Thread: spokes breaking

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

spokes breaking

had a spoke break on a ride the other day , took my 12 epic into the shop to get it replaced. next day they call stating that they replaced the spoke but when they try to true the wheel the other spokes are breaking. so they are going to replace all the nipples to stop it from happening. the shop stated the nipples are too dry. any advice on this? i have only been riding for a little over a year and dont know much about spokes and wheels. my bike was bought new about march. should i be lubing spokes and nipples?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No, you shouldn't be "lubing spokes and nipples". Usually when you build a wheel you use either a special compound (spoke prep), linseed oil, or other lubricant on the threaded end of the spoke. But even if you build a wheel "dry" it shouldn't cause the spokes to break unless there is corrosion and the nipple and spoke get stuck. (Most stock wheels are built by machines and not by hand, but I don't know if they use anything type of spoke prep compound or lubricant).

I'm a little suspicious of your shop. There could be a problem with your wheel, but it sure sounds like an inept, unexperienced mechanic to me.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

spokes breaking

Quote Originally Posted by mike91 View Post
    had a spoke break on a ride the other day , took my 12 epic into the shop to get it replaced. next day they call stating that they replaced the spoke but when they try to true the wheel the other spokes are breaking. so they are going to replace all the nipples to stop it from happening. the shop stated the nipples are too dry. any advice on this? i have only been riding for a little over a year and dont know much about spokes and wheels. my bike was bought new about march. should i be lubing spokes and nipples?
    If the spokes are breaking replacing the nipples will fix nothing.
    "Dry" nipples can be lubed without replacing anything, and is needed only if/when the wheel is trued.

If this was my wheel I would completely relace the wheel with new spokes and nipples, and not let this LBS touch it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    50% Acetone and 50% ATF makes the best corrosion breaking penetrant. Your should put it ina glass jar and shake it up before putting a little on each nip and probably waiting overnight Brass nipples would be better.
    Rusty bolts? Make your own super rust penetrant! Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Plays with tools
    Are the heads shearing off the nipples? Common result of spokes being to short. Swapping from aluminum to brass is a half baked solution but normally works. Still better to rebuild the wheel with spokes a mm or two longer.