mtbr member
    Jan 2012

SRAM 2x10 crankset question

Sorry for the n00b question that has probably been answered many times.

I have a 2012 Giant Anthem X4 29er. It's got a 2x10 SRAM X5 drivetrain.

The crankset is 2x10 with 24t and 36t chainrings. I want to swap out the 24t for a 22t so that I don't have to grind so much up some of the long steep stuff.

There are 2 stickers on the 36t ring:

"Use SRAM chain only"
    "Use with 24B-V1 only"

What's going to happen if I put a 22t ring on there? I'm guessing the shifting may not be as clean, but that it's ok to do it? Should I put a SRAM/Truvativ ring on there?

Thanks,
    Bob

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Doh...I thought I was in the Drivetrain forum. Mods, please feel free to move.

Thanks,
    Bob

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It's worth a try if you can find a replacement in that size. I wouldn't worry much about the stickers. My shimano stuff says to only use their chain, and I've used SRAM and kmc with no problems. For the chain ring, just make sure it doesn't cause the chain to rub on your frame. It should be fine since most triples have a 22....but these things do vary from bike to bike.

Never Forget 9-11
    What's the gear ratio on your cassette?
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Cassette is an 11-36. The setup has served me well everywhere and in some places I don't use the 36, but there's one place where some of the toughest climbs come towards the end of the ride and I'm pretty gassed by that point. I've been able to get up them, but my lower back and knees start to complain.

Thanks,
    Bob

Never Forget 9-11
    I was going to suggest going with a bigger gear on the cassette but since you are already at a 36 I would call these guys Mountain Bike Parts | Chainrings | Chainguides | Stems | Handlebars | Pedals | Seatposts | | Blackspire and see if they can help you out.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.