mtbr member

Sram Shifters Matched to Shamino Derailleur - Possible?

Hi there,

I currently have an Sram X9 setup (FD, RD, Shifters) on my HiFi Pro. I just ordered a Shamino XTR RD online... My shifter and derailleur aren't going to like one another, are they? I just read a few posts about this....

My questions is, would a new XTR RD and a 2013 Sram XO shifter mix? Or is this just too much of a pain to deal with?

I am a thumb shifting Sram loving guy... Shamino shifters can't go thumb, can they?

Help!
    MTB: 2011 Trek HiFi Pro 29er
    ROAD: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I assume you are talking 10 speed? You need to use a Shimano shifter. All the 10 speed Shimano shifters SLX and above (and maybe even Deore) allow thumb or finger shifting.

mtbr member
    Yeah, 10 speed rear...

So I'm clear, you can shift a Shimano XT or XTR shifter the same way you can shift a Sram shifter (all thumb, no index finger) and all from behind the bars?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikcolin View Post
    Yeah, 10 speed rear...

So I'm clear, you can shift a Shimano XT or XTR shifter the same way you can shift a Sram shifter (all thumb, no index finger) and all from behind the bars?
    Yes. Quite nice, actually.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

dadamamabooboo
    You can mix components (meaning sram and shimano) between shifters and fd's, but you can't with shifters and rd's. you're gonna have to go all sram or all shimano for that pairing. the pulls are different.
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er 21", SRAM 10-sp X9, X9 type 2 RD, SRAM X7 20(oval)/36 & SRAM X9 2X FD, Shimano XT M771 11-36, M525 hub

mtbr member
    Not true. There are quite a few reports both here and on Pinkbike about how a shimano clutch RD works well with SRAM 9spd shifters. Apatently it works 'pretty well' stock and 'very well' if you slip a few washers under the cable pinch point.

I've seen pics of SLX, XT and XTR setups with SRAM triggers.

Here's one from Singletrackworld:
    9 Speed SRAM Shifter with a Shimano 10 Speed Clutch Rear Mech... will it work? Singletrack Forum

Edit: never mind. I see now you're looking at mixing XTR and X01. Yeah, that won't work.

dadamamabooboo
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    Not true. There are quite a few reports both here and on Pinkbike about how a shimano clutch RD works well with SRAM 9spd shifters. Apatently it works 'pretty well' stock and 'very well' if you slip a few washers under the cable pinch point.

I've seen pics of SLX, XT and XTR setups with SRAM triggers.

Here's one from Singletrackworld:
    9 Speed SRAM Shifter with a Shimano 10 Speed Clutch Rear Mech... will it work? Singletrack Forum

Edit: never mind. I see now you're looking at mixing XTR and X01. Yeah, that won't work.
    Yeah, I'll grant you can make many things 'work'. Sounds like most of those posters are making it work by adding variations of washers behind the pinch bolt. I suppose if I already had these components to work with, I'd give it a try too, but if I'm buying from scratch I think I'd avoid a 'potential' headache and go with the conventional thinking about mix/matching. Also, the link mentions mixing a sram x9 9-speed shifter with the 10-speed shimano rd....I didn't see where the op mentions whether he has a 9 or 10-speed shifter, if this detail makes a difference, just that he does have a x9 shifter.

I'm making a sram x9 fd work with a 20/36 hybrid + bash that isn't supposed to work either, but only because I already had the fd around to begin with. Like your link, it took a bit of tweaking to make work. thanks for sharing that link arandombiker.

EDIT: just saw arandombikers edit and had missed that he was gonna use the sram xo too now...agreed..no go.
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er 21", SRAM 10-sp X9, X9 type 2 RD, SRAM X7 20(oval)/36 & SRAM X9 2X FD, Shimano XT M771 11-36, M525 hub

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I've decided to buy Shimano XTR shifters. I'll be all Shimano as my FD and crankset are all XT. #shimanoforthewin

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just to kick the hornets nest, why not just buy a Sram derailleur? Why buy new rear Der AND new shifters? Am I missing something?

If I were you, I'd save the cash and put it towards something else.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Agree

Sent from my G3 using Tapatalk.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    Just to kick the hornets nest, why not just buy a Sram derailleur? Why buy new rear Der AND new shifters? Am I missing something?

He started with SRAM. Maybe he wanted to go all Shimano?
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post

Good question. I bought the XTR RD online a few days ago, now that I have it, I figure I might as well go all the way and try something different. Truth be told I was planning on upgrading my X9 shifters to XO anyways, so it's more of a lateral move. Now I'll be Shimano across the board.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    + Shimano seems to be a lot cheaper than Sram nowadays.

I used to be Sram all the way on my MTB, but now I've gone back to Shimano as its hard to justify the price of X01, XX1, X0 compared to XTR.
    Lapierre XR29ei, Chris King LB Carbon, Sram X0
    On-One Scandal 29er SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcbarny View Post
    + Shimano seems to be a lot cheaper than Sram nowadays.

I used to be Sram all the way on my MTB, but now I've gone back to Shimano as its hard to justify the price of X01, XX1, X0 compared to XTR.
    That's something I've noticed. I just picked up XTR SL-M980-A shifters (left and right) for $120 shipped brand new! Couldn't believe it.