mtbr member

Sr Suntour XCM V3 29/Reba RL 29 swap

Just to put a couple of numbers out there for people that may wonder...
    I just put a new to me 2012 Reba RL on my 13 Speesh RH 29er in place of the boat anchorish Sr Suntour XCM... Holy Hollywood diet Batman!!!

2.26 pound weight loss in a matter of 15 minutes (beer cracking included) Sr Pogostick was 2590g and Reba RL 1564g

Let the wheelies and bunny hops commence

mtbr member
    and I'm not experiencing the 50 Shades of Stanchions either...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yep, those Suntour XCM forms make for a fine boat anchor. Enjoy the new fork!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Ive done exact same conversion, same bike, same fork (RShox RL dual air). I noticed the yellow sticker on the suntour after 100km of XC/jumps, and had to chuckle at the 'not for jumps, xc, or anything besides riding to the milkbar' sticker.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Not a Reba, but I swapped out for a Recon Gold with the same weight results. It makes SUCH a huge difference. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I swapped a Suntour XCR for a Reba RLT. What a change. Didn't even really think about the weight saving it was more about the handling of the bike. Improved the bikes handling out of sight. Steering, control and comfort are so much better. Felt like a different bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yeah i'm saving for a Reba also...should shave a kg of weight.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    The weight savings is nice, but eventually you get used to it...then you look for some other way to save weight. lol

Village Newbie
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Not a Reba, but I swapped out for a Recon Gold with the same weight results. It makes SUCH a huge difference. Enjoy!
    Same here, changed out the xcm for a Recon Gold 2 days ago, I was actually able to get on trails that were more advanced without being beaten to death or pogo'd off the bike. I was pogo'd off the bike a lot last year, so far the only times I've been off has been voluntary. The marlin is responsive i love this bike more now.

mtbr member
    To everyone who responded...as most I come from a 26er...9 yrs ago(got married had kids(3))! Just started riding again this spring on a 29er and that xcm fork was just as good as the Marzocchi XC on my Cannondale so i just muscled through it. Needless to say, with the geometry of a 29er it was killing me and I was considering a new 650b as my next course of action. Thanks to the Reba RL my whole ride has changed for the better and the 650b is just an afterthought. It's so nice to be flickable and confident again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This type of change is like buying a new bike. With this and a couple more small upgrades--- a light front wheel and tire and an SLX front brake you will be on something so much better you won't need to think about a new bike for a long time.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Wheelset is my next upgrade. Deciding if I want to build one or get a used set of Racelites for $350.