Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: spec butcher 29

usually cranky

spec butcher 29

has anyone actually bought one? they went up and sold out super fast. im bummed, maybe my lbs can get me one.

I'm with stupid
    I know I want one, I have the SX on my trail 26er bike.

Prime
    Specialized is saying they'll be available sometime in December. I've ridden one, you won't be disappointed. Not as burly or as sticky as an SX, which I also ride, but by far Specialized's best 29er AM front yet, IMO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Possibly new favorite

I got one this weekend. Put on tubeless but didn't have enough sealant in there... so ran with a tube on my Stumpjumper (front wheel). It's noticeably softer than the purgatory control. Side knobs have a similar pattern although the siping is different and the knobs are a tad larger. Rolls decent and grips like a fiend! Love this tire already. Lots of confidence. Can't wait to run it tubeless and loos some of the rotating mass from the tube.

Rode it on some long fireroad climbs and rocky rooty and damp downhill sections in Pisgah, NC.
    Last edited by Chicote; 10-08-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: missing letters and trail discription

mtbr member
    Wouldn't mind a comparison between the butcher 2.3 and the Purgatory 2.3. Tires share a lot in common.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Wouldn't mind a comparison between the butcher 2.3 and the Purgatory 2.3. Tires share a lot in common.
    I would like to hear this as well. Im thinking purg on the back and new butcher on front for fall winter and spring when the rear captain just does not have enough gription.

Prime
    Butcher sidewalls feel a bit thicker, knobs are softer and casing feels a bit more pliable. Grips way better than a Purg, where the Purg starts feeling a little loose in a lean the Butcher bites right in. Personally, I think a Butcher would be a bit much on the rear, but the softer knobs could make it worth while if you do a lot of techy climbing. I've been a Butcher front guy for a few years on my 26, I'm going to be a Butcher 29 front guy as long as they offer it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone have one or two for sale? IF so, PM me..

Thanks!

usually cranky
    its on sale on spec website, in stock and everything...

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    My new favorite tire combo is Butcher front and Ground Control 2.3 on the rear. There's TONS of leaves on my trails and it's hardly noticeable The Butcher is fantastic as a front(haven't tried it on rear) and I've had the Ground Control 2.3 on the rear for about a month and am sold on it as well. They're both tougher than I would have guessed based on their weight and they're both a surprisingly grippy compound. They also weigh in close to what Spec said they would, which is a breath of fresh air in this current tire manufacturer con fest era we're stuck in. The only other tire I've tried that gripped anywhere as well was the Hans Dampf but I refuse to pay $70+ for a 900gr throw away tire. I wore one out to the point that knobs were tearing off in under 300 miles!

Specialized finally sold me on one of their products! I'm impressed

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    Specialized finally sold me on one of their products! I'm impressed
    I've been riding and liking Specialized tires in AZ chunky for 4 years. My opinion, the Butcher is a little much for the rear. If you haven't tried a Purgatory 2.3 for a rear, give it a whirl, it's a bit more AMy than a Ground Control. I also like the GC. My fav combo, Butcher/Purgatory, but I'm riding in the dry..

mtbr member
    So you Butcher guys, how do you think these tires would fair on the rear on wet roots? Also, how big is the Butcher measured for width and volume? My hope is that it would measure out bigger than claimed size, rather than smaller, which happens so often in the 29er tire world. I like my tires beefy.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Mine measures 2.18" at the casing and 2.22" from outside of knob to outside of knob. I'm using the AM Nancy Carbon Rims. I'm tubeless. Not the largest tire out there but it's plenty for me on my Prime with 140mm of travel

MTB B'dos
    Hey DF, care to measure the seat and chain stays on your Prime, curious how wide the production ones are?

Mine measures 2.18" at the casing and 2.22" from outside of knob to outside of knob. I'm using the AM Nancy Carbon Rims. I'm tubeless. Not the largest tire out there but it's plenty for me on my Prime with 140mm of travel
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Hey DF, care to measure the seat and chain stays on your Prime, curious how wide the production ones are?
    Both about 81.5mm.

I'm with stupid
    How does the 29er version compare to the 26er version? Do the side lugs squirm around on hardpack like the SX does or are they better supported?

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    How does the 29er version compare to the 26er version? Do the side lugs squirm around on hardpack like the SX does or are they better supported?
    Never had a squirm issue, ride my 26" SX at 33 psi, 29" Control at 28 psi.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Did they change the sx up? I bough it when it first came out and the side knobs feel like they have zero support when its hardpack or sandstone try riding.... As long as the wagon wheels dont then I shall add them to my wishlist when I get money again.

mtbr member
    So bigger or smaller than a 2.4 Ardent 29er?

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    What Optimus said

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    So bigger or smaller than a 2.4 Ardent 29er?
    I haven't measured an Ardent 2.4 but just eye balling, the Ardent is bigger. I can tell you though, the Butcher is a much better front for cornering and it's a tad bit lighter Stickier too. Rolls surprisingly well for how knobby it is

The fact that the design is a popular downhill tire should be a credit to it's cornering prowess. Does Gee rock an Ardent??? No. Well, he doesn't rock a Butcher either, but you get my point...

On my Prime with 140mm front and rear, volume isn't all that important to me anymore. I'm sure singlespeeders and hardtailers won't be satisfied but it's plenty large enough for me.

MTB B'dos
    Ah, OK cool, was wondering how they'd feared during the tweaks into production, not bad at all, but still not PP wide
    Both about 81.5mm.
    Some tyres are like that, horribly so, the old Mtn.King was the worst I've ever experienced. Can't say looking the design that it looks like the knobs are so small to be like that, but riding a big knob tyre on serious hardpack can cause that. Heck riding nearly any of my tyres I run 2 different sets of pressures depending on what trail type I'll be riding; Slow, rocky, tech = lower PSI/ High speed, fast corners=Higher PSI.
    Did they change the sx up? I bough it when it first came out and the side knobs feel like they have zero support when its hardpack or sandstone try riding.... As long as the wagon wheels dont then I shall add them to my wishlist when I get money again.
    Um, 130mm REAR/140mm FRONT
    On my Prime with 140mm front and rear, volume isn't all that important to me anymore. I'm sure singlespeeders and hardtailers won't be satisfied but it's plenty large enough for me.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I haven't measured an Ardent 2.4 but just eye balling, the Ardent is bigger. I can tell you though, the Butcher is a much better front for cornering and it's a tad bit lighter Stickier too. Rolls surprisingly well for how knobby it is

The fact that the design is a popular downhill tire should be a credit to it's cornering prowess. Does Gee rock an Ardent??? No. Well, he doesn't rock a Butcher either, but you get my point...

Thanks for that, good to know it's skinnier, then I won't have trouble fitting the 2.3 in the back of my Honzo.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I just put a Butcher Control casing 2.3 on a Flow rim this morning. It's brand-new and still with a tube while the bead forms (something I always do with new tires). I didn't measure, but it appears to be RADICALLY smaller than the 2.4 Ardent/Flow combo I run on my Yelli. That said, the 2.4 Ardent is an enormous tire.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Butcher / Schwalbe comparisons...

Anyone out there done any comparisons with the Hans Dampf or Nobby Nic? I used to be a devout Purgatory and Captain user, but when I tried the Schwalbe tires, I was sold on their grip. However, like everyone else, I do not like how they wear out so quickly. My other gripe with the Specialized tires were the thin sidewalls... I like to run low pressures and it seems like the Specialized sidewalls would just wrinkle up on you when you catch some air and sometimes burp. Never had this problem with the Schwalbe tires and seems they are a little stickier also, which is great here in the Southeast, where we have lots of wet roots and rocks. My first experience with Schwalbe tires was the Hans Dampf on my 26" Stumpy and fell in love with the rollability and grip. However, when I went exclusively 29", the Hans seems to roll much slower and is a heavy beast. But like you guys, I do not like spending the $$$ on Schwalbes and them start deteriorating so fast! That is the thing I did like about the Purgatorys... they did roll very well for such and large knob tire, just wish they had thicker sidewalls and a grippier rubber compound. What have you guys experienced?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast