mtbr member

Spoke sizes on XT M785 29er wheels?

After a pinchflat on my biggest event of the season I decided to finally bite the bullet and go tubeless!

So, my new XT M785 29er UST wheels were delivered yesterday

But.... the spokes are 'straight pull', like nothing I've had before, so none of my spares will fit.

So, anyone know what size spokes the XT 29er wheels take, so I can order a few spares?

I'm assuming like other wheels there will be different lengths front/rear due to lacing, and even side to side due to dish, or are straight pull spokes one-size-fits-all?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Here are the specs;

Spokes: Butted (2.0-1.8-2.0)/Round

right from Universal Cycles -- Shimano WH-M785 XT 29er Wheels

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Sorry, realise I didn't make it clear in my original post - but its the length I'm after, not diameter...
    Last edited by PerthMTB; 11-03-2012 at 04:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I think that you will need to order specific XT spokes for your wheel. I'm guessing wherever you get them for they will have maximum 4 sizes for 29er....front and rear and drive side/non drive side
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Yep, was expecting to get the proper Shimano spokes, just didn't know what size. So far managed to establish I'll need two different sizes as the front left are same as rear right, and front right same as rear left.

Despite finding out that the Shimano tech docs/part diagrams have the spoke sizes on them, I'm still in the dark as to the actual sizes for my wheel as apparrently its a new model and Shimano haven't published tech docs for it yet!

Have got an email outstanding to the Shimano distributor so hopefully they can tell me...

mtbr member
    I have those wheels. Actually I have the WH-MT75 which I think are 99.85% the same. Were great until I broke a spoke. The spokes and "nipple" are very different from all I have seen before.

The spokes have a nut on on end in the hub and then a "plug" with a washer in place of the nipple. And the spoke has a small flat spot up by the plug-nipple for getting the nut on and truing the wheel. You do not turn the plug-nipple to true the wheel.You turn the flat spot which in turn tensions the spoke by threading itself further into the hub-nut.

The red plug-nipple, takes a 4.4mm wrench. The plug-nipple has to be ordered from Shimano.

Then you have to order the nut that goes into the hub. It is very tiny and super hard to get on. A Shimano tech in a support van even had trouble and he had all the proper tools and experience.

Another thread about these wheels.
    Shimano XT WH-MT75 Nipple Size

My Opinion:
    Overall I do not like the design. They wheels held up fine for three years until the rear started breaking spokes. Between the cost of five new spoke/plug/nut combos ($80) the special wrenches, frustration and now lack of confidence in the wheel, I wish I had just tossed the rear the day it broke a spoke.
    Last edited by Raymo853; 11-04-2012 at 05:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by millertm View Post
    Here are the specs;

Spokes: Butted (2.0-1.8-2.0)/Round

right from Universal Cycles -- Shimano WH-M785 XT 29er Wheels

Mark
    Universal Cyclist's info is wrong. They are not round but have a special flat spot used for truing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853 View Post
    I have those wheels. Actually I have the WH-MT75 which I think are 99.85% the same. Were great until I broke a spoke. The spokes and "nipple" are very different from all I have seen before.

The spokes have a nut on on end in the hub and then a "plug" with a washer in place of the nipple. And the spoke has a small flat spot up by the plug-nipple for getting the nut on and truing the wheel. You do not turn the plug-nipple to true the wheel.You turn the flat spot which in turn tensions the spoke by threading itself further into the hub-nut.

The red plug-nipple, takes a 4.4mm wrench. The plug-nipple has to be ordered from Shimano.

Then you have to order the nut that goes into the hub. It is very tiny and super hard to get on. A Shimano tech in a support van even had trouble and he had all the proper tools and experience.

Another thread about these wheels.
    Shimano XT WH-MT75 Nipple Size

My Opinion:
    Overall I do not like the design. They wheels held up fine for three years until the rear started breaking spokes. Between the cost of five new spoke/plug/nut combos ($80) the special wrenches, frustration and now lack of confidence in the wheel, I wish I had just tossed the rear the day it broke a spoke.
    Hi Raymo, I'm beginning to realise that I may have taken on a whole lot of hassle by buying wheels with 'non-standard' spokes, and your experiences back that up!

