Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Single Speed XC Crankset/BB Recommendations?

you guys have made some excellent recommendations so far, so i am seeking one more from you single speed XC (and endurance XC) riders. My flight monocog BB is starting to wear out already so i figured i would take the opportunity to upgrade the entire crankset and BB. The bike will always be SS so i need a build-out that supports the rigors of SS climbing and constant pedal mashing. please provide both the "if money were no object" and "i have $500 to spend" options.

TIA!!!
    Last edited by mayonayze; 08-13-2012 at 06:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    please keep in mind that the flight BB is a non-standard spindle and that i am not looking for anything that alters the chain line even remotely.

OEM BB specs: FSA ISIS 68mm x 108mm
    OEM Crank specs: FSA Maximus 32T W Guard

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Shimano SLX, XT or XTR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Shimano SLX, XT or XTR.
    got two xt cranks with no complaints. However I am using Chris king bottom brackets on them (personal upgrade choice I never had a problem with the original BB but then again I never used them for an extended amount of time before the upgrades)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Chances are pretty good that your chainline will be tweaked slightly no matter what you go with. I'm not sure what you're running, but you can adjust the chainline on your typical cassette style hub by spacing the cog one way or another. You can space the chanring a little bit and sometimes you can move your EBB left or right. All depends upon your setup.

I would stick with SLX cranks. They're basically the same arms as XT's but they're significantly cheaper. You can pick up a SS ring with the money you save.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    +1 for slx close to the same weight as xt cheaper and they look better too. Buy a triple you can sell the chain rings and get a nice single ring.

transmitter~receiver
    Hard to go wrong with a SRAM + MRP spiderless set-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Single Speed XC Crankset/BB Recommendations?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344994030.135533.jpg

modified XTR 960s. the bad thing is the dorky 102 BCD. as long as you can source chainrings you'll be alright.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    You might want to try the SS forum. It's very active with some really experienced riders.

That said, I prefer old school Race Face Turbine LP's in square taper. They're hard to find in good condition but they rock. They're aesthetically beautiful, functional and relatively light.

They made them in other interfaces but the square taper have never failed me over thousands of miles.

mtbr member
    I love Race Face Turbine line up. Being 220 lb on rigid, I want the assurance of 7000's aluminum in my components without too much weight penalty.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    don't like my middleburns, I like my SLX.

nothing to see here
    Don't like my SLX, so went to Middleburns. Haven't worn out a BB since the switch. No external BB lasted more than a few months with me.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by minh View Post
    modified XTR 960s. the bad thing is the dorky 102 BCD. as long as you can source chainrings you'll be alright.
    I love the M960's too, but it's time to let them go. It's becoming harder and more costly to source chainrings for these things as time passes. They're sexy, but they're obsolete. The current SLX and XT offerings have a more standard bcd and have the same overall design as the M960's, they're just not quite as light or as good looking in my opinion.

If you're looking to build up a workhorse SS, you don't want any proprietary isht like SRAM spiderless or obsolete 102 bolt patterns. Get something with a standard 4x104 and choose any one of the many SS rings that are available. That's my two cents.

If you happen to have an old 960 crankset laying around though, by all means, hack it up and order a ring from somewhere.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    [IMG]Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App[/IMG] This is my XT bottom bracket. It lasted 3 years and was installed in 4 different bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rocket View Post
    This is my XT bottom bracket. It lasted 3 years and was installed in 4 different bikes.
    How in the he11...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Red Rocket - Were they over-tightened?? How did they shear off like that? I've never seen something like that before.

Either way, 3 years is pretty good. I usually get a new one or rebuild every 2 years or so.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I don't think it was over tightened. I was going down a rooty hill and heard a pop then it started creaking. I didn't think much of it at the time and thought the pop was a stick or rock hitting the bike and the creaking was just loose chain ring bolts but when I got home that is what I discovered.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Don't like my SLX, so went to Middleburns. Haven't worn out a BB since the switch. No external BB lasted more than a few months with me.
    I haven't tried the xtype middleburns. Mainly as the only thing I like about them is the heel clearance on the ST and ISIS. Both of those however have had weak and stretchy interfaces. ST is OK just because there is more room to stretch. I still have to tighten after every ride...finally it is stopping after nearly a year of use. The ISIS are just loose beyond using now.

mtbr member
    Xtr m980
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Single Speed XC Crankset/BB Recommendations?-single.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    I love the M960's too, but it's time to let them go. It's becoming harder and more costly to source chainrings for these things as time passes. They're sexy, but they're obsolete. The current SLX and XT offerings have a more standard bcd and have the same overall design as the M960's, they're just not quite as light or as good looking in my opinion.

If you're looking to build up a workhorse SS, you don't want any proprietary isht like SRAM spiderless or obsolete 102 bolt patterns. Get something with a standard 4x104 and choose any one of the many SS rings that are available. That's my two cents.

If you happen to have an old 960 crankset laying around though, by all means, hack it up and order a ring from somewhere.
    after reading your post I'm going to agree and will have to un-recommend the M960... but as long as you are aware of the caveat (the irritating 102 BCD that's hard to get) it can be a great crank- light, looks nice (if you hack it up right), cheap and strong.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    I haven't tried the xtype middleburns. Mainly as the only thing I like about them is the heel clearance on the ST and ISIS. Both of those however have had weak and stretchy interfaces. ST is OK just because there is more room to stretch. I still have to tighten after every ride...finally it is stopping after nearly a year of use. The ISIS are just loose beyond using now.
    mine are square taper, isis sux. I tighten every two or three rides, just to be sure. I don't understand how heel clearance is an issue though. Maybe if the spindle was too long.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    mine are square taper, isis sux. I tighten every two or three rides, just to be sure. I don't understand how heel clearance is an issue though. Maybe if the spindle was too long.
    I have size 47s and heel clearance can be an issue depending upon the stays and my crank/pedal setup.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrawd View Post
    Xtr m980
    I sure do like the look of those. Nice clean setup. But man, they're prohibitively expensive and you don't save much weight on a single ring setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minh View Post
    after reading your post I'm going to agree and will have to un-recommend the M960... but as long as you are aware of the caveat (the irritating 102 BCD that's hard to get) it can be a great crank- light, looks nice (if you hack it up right), cheap and strong.
    i would still recommend the M960s. for the price you can get them for and the looks and weight they are tough to beat. the rings are easy to find... the lead-time in getting them is the issue.

just order a few at a time (and before you need them if you can) or get a Ti ring. i will be running my M960s as long as i have a frame that will take them and will be buying another set when I see a good price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by honkonbobo View Post
    i would still recommend the M960s. for the price you can get them for and the looks and weight they are tough to beat. the rings are easy to find... the lead-time in getting them is the issue.

just order a few at a time (and before you need them if you can) or get a Ti ring. i will be running my M960s as long as i have a frame that will take them and will be buying another set when I see a good price.
    I disagree... Blackspire is the only mainstream company I know of that actually manufactures a 4x102 ring. Shimano doesn't even support that bolt pattern anymore. 4x102 rings are becoming harder and harder to get these days because there simply isnt a demand for them. They blackspires are also $50-60 each for a simple aluminum ring and they're getting harder and harder to find.

Your other options are custom rings from small time one man shop type of places. Tomicog (Steel), HBC (aluminum and Ti) and I think there's a new one coming soon (Crazy8 on here - aluminum, ti and maybe steel?). Those are the only three that I know of. Tomicog does one offs, HBC will likely go out of business sooner rather than later and only time will tell how Crazy8's business progresses. Any of the one off guys are going to be quality rings, but with lead times and a comparatively high price tag.

Conversely, pretty much every ring manufacturer makes a 4x104 singlespeed ring and you can get any one of them for about half the price of a blackspire ring. They're available in just about any tooth count that you would want. You can get them from any bike shop or online vendor and have instant gratification - or more importantly - a working bicycle.

I have two XTR M960 ss cranks, and yes... they're light, strong, and look great - they're my favorite singlespeed crankset, by far. A couple years ago I did recommend them to anyone that was in the market for an SS crank and up until a year ago, I would still have done the same. These days though, I cannot make that same recommendation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast