"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"

SRAM Rise 60, Carbon 29"

Anyone have any experience with these wheels?

Any idea on the weight?

Thanks in Advance....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    Anyone have any experience with these wheels?

Any idea on the weight?

Thanks in Advance....

Claimed weight is around 1420. They aren't out yet so no real world numbers.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I got a set today....without rim strips, valves or anything else: 1520 grams on our park tool scale.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Ronin View Post
    I got a set today....without rim strips, valves or anything else: 1520 grams on our park tool scale.
    Congrats to you...Post some pics and your impressions ....
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

when on the scale together they were 1520 grams. I couldn't get tires on them today so I will have to let you know tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    3Ronin: How do you like the sram rise 60 wheels?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Also interested if they setup tubeless without much hassle? Anyone have them guess too many other options at that price point now, everyone seems to be leaning toward rovals or reynolds.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Bro Mountainbiker
    Any more real world weights? 1/4 pound heavier than advertised seems a little strange.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    they were a serious ***** to setup tubeless, never had such a hard time with any other set of wheels, its a very tricky process, not every tire i have tried will work either, luckily i have setup a few hundred wheels tubeless by now and also have several tires at my disposal since i work in the industry.
    I had the first set of these wheels and then they changed the rim profile slightly to make them go tubeless easier...easier to setup tubeless meaning a comparison of shedding a few lbs off a mack truck...meaning still not easy, just slightly easier, like now i can get 3 tires out of 7 that i tried instead of 1 or 2.

Bro Mountainbiker
    they were a serious ***** to setup tubeless, never had such a hard time with any other set of wheels, its a very tricky process, not every tire i have tried will work either, luckily i have setup a few hundred wheels tubeless by now and also have several tires at my disposal since i work in the industry.
    I had the first set of these wheels and then they changed the rim profile slightly to make them go tubeless easier...easier to setup tubeless meaning a comparison of shedding a few lbs off a mack truck...meaning still not easy, just slightly easier, like now i can get 3 tires out of 7 that i tried instead of 1 or 2.
    Because of air escaping from the sidewall causing them not to pop into place?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    I tried to set some up also, though my experience is only with 3 other ( TLR, TCS and AC) rim types and a few dozen tires.
    From my perspective, the problem with the Rise 60s is that they have a rim bed profile that is not conducive to setting the bead tubeless. The bed shape is somewhere between ) and > instead of like } or ]

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    I tried to set some up also, though my experience is only with 3 other ( TLR, TCS and AC) rim types and a few dozen tires.
    From my perspective, the problem with the Rise 60s is that they have a rim bed profile that is not conducive to setting the bead tubeless. The bed shape is somewhere between ) and > instead of like } or ]
    thats a very good way to describe it for people that understand what you mean by those keyboard shapes.

The other main problem i see is the depth of the bed, it is too deep, the tire sits too low, below the bead meaning it will leak out and not push itself up into the bead, this is more of an issue i think, based on the fact that i dont ever have an issue once they are setup there has been no issues, no pinch flats or anything along those lines, so even if the bead isnt the best it holds the tire and holds the air well and as testing has shown it is strong with that design of a bead, it just doesnt help to get a tire inflated because the bed sits lower than the bead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    thats a very good way to describe it for people that understand what you mean by those keyboard shapes.

The other main problem i see is the depth of the bed, it is too deep, the tire sits too low, below the bead meaning it will leak out and not push itself up into the bead, this is more of an issue i think, based on the fact that i dont ever have an issue once they are setup there has been no issues, no pinch flats or anything along those lines, so even if the bead isnt the best it holds the tire and holds the air well and as testing has shown it is strong with that design of a bead, it just doesnt help to get a tire inflated because the bed sits lower than the bead.
    I just got mine and am extremely disappointed at how friggn difficult to setup tubeless.(Ain't nobody got time for that!) My Enves setup super easy. More than likely, these things are getting sold!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ludachris View Post
    I just got mine and am extremely disappointed at how friggn difficult to setup tubeless.(Ain't nobody got time for that!) My Enves setup super easy. More than likely, these things are getting sold!
    I feel your pain man...what tires are you trying to mount ?
    BMC TE29X0
    Strummer Chubbs XT
    Strummer F.Lite XX1

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The Geax Saguro TNT tire. The funny thing is that this tire has a very tight fit, in fact Stan's recommends that you don't even put them on their rims they are so tight.
    If I paid full price for these, I would be friggn pissed, instead I'm just sad that I either have to sell or use tubes. Not interested in buying more tires.
    I just had my 2013 Orbea Occam XC race bike built up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I was using the same tires, surprisingly those are one of the few that mounted up on those rims for me. Maxxis ignitors also worked which are my favorite tire...Schwalbe were super tough to get sealed.

I would suggest a ratchet strap and a really high volume compressor and filler...no valve core adapter for schrader right ? gotta do it directly to presta with a good air gun....and a LOT of soap.

One trick i do is using a rim strip on the outside of the tire. It can be tricky to get it mounted up and not slide off one side or the other but once you get it on it helps a lot to apply even pressure around the tire. I mostly use 26" rim strips.
    BMC TE29X0
    Strummer Chubbs XT
    Strummer F.Lite XX1

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Anyone, by chance, have a list of 29er tires that they have been able to mount tubeless without too much grief?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Had a bit of trouble to start with, used stans yellow tape and found had air leaking from under tape and out the spoke holes. The problem was mainly the offset drilling of the spoke holes from the factory making the narrower sealing area under the tape on one side. I replaced the stans tape with 25mm gorrilla brand tape (as it is a bit wider and sticks better to the carbon) wrapping it twice around the rim, first wrap trying to get as much tape over the holes and hard up against and even up the rim wall. The second wrap on the other side to even things up. Mounted tyre used some soap took out presta valve and spun the tyre on the rim a bit and inflated with a compressor, instant seal every time with any tyre.

mtbr member
    i stuck a few wraps of gorilla tape on mine also and the 2.4 ardents inflated no problem after that. been fine now for months
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    May 2008

Any burping?

Has anyone else had a problem with burping these rims? I converted them to tubeless with Stans Rim strip and Maxxis Ikon tires. I have burped them twice and pinch flatted them twice, where they develop a leak where the bead and the tire merge...that stans won't seal.

I was running this setup at 20 psi and have been increasing the psi to try and find a psi that keeps both of these things from happening. I am running 25 psi and still having this problem.

This has only been happening on the back wheel.

Trail Ninja
    I burp all my tubeless setups, including UST (Haven + XR4 TLR), but the only time I had to stop and fix it on my Rise 60 was one time I over shot the 1st jump in a rhythm section, had no runway for 2nd, and burped the front trying to avoid hitting 2nd jump. Was still a bit moist inside, but had to put a tube in it since it lost its seal and the beads were unseated. Was 20-25 psi in a 2.3 purg 2bliss control, running split-tube ghetto. I burp the back a lot, but i put plenty of air in to allow for that and still ride, cause it's only occasional and serves as a reminder that I'm on a trail bike.

My issue with this wheelset is that when I pull the rear wheel out, the weight of the cassette pops the end cap and freehub off. Then I end up with pawls all over. I remember one time I was looking for a missing one all over the dirt, only to embarrassingly find it was still in the hub stuck to the drive ring. Are the end caps supposed come with something to help keep them on, like an o-ring? Other than that, it's a very nice balanced wheelset that has it all and is surprisingly tough, with trustworthy carbon rims (I think made by Zipp in the US). Quick enough engagement to not not make that annoying thunk whenever I get on the gas (like on DTs), despite being spoiled by i9 and CKs. Only wish the early version came with UST. Not sure if my tire/tube is not completely seated of if I f'd up in that front wheel mishap, but I have to see if it needs its first truing, otherwise it's been maintenance free other than a cleaning and greasing the pawls and drivering on the rear since it got dirty.

I don't trust tape-only tubeless nor special rim strips on a rim with a curved inside. If they had a "shelf", my first choice would be the Bonty TLR strip, followed by DT strip, and in a distant third, the Stan's strip. I tried a Bonty TLR strip and got the tire to hold air with 2-3 nice bead seating popping sounds (which gives me good confidence in the tubeless reliability), but somehow trust split-tube more, especially with this rim shape.