mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Specialized Storm 29'er

When I had a 26'er HT I used to run Specialized Storm mud tyres in the winter over here in the UK and they'd grip in any sort of slop we get.

However since building my 29'er I've been running the Ground Control S-Works and they're great tyres, but slightly lacking in proper sloppy mud.

Are Specialized planning on releasing the Storm in 29" any time soon?

usually cranky
    doubt it. the butcher is slated to be a 2013 release but that is as aggressive as spec is getting this year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Have you tried the narrowest Ground Control? Those seem to do pretty good in mud. If you want a good mud tire, I'd look at the Maxxis Beaver.

mtbr member
    I loved the Storm control in 26. The closest I have been able to find in 29 is WTBs Moto 1.9 29er.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Interesting. I love the 2 -inch Storm Controls on my 26" full susser. I got them for last winter when my 2.25 Ardents proved completely useless in the mud, but i'm continuing to use the Storms now the trails have dried out. My brother got them first on his Racer-X and their mud grip was so superior to the Ardents that I went straight out and bought a pair for the Flux. I've got Maxxis Icon Exo's on my new 29er and they are proving pretty good for most things at the moment. I'd buy 29er Storms if they were avail as I'm not convinced the Icons will grip when it gets really muddy. I found the 26" Storms very easy to mount tubeless with stans on my Stans 355 wheels.

usually cranky
    seems i spoke too soon, scroll about 25% down:

Special Report: Specialized 2013 29"er Product Launch- Updated again!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Update.

I got some Storm 29ers the moment I spotted them in my local bike shop. I took them home and had a wrestling match trying to mount them on my stands Arch EX 29er rims. In the end I just gave up and took them back to the shop. One of the guys there also tried and failed so I got a refund. I really like the tyres on the 26er and I believe the newer EX design is much tighter, so I've bought some original Arch rims. As soon as the wheels are rebuilt I'll give the Storm 29ers another go. In any case I hate the feeling that I'll have to struggle to re-mount a tyre on the trail so I'll be more confident in any case.

Will update when wheels are rebuilt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for that. I'm gonna try the Storms first as I've been so pleased with them for allround use on my 26 inch Stans 355 rims on my Flux. I found they did really well on dry trails too. If I have any probs with the 29er version then I have seen good reports of the Beaver.
    I 've done a few very muddy Merida/Wiggel 50k marathon events in Wales and I found the difference between the Ardents and Storm Control to be night and day. The ardents were fine in the dry and damp but once you get real mud the Ardents were hopeless - where the Storms made it rideable.