MTB B'dos

Sliced/Cut Purgatory - thoughts? (X-post)

SO I've run and tested Maxxis tyres now for over 2 years and never had a sidewall cut/sliced, not a Specialized fan, but thought I'd give the new Purgatory in Control casing a shot - expensive shot Do they have a replacement program for such incidents? Couldn't believe that it sliced the casing like it did, but going all the way up through the tread was the real surprise. Luckily I had a quite big plastic tyre boot and finished the ride, thinking if no option for discounted replacement etc I'll just patch and stitch it and use it as a rear only.

Sliced/Cut Purgatory - thoughts? (X-post)-dsc_4665.jpg
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

rr
    I don't do PC
    I've never had luck patching sidewalls on that big of a tear, I think what you've done in the pic and just run a tube till the tread is gone is a good option. I never tried the Purgatory cause I heard of sidewall issues, now I have a pair of the proto DHF's in 2.5 and 2.3, as well as a DHR 2 in the back, so I'm set for now at least. The EXO sidewalls are the sh!t.

MTB B'dos
    Yeah, I passed on the DHF protos, just thought they were a bit much for my terrain and others with more suitable terrain should test them, also didn't like the weight. Never did see anything on the DHR2s proto wise, so either they did a very limited run and few got or they just went ahead with them going from the 26" testing or they took even longer to get to market than the HR2s from initial testing and were tested before I started with Maxxis. How is the DHR2? Looks like for the weight it's be a nice tread that could be paired with a HR2 - HR2-R/DHR2-F.

Think I'll at least try to glue and stitch the cut for a bit better support and then run a boot. Still going to contact SpecialED about their 90 day return policy. A few guys down here use their tyres, but I'm not a fan or the company so never have, but decided to give it a go, but I'm about the only one who likes going rock crawlin on the sea cliffs of sharp coralstone, although never had an issue with any Maxxis tyres there
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thats funny, I have run Maxxis for awhile and side cut all except my Ardent 2.4. In order , cut my Crossmark after 2 months, 2 Icons lasted 3 months, Ardent 2.25 3-4 months, my wifes Icon lasted 10 months but she is a carefull rider on less tech. trails. I like Maxxis tires but their longevity for me isn't good. Last year switched to Specialized tires and have had excellent results. Captains, Fast Tracks, Ground Control, and now Purgatory. I know several local riders who ride trails rockier and more diff. than me are using Specialized, but on any day or any tire you can slice it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    SO I've run and tested Maxxis tyres now for over 2 years and never had a sidewall cut/sliced, not a Specialized fan, but thought I'd give the new Purgatory in Control casing a shot - expensive shot Do they have a replacement program for such incidents? Couldn't believe that it sliced the casing like it did, but going all the way up through the tread was the real surprise. Luckily I had a quite big plastic tyre boot and finished the ride, thinking if no option for discounted replacement etc I'll just patch and stitch it and use it as a rear only.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4665.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	794510
    I sliced a Specialized Ground Control 29x2.1 tire pretty quickly - I chalked it up to me being stupid since I have a history of slicing tires. I wish I had your luck though - I've sliced through Maxxis Ignitors and Ikons as well. I'm trying a 2.25 Ardent EXO on the rear wheel now and my fingers are crossed that it holds up for a few months.

I'm curious - you said you would stitch it and use it as a rear only tire. Most of my slices happen on the rear tire - did the Purgatory slice like that up front?

MTB B'dos
    Nope, was on the rear, had a HR2 upfront. Just said would keep it on the rear as a rear going BOOM isn't so catastrophic/dangerous as happening on the front, would never trust it there. Was testing it on the front originally, wasn't bad, but didn't give me the confidence the HR2 does, so thought for a fairly aggressive combo it would pair up well and I'd get my $$ worth out of it at least What Ignitors and Ikons did you manage to slice, normal or the EXO casing? Original casing isn't very thick, but can be setup tubeless and work, but wouldn't expect it to hold up to our rocks, EXO is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert View Post
    I sliced a Specialized Ground Control 29x2.1 tire pretty quickly - I chalked it up to me being stupid since I have a history of slicing tires. I wish I had your luck though - I've sliced through Maxxis Ignitors and Ikons as well. I'm trying a 2.25 Ardent EXO on the rear wheel now and my fingers are crossed that it holds up for a few months.

I'm curious - you said you would stitch it and use it as a rear only tire. Most of my slices happen on the rear tire - did the Purgatory slice like that up front?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

rr
    I don't do PC
    Lynx- the DHR2 is an excellent rear tire, as far as traction for braking and cornering it's the best I've tried.

fruitafrank- did those Maxxis tires have EXO casing? I have ripped the sidewalls on other tires in the past before I started using Maxxis w/exo, have not ripped a single tire.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Just said would keep it on the rear as a rear going BOOM isn't so catastrophic/dangerous as happening on the front, would never trust it there.
    OK - that makes sense. I just haven't had great luck putting a tire back on the rear wheel once it has sliced once. Guess it just depends on the condition of the sidewall already....

What Ignitors and Ikons did you manage to slice, normal or the EXO casing? Original casing isn't very thick, but can be setup tubeless and work, but wouldn't expect it to hold up to our rocks, EXO is another story.
    I've only used the EXO version of the Ikon - I went through two of them last season on the rear wheel. Both prematurely ended due to sidewall gashes. In all honesty, they did better than I would have expected given that they are a light-weight racing-oriented tire. The Ignitors have actually been surprisingly durable for me. Even the non-EXO version held up longer than many beefier tires. It's not really my favorite tire, but I'd definitely consider using it again if they would come out in a 2.25 version.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitafrank View Post
    Thats funny, I have run Maxxis for awhile and side cut all except my Ardent 2.4. In order , cut my Crossmark after 2 months, 2 Icons lasted 3 months, Ardent 2.25 3-4 months, my wifes Icon lasted 10 months but she is a carefull rider on less tech. trails. I like Maxxis tires but their longevity for me isn't good. Last year switched to Specialized tires and have had excellent results. Captains, Fast Tracks, Ground Control, and now Purgatory. I know several local riders who ride trails rockier and more diff. than me are using Specialized, but on any day or any tire you can slice it.
    I don't think there is any tire that is going to hold up consistently to real rocky riding - at least not one that I would want to pedal mile after mile.... I'm hoping that the EXO Ardents hold up well, but I'm seriously considering trying a Spec. Captain Armadillo version. 850g for a 2.2 -seems like that should add up to a little extra durability... And I'm assuming that it will still be the same fast rolling tire as the Control version.

MTB B'dos
    If you want seriously thick casing that should hold up to about anything the Maxxis LUST is the one. I have a Crossmark LUST and it seats tubeless easily and does not require sealant to hold air, heck I didn't even run sealant in case of really big thorns which we have and had no trouble with anything puncturing the casing and def no rocks issues. As I said, have been running the HR2 proto for well over 1.5 years now with no problems what so ever on our rocks, bit scuffed up, but not even a glimmer of a slash.

I don't think there is any tire that is going to hold up consistently to real rocky riding - at least not one that I would want to pedal mile after mile.... I'm hoping that the EXO Ardents hold up well, but I'm seriously considering trying a Spec. Captain Armadillo version. 850g for a 2.2 -seems like that should add up to a little extra durability... And I'm assuming that it will still be the same fast rolling tire as the Control version.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If you want seriously thick casing that should hold up to about anything the Maxxis LUST is the one. I have a Crossmark LUST and it seats tubeless easily and does not require sealant to hold air, heck I didn't even run sealant in case of really big thorns which we have and had no trouble with anything puncturing the casing and def no rocks issues. As I said, have been running the HR2 proto for well over 1.5 years now with no problems what so ever on our rocks, bit scuffed up, but not even a glimmer of a slash.
    Can you run the LUST tires on NoTubes rims? My understanding is that the LUST tires are Maxxis's UST-compliant ones, and I haven't heard of people having much luck with UST-tires on NoTubes rims. Definitely interested in hearing a success story here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    In answer to Lynx, Turner ,et.al. My first Maxxis [ crossmark ] was non EXO- not out yet. All my others were EXO. I really wanted to like the IKON for a rear tire but no luck. I have several riding friends who have worn out the tead on their Captains [ Control version ] with no sidewall slices. I have a Spec. FastTrack 29/2.2 that is worn out but no sidewall slice, same for a 2.2 Captain, so far no sidewall issue on my Ground Controls [Control version ]. When my wifes 8 month old IKON sliced on a green/Blue trail in Moab this week I was convinced. She is a very delicate rider so not the same as my smash and go over it style . I can't fully explain all this but I am not the only Grand Junction rider to switch to Specialized tires. I have no special interest in Specialized BTW.

MTB B'dos
    Well, I've run the LUST Crossmark on my STANS Flows with no issue what so ever. I actually like running it as it's so easy to setup, if I feel like just popping it on and am maybe testing other tubed tyres I can and don't have to add sealant so don't have to clean it up when I take it off, makes life very easy.
    Can you run the LUST tires on NoTubes rims? My understanding is that the LUST tires are Maxxis's UST-compliant ones, and I haven't heard of people having much luck with UST-tires on NoTubes rims. Definitely interested in hearing a success story here.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

rr
    I don't do PC
    In answer to Lynx, Turner ,et.al. My first Maxxis [ crossmark ] was non EXO- not out yet. All my others were EXO. I really wanted to like the IKON for a rear tire but no luck. I have several riding friends who have worn out the tead on their Captains [ Control version ] with no sidewall slices. I have a Spec. FastTrack 29/2.2 that is worn out but no sidewall slice, same for a 2.2 Captain, so far no sidewall issue on my Ground Controls [Control version ]. When my wifes 8 month old IKON sliced on a green/Blue trail in Moab this week I was convinced. She is a very delicate rider so not the same as my smash and go over it style . I can't fully explain all this but I am not the only Grand Junction rider to switch to Specialized tires. I have no special interest in Specialized BTW.
    Interesting, I have not tried those Maxxis models, but have run Ardent 29er tires all over Fruita/Moab without issue, with the Exo casing. Guess maybe the Crossmark and Ikon tires are not as burly even in exo casing given their lighter XC style.

I was actually considering the Ikon in the new 2.35 size w/Exo casing for a lighter HT build, hopefully they hold up. If not I will look at some Schwalbe or the Spechy tires you mentioned.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Well, I've run the LUST Crossmark on my STANS Flows with no issue what so ever. I actually like running it as it's so easy to setup, if I feel like just popping it on and am maybe testing other tubed tyres I can and don't have to add sealant so don't have to clean it up when I take it off, makes life very easy.
    Nice - now I'm curious. I'd like a little more volume than the Crossmark, but the 2.25 Ardent looks tempting. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Specialized has a 90 day no questions ask return policy. I returned a sliced Sworks tire.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

MTB B'dos
    Thanks for that. Had seen they had a 90 day return policy, but says for like tyre or some such. Did you get a cash refund or did you have to get another tyre or other SpecialED merchandise?
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Specialized has a 90 day no questions ask return policy. I returned a sliced Sworks tire.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for that. Had seen they had a 90 day return policy, but says for like tyre or some such. Did you get a cash refund or did you have to get another tyre or other SpecialED merchandise?
    Well I like their tires. so I just traded in for a non Sworks version and got the difference in cash.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    RRoedr, FWIW, my sliced Maxxis tires were all in the rear. I think the front Maxxis should be fine. I thought the Ikon 2.2 would hold up but not even on my wifes easy riding style. I have had very good luck with my Specialized tires and they tubless with a floor pump, and at 50$ to 55$ per tire not bad at all.

Just Ride

Sliced/Cut Purgatory - thoughts? (X-post)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Yep, I just read this and took my Control S works down, and they handed me a new one. Thanks for the tip! I had a bit of a side wall tear on mine also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    RRoedr, FWIW, my sliced Maxxis tires were all in the rear. I think the front Maxxis should be fine. I thought the Ikon 2.2 would hold up but not even on my wifes easy riding style. I have had very good luck with my Specialized tires and they tubless with a floor pump, and at 50$ to 55$ per tire not bad at all.
    Whereas my Ground Control 29x2.1 lasted 4-5 rides. Sometimes I think it's just luck. Or bad luck, as the case may be....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Turner- I tried the GC 2.1 and didn't like it [ 1 day ] I went to the GC 2.3 and a big diff. I believe any tire can slice on any given day. The diff. is my experiance is based on about 12 plus riders in GJ riding Specialized tires successfuly . I still run a Maxxis Ardent on the front- a great tire, so I am not against Maxxis tires just that some models don't work here for a number of riders. BTW I have run Maxxis High Rollers for years- great tire.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kingshredd View Post
    Yep, I just read this and took my Control S works down, and they handed me a new one. Thanks for the tip! I had a bit of a side wall tear on mine also.
    I did it a few times too and got new tires. Then the last time I tried the guy at the shop said the tread was too worn. He said the tire has to look fairly new for the shop to get credit from the big S.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    BTW I have run Maxxis High Rollers for years- great tire.
    See - this is where I get into trouble. Years ago I used a Maxxis High Roller super tacky on a bike. It was far and away the slowest rolling tire I've ever used. The grip was amazing, but the suffering to make it up anything was too much for me. I'm definitely not into racing tires per se, but I really prefer something that rolls better. But this starts getting me into lighter weight tires which then have durability issues. I think in the future I might give Specialized a try again. More and more of their tires seems to be coming out with the Armadillo sidewall, which I am optimistic would work well for me.