mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Specialized Camber Upgrade

I have a 2012 Specialized Camber 29er. I love the bike, love the ride, but I am looking to upgrade components on the bike but I don't know where to start. I think the shifters, derailleur's front and rear, breaks front and rear, seat post, and maybe wheels to lighten things up. I am new to MB's so I don't know a whole lot about brands and who makes the best products. I have $1,000-$1,300 to invest in the bike. What would be your top 5 mods to do to the bike. Like I said, I am new to this world and I really need quality input. Ready Set GO!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That's a nice bike, if it were me, I would perhaps start with the baseline/heavy tire/wheel package and drive-train.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If your Camber is the one with the Rock Shox Recon Gold TK, see if it's possible to upgrade the damper cartridge from TK (TurnKey) to a Motion Control damper. If it's possible, the cartridge should be around $60+/-. Doubt it will make the bike lighter, but the fork should perform better. Next thing I would consider, would be the wheelset. Here, you can lose some weight and gain some performance advantages.

Your drivetrain on the base line Camber FSR is a 9 speed variety, but I don't see a real need to change that out as it would be expensive compared to the advantages gained by going to 10 speed. However, the stock cassette is a pretty low end boat anchor, so an XT or SRAM PG-990 cassette will be lighter and won't gouge up the likely aluminum freehub body you'll be sporting with a new lighter wheelset.

The next thing I would swap out would be the brakeset. I'd go with Shimano SLX or XT. That may save a little weight, but the performance gain should be very noticeable.

Depending on how much you spend on the wheelset, you might still have something leftover for a carbon handlebar of your liking.

Then, ditch the stock Captain Sport tires for something truly sporty and light like some Schwalbe Racing Ralphs which will lighten you bike by about 300g (f&r) for the 2.25" versions. That'll pretty much eat up your budget, and maybe a little more.

Thanks for that exercise. It's always fun to spend other people's money for them ;~)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks Jeff! That was the information I am looking for! What wheel set would you recommend?

Competent User

I have that same bike and I have changed almost every single part on it, short of the fork, shock and front derailleur.

There's a limit to how stiff you can make it, which I think is the bike's downfall, and I'm looking to get a new bike.

For me? Best upgrades were Sun Ringlé Charger Pro wheels and a rock shox reverb dropper.

Good luck.

Competent User

Oh wait! The brakes. They were awful. I have SLX now and it's SO much better. Except now the flexy front end can be more apparent.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptorguy89 View Post
    Thanks Jeff! That was the information I am looking for! What wheel set would you recommend?
    If you've got the budget, I'd consider the Light Bicycle AM carbon rims. If not, then either WTB i23 Frequency, Stans Flow or Arch EX laced to some bomber hubs like Hope, King, Hadley or DT-Swiss with some tried and true DT-Swiss Competition spokes. Personally, I like the DT-Swiss star ratchet hubs for their strength and simplicity. King and Hadley are damned strong, but not as easy to service. Hope are pretty good quality, and easy enough to service, just not as strong or simple as the DT-Swiss. Most are convertible to various axle types, but you should check individual parts spec to be certain.

Personally, I tend to shy away from proprietary or hard to source spoke offerings, but you may feel differently.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for all of the info! The overhauled Camber is going to be sweet

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Here is a few mods i have done to mine.
    I have also changed every part of my bike accept for frame and rear shock.😃

Easton haven carbon bar
    ZTR Crest wheelset
    1x10 wolftooth front sprocket no more dropped chains
    smaller stem 70mm 17 degree Easton
    2012 Specialized Camber Expert Carbon

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for the info! I am very interested in the Easton Haven bar. Are you pleased with it? What front end did you put on your bike. I am not a fan of the Rock Shox front fork and I would love to upgrade it. I don't do any serious climbing so a 3 position fork isn't necessary. I am 195lbs so keep that in mind. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Love the easton haven bar. I forgot to mention i do have a 2013 fox ctd on the front and to be honest it has been a little difficult for me to find the sweet spot. I am only a few lbs off your weight and for me found the Descend setting to be best for me more plush. I have been having troubles with finding good traction on the front end swapped tires and a stem upgrade has made a difference.

I am coming off a trek fuel 26er and this bike is faster in everything. I ride this thing like its an endro bike  so you can only set it up so much with a 110 mm fork since its designed for XC. I had a get off from the front end being setup way too stiff for the riding conditions a combination off too much psi and rebound on wet roots and rocks on a downhill section front end washout. 6 stitches i wear pads now. That is a bloody bike in second pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Camber Upgrade-image.jpg  

Specialized Camber Upgrade-image.jpg  

2012 Specialized Camber Expert Carbon

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nice buddy! Thats the one guarantee about two wheeled machines, you're going to hit the dirt when you least expect it! haha! Thanks for all of the great information, you have really given me good things to think about!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    We have the same bike. I have replaced everything except for the frame, fork RD and FD. Brakes(SLX Ice-Tech) were changed 1st, then shifters(XT), wheelset, cockpit(Easton).
    It is still set-up as 9 speed, I have no need for 10 speed at the moment.
    The bike now weight a shy below 29Lbs. and rides much better.

HTH.