You're right that the MT75 are very similar, but the flanges on the hub where the spokes screw in are slightly different, so I can't be confident they take exactly the same length spoke. Which is unfortunate, because I've been able to find out what size spokes the MT75 take - its 301mm & 303mm, but I can't find out what size my wheels take

mtbr member
    Woops. I should've tried the first link before posting it. It requires a password to get in. Sorry about that. The catalogue works, but it doesn't include your wheels.

P̶e̶r̶h̶a̶p̶s̶ ̶a̶s̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶:̶ ̶[̶u̶r̶l̶]̶w̶w̶w̶.̶m̶a̶d̶i̶s̶o̶n̶b̶2̶b̶.̶c̶o̶.̶u̶k̶[̶/̶u̶r̶l̶]̶ ̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶p̶o̶k̶e̶ ̶l̶e̶n̶g̶t̶h̶ ̶c̶a̶t̶a̶l̶o̶g̶u̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶v̶a̶r̶i̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶s̶h̶i̶m̶a̶n̶o̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶e̶l̶s̶:̶ ̶[̶u̶r̶l̶]̶w̶w̶w̶.̶m̶a̶d̶i̶s̶o̶n̶b̶2̶b̶.̶c̶o̶.̶u̶k̶/̶n̶e̶t̶a̶l̶o̶g̶u̶e̶/̶.̶.̶.̶/̶M̶T̶B̶_̶s̶p̶o̶k̶e̶_̶k̶i̶t̶.̶x̶l̶s̶x̶[̶/̶u̶r̶l̶]̶ ̶ ̶I̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶l̶u̶d̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶2̶9̶e̶r̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶M̶7̶8̶5̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶m̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶t̶a̶i̶l̶s̶.̶ ̶ ̶

Tim

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm not sure if any particular measurement will help.....especially as the spokes are proprietary. On the bright side, there won't be many shimano XT spokes to choose from, as they'll only have sets for 26 and 29. 29er spokes are typically in the 290mm range

Try measuring from the rim to the flange end of the spoke for all 4 'sides'. You'll at least be able to see roughly if you require 2,3 or 4 different sizes.

Ordering wise - well its fair to say Shimano australia is pretty average. It took them about 9 months to get XTR spokes in one time.....and they even managed to be out of Shimano pedal cleats for quite a while. My bet would be a big place like Wheelbuilder, which has the size to carry odd spares like that.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Thanks Wombat, good thought on Madison, and in fact I've already sent them an email, but gather they can take a while to reply to consumer queries....

Seems my particular wheel model is just too new in the market for anyone to have info on it - including Shimano themselves, who haven't published tech docs on it yet (which is where they usually list the spoke sizes and part numbers) and even the instructions that came with them were for the 26" version!

Hi Alex, just want to be able to go into a shop and order x number of Shimano XT spokes in yyymm length - like to make it as easy as possible for them! So far I've managed to establish there's only two sizes for Shimano MTB wheelsets - right front/left rear are the same, and left front/right rear the same. Raymo's wheels above - MT75 - are very similar and have 301mm & 303mm spokes, but considering the price of these sopkes - about $10 each - I want to make sure I order the right ones, and when there's only 2mm difference I don't trust making my own measurements with the spokes in the wheel - there could be that much thread hidden from view!

Looks like I might just have to wait until spares data on these wheels starts to filter out into the marketplace. At least I'm not waiting to repair one at the mo, just wanting to get some in advance as a precaution - which sounds like a good path to take considering the stories you guys have passed on about waiting ages to get spokes in when you need them!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Update: Here's the reply from Madison, the UK distributor for Shimano...

"Thank you for your email. The XT 29er wheels are a new product and we have not had the spares information for them. The spokes will be available in the near future. Regards, Shimano."

I'm a great fan of Shimano, their engineerig is excellent, and in my experience of using them for 30 odd years - their products just work!

So, I'm a little surprised and disappointed that this time they didn't have the foresight to get manuals, parts diagrams, and spares out in the marketplace at the same time as the products themselves. Its not like they don't have the spokes - they're using them to make the wheels afterall, and although a 'new' product, my wheels had a manufacture date of July 2012, so they've been around a while.

Maybe its just a sign that this proliferation of new standards (29er, 650B, etc.), and scramble to bring out new product every six months in todays ultra-competitive components market, is stretching even the big boys abilities to provide adequate backup and spares support?
    Last edited by PerthMTB; 11-06-2012 at 07:10 PM.