Thread: Short stem

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Short stem

I have a 29er and due to back issues, I shorten from original 110mm to 70mm. Still hurting my back and noted that if I put my hands behind the bar, closer to me, I feel better. I was wondering if anybody use 40mm stem? I was thinking of getting truvativ 40mm Hofzfeler.
    By the way I have a 720mm bar.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    try stem height too. Spend some $ on a fitting to save on doctor bills later.
    A big sweep bar has done wonders for me- Groovy Luv Handles

A titanium seat post could also help.
    Selma Ti.

B.Ike
    +1 on the alt bars. I might be wrong, but a closer stem puts less weight on your hands and more on your back. Wider bars offsets this btw.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by elwoodturner View Post
    +1 on the alt bars. I might be wrong, but a closer stem puts less weight on your hands and more on your back. Wider bars offsets this btw.
    +1 Wider bars should allow you to use a shorter stem, and offset the change. 70mm seems already on the shorter side. Id first try looking at fitting the rest of the bike before going even shorter on the stem. Try adjusting your saddle position, and also the height of the stem. You can move the saddle forward or backwards, adjust the angle, and raise or lower the stem using appropriate spacers. You can also reverse the stem if needed. Ive learned that even the smallest adjustments can make a huge difference in the ride characteristics.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by adinpapa View Post
    try stem height too. Spend some $ on a fitting to save on doctor bills later.
    This- best $150-200 you will spend on your bike. Several options out there; I am a personal fan of the Retul system, but Specialized has a system, and there are definitely other.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    I ordered a 70mm stem, down from a 110mm. Curious to see how it works out. Apart from the cockpit fit-up anyone notice a difference on climbing, descending or tight turns?
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

B.Ike
    ^^yes. 10mm is noticeable.

mtbr member
    Try doing these back exercises:

Slide show: Back exercises in 15 minutes a day - MayoClinic.com

My back is touchy from a compression fracture almost twenty years ago, and doing these exercises helped tremendously. Over the past 5-6 years my back has been getting worse, to the point that this year I could not even do an easy ride without pain, and other fun things like most car seats also caused pain. I started doing these stretches and exercises and my back pain is nearly gone. I just did a 61 mile dirt road and trail ride on my cyclocross bike without a twinge. It does not cost a single cent to try them, and it could solve your back problems.

mtbr member
    I agree with Polk to start with. Do some exercises and stretches to increase strength and flexibility. I've got two herniated discs and refuse to let the doctors operate on them. Doing a workout daily seems to help quite a lot with my back. Once you've done that, what you really want is to get the bike where it RIDES best for you, not where you're "most comfortable" - the difference is, if it rides well, you won't be doing strange things to get the bike to work right, you'll just be riding it. For me, that usually means a 100mm or so stem, zero offset seat post, some minor adjustment to how far forward or backward the seat is, and a set of riser bars with a good sweep to them. Best luck sorting out the back pain, it's bad to start with, and worse when it keeps you from activities you love.

mtbr member
    I received the 70mm stem and after a ride it feels much better. Much better on tight turns and no difference on climbs or descents that I could tell.
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Same here. Much better with 70mm, but would try out shorter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Might also look into riser bars, only after having a fit done to see if they will fix your issues. Even with me changing out my grips I was still having numbness in my hands. Never had that issue with my old bike so I put on a set of riser bars tonight and will see how that works tomorrow.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    It hasn't been mentioned but a carbon bar helps quite a bit by taking out some of the trail chatter. I've experimented quite a bit over the past couple years and finally have settled on:

70mm stem with +6 degree rise(Syntace Superforce)
    740mm wide carbon bars with 20mm rise and 12 degree backsweep(Syntace)

Everyone's different. The bike fitting may or may not help you. I've heard some people think it's awesome and others feel they wasted their money. I like to tinker and change things around so I've actually enjoyed the process of finding out what works