Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

So long Avids. What now ? ( has to be light)

I'm planning to sell my incoming F29's Avid Elixir 7 and place something lighter. I know XTRs are not the lightest out there but if their weight can match those of the Elixir 7s I may give it a go as I'm eager to finally test the mighty XTRs everyone is so happy about.
    Formula ? No way thanks, I just have had plenty of issues with those. Considering Hope or Magura but open to more suggestions
    '14 Epic Marathon 29 for sale
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '12 Roubaix Expert pimped

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I did a ton of reading and reviews of users not bike mag BS and I am going with hopes. They have race versions if your worried about weight but seriously a few grams wont make or break you. Mags are nice too but I have heard nothing good about formual's cost a ton and suck so I am staying away from those myself. Like anything else in this world it's going to boil down to personel pref.

mtbr member
    Shimano or Hope are both solid.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    May 2011
    XTR or Magura MT8

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    What's wrong with formulas?

I had early R1's (2010 model) which I had problems with leaking levers when clamped and my carbon handlebar polish peeled off because of that I've heard on newer models this leaking issue is solved. So I'm swinging between MT8 and R1 Racing for my next season ww project. I can get both at same price over here.
    Superior TEAM 29
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Parking Lot Poser
    I've been Worry free with XT

Go for the XTR
    feelin good is good enough

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    + 1 on the XT, or XTR's... Love em!

mtbr member
    Current model XT and XTR stuff is rock solid and complaints are few and far between.

I've run a couple sets of Formula RX's and really liked them for a combination of price/weight/performance.

Currently I'm using Magura MTS, came off a 2013 Epic, its an MT4 handle with MT6 caliper, nice for the price and light, so far I'm digging the current Magura MT stuff.

My brother has some new Avid XX stuff and really likes them, and the 7's you get are nice brakes as well with the new taperbore stuff, its just kind of hit or miss. You might get a set and love them or they might be a dumpster fire, thats the problem with the Avid brakes.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

just some guy
    XO Trail is pretty sweet.

Dropshot Champ!
    +1 on x0 trail, they ARE pretty sweet.

you really can't go wrong with the new xt/xtr though. They feel great. Definitely a different feel than the avids. I like them both in different ways.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    XT or XTR and forget about it.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by murphyd View Post
    XT or XTR and forget about it.
    +1. Have new XT on both bikes and love them. Ice Tech rotors on the FS, regular Shimano rotors on the HT. both work very well, slightly better modulation with the Ice Tech.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    +1000 for XT/XTR. Just buy them and be done with it.

Keep on Rockin...
    XTs are nice. I think a somewhat heavier than the mid range Avids, and the Shimi oil might not play well with cold weather riding.

I'm not sure why Avids are getting such a frequent bad rap. OK, out of the box they often need a good bleed, but after than I've found them to be great.

I have both XTs and Avids that are about 2 years old and both are great when properly bled.

Power-wise, after a good bleed I can say one is better than the other. One finger stopping with both.

My next brakes will likely be Avid as I hear they've made some further improvements. Most riders prefer the XTs but I like the Avids just a bit more. I also like Avid's CPS better in the event you do have mounting tabs that are not perfect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm liking my Elixer CR's just fine, but once these go, my money is going towards XTR's.

mtbr member
    +1 on the XT's, I just got some and went with the R-86 Ice Tech rotors 180/160. They are flawless, I love the cooling fins and I was out in 32deg weather with no issue. I am not sure what you consider as cold riding but it is cold here in Rio Rancho NM (>5K feet). XTR's should save you on weight if you are counting grams. These brakes stay clean and do not squeal at all. Moreover, you can get the XT's at about $107 a piece and both rotors shipped for under $100. Not a bad deal.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

There's always next year.
    Never loved my Avids, but I love my XTs a bunch. Like my Hopes as well. Can't go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hooooooooppppppeeeeeeee.

All the power of Avid without the noise. Shimano "modulation" feels like squishy fail to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    $107/each for XT's where?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Spend way too much time dealing with Avid brakes until I saw the light and went XTR

Have been issue free with dialed brakes / lever feel for 3000km + two race series since.

Never, ever, going back to Avid for brakes again unless they totally re-vamp their product.

mtbr member
    Switched from Avid to Hope, and they have been spectacularly quiet. Great feel, modulation, and adjustability.

mtbr member
    I like Magura but have only heard great things about the newer XT/ XTR's.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Coming from Formula R1 i hate the new Shimanos, tons of power with zero modulation. I will try Magura MT8 next, just for the weight weenie aspect.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    The shimanos have been 100% set and forget since i got them. So easy to bleed too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast