mtbr member

SPD's not tight enough??

Hi everyone,

I have a set of shimano M520 pedals that I like a lot. But with my riding skills improving over the years, I have learned to ride more technical sections on my hardtail. When I land off a big drop-off or after a small jump, sometimes one of my cleats will come unclipped from the pedal. I have tightened the setting on the pedals to the max tightness. That helped a lot initially but every once in a while my foot will still fall out of the pedal at the most inopportune time (during a very difficult trail section). Any suggestions? Do I just need to upgrade to a more supportive pedal system?
    Ride it into the ground.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What cleats are you using? There's 2 cleats that Shimano makes. One is less prone to unclip

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I have several sets of those. If I crank up the tightness I can hardly get out. First, how old are your cleats? Second, there are 2 types of cleats :float and no float. Make sure you have the no float type.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

Warrior's Society
    Shimano makes the Single release cleat(Sh-51 black) and Multi Release cleats(SH-56 silver).

Single release: side to side.....

Multi release: side to side and pull up.

Over time the springs on the pedals will wear out and lose tension.

Worn out cleats will also do the same.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member

SPD's not tight enough??

I checked and I have the SH-51 cleats. I think my cleats are pretty worn so I may try to replace just the cleats first before replacing the pedals.
    Ride it into the ground.

mtbr member

SPD's not tight enough??

I have the SH-51 cleats. I may replace the cleats because they look pretty worn before replacing the pedals.
    Ride it into the ground.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The 51s shouldn't be coming unclipped by themselves. I bet you are on the right track and they are just worn out.

mtbr member
    Pro tip: If you decide it's time to replace your pedals too, look at the Xpedo pedals. They're SPD compatible, offer a bit more float, and are lighter. They are more expensive than 520's, but much less expensive than XT's.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by wacobkr View Post
    I checked and I have the SH-51 cleats. I think my cleats are pretty worn so I may try to replace just the cleats first before replacing the pedals.
    Yeah, cleat wear. I get about two years out of a set of cleats before they get tap-dancy and sloppy. I have 10 year old Spds on one bike and they are still going strong. I've never worn out a set of Shimano pedals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Yeah, cleat wear. I get about two years out of a set of cleats before they get tap-dancy and sloppy. I have 10 year old Spds on one bike and they are still going strong. I've never worn out a set of Shimano pedals.
    This has been my experience as well.

ballbuster
    Heh... I have a bud who wanted to try out my bike. He clipped in with his presumably new SPDs and had a really hard time getting out. 'Man, you keep your pedals tight!' he tells me. Really? They don't seem very tight at all to me. Took me a while to figure that one out. I guess I've been turning up the tension a notch every few months and didn't really think about it.

I have 5 bikes and one set of shoes I regularly use. I keep a backup pair of bike shoes, helmet and clothes at work, in case I get a spare moment for a lunchtime ride.... which hasn't happened in 3 years or so.

Reminds me, it's about time I replaced my cleats.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I had similar situation. Had a pair of shoes for several years and bought a pair of winter shoes and put new cleats on them. I damn near fell over the first ride because I couldn't get unclipped.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    I had similar situation. Had a pair of shoes for several years and bought a pair of winter shoes and put new cleats on them. I damn near fell over the first ride because I couldn't get unclipped.
    Heh.. I bought a pair of 'winter' shoes at ReCyclery for $10. They're basically PI regular shoes, but two sizes too big so I can wear mega thick winter socks and/or plastic bags in them. Oddly, I never actually rode with them yet. It just hasn't been that cold.