• 03-15-2013
    barrelquest
    Spare tire just to get you home?
    I finally got these schwalbe tires on my 29er rims and they were so tight I had to use two wood clamps to assist me, along with two tire levers, one of which is now bent from all the stress. I seriously thought the things were not going on, but in the end they did.

So if I shred one of these tires way out in the middle of nowhere, I realize I am going to need a spare tire that can at least get me off the trail and home. The tire should first and foremost be easy to mount and secondly be very light as in, I don't even care about knobby tread, just something light weight and foldable. THis will be only for emergencies. Something light I can pack easily.

Any suggestions?
  • 03-15-2013
    barrelquest
    So road bike tires actually fit and work ?
  • 03-15-2013
    dirtdan
    I don't think 25c road tires will work well on a wide 29r rim, but a 35c cyclocross tire or something of that nature should work on the rim.
  • 03-15-2013
    barrelquest
    Thaks . So with a 24.4 mm wide Stans crest rim I need to decide the Lightest tire, maybe even add some tread. like a cyclocross tread. Really needs to be lightweight though, light in the pack.
  • 03-16-2013
    crclawn
    Give it a couple of months of riding on the tires. It will losen a bit and won't be so hard to mount. Def take two tire levers with you when you ride.
  • 03-16-2013
    barrelquest
    OKay, and well I just watched this video of this older guy mounting a tire and and I think that was the best instruction EVAR. I knew to get the bead down in the well, but didn't realize how to start opposite and begin working it around, and keep doing that a few times. Now I am eager to try...well eager may not be the correct word :)

I also saw this dude using a tire strap, so I can ditch the wood clamps..lol. Where can you buy those handy little straps.?.. Not sure of the official name, looked like an old toe strap.
  • 03-16-2013
    DerBergschreck
    Quote:

Originally Posted by barrelquest View Post
    I finally got these schwalbe tires...
    ... need a spare tire that can at least get me off the trail and home.

Try some Maxxis tires - or are you married with Schwalbe? ;)
  • 03-16-2013
    barrelquest
    well somebody was on here batchin :madman: about how their maxxis tires where nearly impossible to get on.
  • 03-16-2013
    b-kul
    ime maxxis and spec tires are super easy to get on.