mtbr member

Specialized Purgatory 2.4/2.3

How do these tires compare in volume and size to the Maxxis Ardent 2.4/2.25.

I'm not really worried about the 2.4 up front, it's the 2.3 that I have a question about, how much different is it from the Maxxis Ardent 2.25. I have not too much clearance on my Honzo for super fat tires but I'm itching to try something new after yesterday's disastrous first time outing in the mud with the Ardents.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Eurospek, your wording is a bit confusing. Are you saying you are looking for a rear tire only?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I run the purgatories 2.4 front and rear on the Karate monkey. Great grip and tread, run tubeless. I think they make a 2.25 in addition to the 2.4. I think they are pretty close in size, what kind of rim do you have? Mine are BIG on a velocity P-35.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Eurospek, your wording is a bit confusing. Are you saying you are looking for a rear tire only?
    Rear only as I know the front 2.4 will be no problem for me. I just want to know how big the 2.3 runs and if I can fit that in the back. Clearance is minimal with an Ardent 2.4, that's why I run a 2.25 ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    I run the purgatories 2.4 front and rear on the Karate monkey. Great grip and tread, run tubeless. I think they make a 2.25 in addition to the 2.4. I think they are pretty close in size, what kind of rim do you have? Mine are BIG on a velocity P-35.
    They used to make a 2.25, but it's sold out on the Specialized website, and the 2.4 is also an outlet tire on there as well. Looks to be phased out for the new 2.3 size exclusively.

I'm running Sun Ringle Charger Experts, 28mm wide rim.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Rear only as I know the front 2.4 will be no problem for me. I just want to know how big the 2.3 runs and if I can fit that in the back. Clearance is minimal with an Ardent 2.4, that's why I run a 2.25 ATM.

They used to make a 2.25, but it's sold out on the Specialized website, and the 2.4 is also an outlet tire on there as well. Looks to be phased out for the new 2.3 size exclusively.

I'm running Sun Ringle Charger Experts, 28mm wide rim.
    Not sure if this will help. 2.4 Purg. up front/ rear 2.2 Trail King. Both are taller than the Ardent as I recall, not sure on the width. I don't think they are that wide on Bon. Duster's. The trail King is a nice tire also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Purgatory 2.4/2.3-img_0406.jpg  

Last edited by rjedoaks; 11-15-2012 at 05:45 PM.

beater
    Yes, they redesigned the Purgatory slightly and now it is only available in 2.3.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I have both an old 2.2" Purgatory, and the newer 2.3" version. They are roughly the same width by my eyeball put end to end. The new Purgatory rolls better than the old one and is still one of the better front tires I have tried on 29" wheels. The 2.1" Ground Control as a rear tire coupled with the new 2.3" Purgatory in front make an excellent tire package for our local trails here in SoCal.

mtbr member

2013 Purgatory 2.3 vs 2012 Purgatory 2.2 width

The Purgatory 2.2 has been my go to tyre for most of my riding - currently using it on the front of my TB and f/r of my Stumpy FSR 29er. I have been using Hans Dampf on my RIP9, but they are massive and subsequently very draggy in anything remotely wet/muddy (ie Scotland for 9 months of the year).

So I thought I'd invest in something in between widths so I can downsize on the RIP9 and put a bigger Purgatory upfront on the Stumpy.

Received the 2.3s today - stuck them on and they are narrower than the 2012 2.2s !

(I have 2.4s but they feel heavier than the Hans Dampf)

Anyone got a recommendation for something inbetween a Purg 2.2 and a Hans Dampf ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    I have both an old 2.2" Purgatory, and the newer 2.3" version. They are roughly the same width by my eyeball put end to end. The new Purgatory rolls better than the old one and is still one of the better front tires I have tried on 29" wheels. The 2.1" Ground Control as a rear tire coupled with the new 2.3" Purgatory in front make an excellent tire package for our local trails here in SoCal.
    That is the combination I'm runnning in MD. Love it also.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Purgatory

For a rear tire that hooks up well and is moderately wide I am using the Spec. Ground Control 2.3. It's a narrow 2.3 IMO but grabs well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    For those that have ridden on the old 29x2.2 Purgatory and the new 2.3, how do they compare?

Is the rolling resistance actually noticeable or is it just a placebo effect?

Equal or better cornering grip as a front tire?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by vwvapor View Post
    For those that have ridden on the old 29x2.2 Purgatory and the new 2.3, how do they compare?

Is the rolling resistance actually noticeable or is it just a placebo effect?

Equal or better cornering grip as a front tire?

It's noticeable IMHO (although that is admittedly purely by the seat of my pants), and it isn't any 'grippier', but seems to be comparable to the old 2.2".

And I would agree that it (the new 2.3" Purgatory) did seem possibly a tiny bit narrower than the old 2.2" Purgatory, but never actually measured. Pretty close though.

Based on the new one seemingly rolling better and not giving up noticeable grip, I prefer the new one.

mtbr member
    Good article on the new 2.3 tires here.

2013 Specialized 2.3" 29"er Tires: Quick Review

Prime
    Good article on the new 2.3 tires here.

2013 Specialized 2.3" 29"er Tires: Quick Review
    Compared to my personal experiences with each of these tires, spot on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So the Butcher is a better all around 29er front tire than the Purgatory?

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by vwvapor View Post
    So the Butcher is a better all around 29er front tire than the Purgatory?

I ran a 2.4 Purg front for a while and liked it, but I'll take a Butcher hands down anytime. I've run Butcher front on my 26 for a while and I was very anxious to get a hold of a 29er Butcher. For all around riding it is very impressive. I've pushed it pretty hard through some rock and felt that I might be taking it near it's limit, but it is extremely durable and has excellent traction. An SX Butcher 29er would be nice although pretty heavy. Maybe a 2.5 Butcher 29.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I echo that. I really like the Butcher 2.3 on the front of my Satori. My only complaint, and it's minor, is its overall size. Back in the day, Spec tires used to be large for their stated size. Now it appears they run small. Still, decent pricing and a very nice tire. I paired it with a Ground Control grid casing on the back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    These reports of smaller than advertised sizes on the new Speshie tires are bumming me out. Was looking forward to trying something other than Hans Dampf on the front.

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I echo that. I really like the Butcher 2.3 on the front of my Satori. My only complaint, and it's minor, is its overall size. Back in the day, Spec tires used to be large for their stated size. Now it appears they run small. Still, decent pricing and a very nice tire. I paired it with a Ground Control grid casing on the back.
    Are you finding that Grid Ground Control up to the task, Blatant? I've got a Control Ground Control front on my SS, it almost "looks" small for much chunky AM but I like the tread/grip and the rolling.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Are you finding that Grid Ground Control up to the task, Blatant? I've got a Control Ground Control front on my SS, it almost "looks" small for much chunky AM but I like the tread/grip and the rolling.
    Yeah, I'd say I'm happy. I would like a little more volume, but the traction is good, rolls nice and it's not super-heavy. It's survived a couple runs up and down 24th, Hairball and Upper Cheesegrater.

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Yeah, I'd say I'm happy. I would like a little more volume, but the traction is good, rolls nice and it's not super-heavy. It's survived a couple runs up and down 24th, Hairball and Upper Cheesegrater.
    Made a run up Natty Saturday, crossed to Telegraph Pass, dropped Kiwanis. Prime was more capable than I was, I'm beating my rear Purgatory, Butcher is holding up well. I've had some higher speed chunk where I felt that I was pushing my luck with the Butcher, that long left hand sweeper coming down National, but I'm probably 95% pleased with it.

Shorty
    How do these tires compare in volume and size to the Maxxis Ardent 2.4/2.25.

I'm not really worried about the 2.4 up front, it's the 2.3 that I have a question about, how much different is it from the Maxxis Ardent 2.25. I have not too much clearance on my Honzo for super fat tires but I'm itching to try something new after yesterday's disastrous first time outing in the mud with the Ardents.

Thanks!

Recently purchased a Spec. 2.3 Purgatory S-works for rear tire (642 grams). It is noticeably more narrow than my Kenda Nevegal 2.35 & Maxxis Ardent 2.25.

Perpetual n00b
    It doesn't look that narrow on a Flow and the grip is great even in the snow

When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

mtbr member
    Definitely doesn't. Should be similar on my Sun Ringle Charger Expert wheelset.

In terms of price on these Spec tires, any chance of getting these below MSRP?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Definitely doesn't. Should be similar on my Sun Ringle Charger Expert wheelset.

In terms of price on these Spec tires, any chance of getting these below MSRP?
    If you buy three or four at I time most LBS's will cut you a break. $5.00 a tire here.