banned
    Apr 2009

Skewer Question.

I am hearing (and reading) about certain skewers that will make a standard 9mm quick release feel more like a 'thru-axle'.

I read XT skweres (and Salsa maybe?)----but I see different prices for XT skewers?? So do you have to get certain one's ??--OR do all the XT skewers do this?

--ALSO what are the cheapest skewres to buy (if anyone knows??)

mtbr member
    No standard skewer will make an existing hub feel like a thru-axle. Some hubs use larger end caps (such as Specialized with their 28mm end caps) and some hubs have the ability to run a 9mm thru-bolt skewer which will stiffen things up a bit.

If you're looking for clamping power, it's hard to beat the XT at any price.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Internal cam skewers are the best for clamping power and resultant stiffness. Like mentioned above...cannot go wrong with XT or XTR at any price, and I've tried many on the rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    No standard skewer will make an existing hub feel like a thru-axle. Some hubs use larger end caps (such as Specialized with their 28mm end caps)
    I have very good luck with a wheelset having those 28mm end caps and a DT Swiss ratcheting skewer. It's the 9mm skewer, and won't fit any of my other hubs, so I can't separate the effect of the ratcheting skewer from that of the oversize end caps. I do notice the difference from the two together though--it's huge.

ballbuster
    Like others have said, some skewers are better than others, but none will be as stiff as a 9mm thru axle, or a real 15mm or 20 mm thru axle.

Shimano are best. You can get xt skewers on fleabay for cheap if you're patient. I got my front for $10 shipped in new shape. Not much difference between all Shimano skewers except for finish and weight. I had a Deore on my singlespeed for years, and it was bullet proof.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 09-12-2012 at 08:29 PM.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Thanks, I will get some XT skewers...