mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Shock length question

Would it be ok to fit a shock in my bike frame that Is 3mm longer than what it calls for ? The only reason is I want to have a spare shock during the time I get my stock Brain equipt shock sent out to Fox for service. The shock Im thinking of is a low volume Fox RP2. It's a 190 and my stock one is a 187. The travel on the RP2 is 2mm longer also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    ttt

mtbr member
    I can not give you a definitive answer, especially as you don't mention what bike you are talking about. That said, 3mm. is not very much and I'd say it would be fine. I'd suggest putting it in the frame, letting all the air out and cycle the shock to see if there is any frame, linkage or tire interference. it's possible that a longer stroke shock could result in the rear tire hitting the seat tube. If not pressurize the shock and see how it feels to ride. If it has no negative effect I'd be happy to ride it.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    People have put RP2,3s etc. on Epics before; check through the Specialized forum for info. You may have to fiddle with spacing at the mounts but there should be enough room at the seat tube for a 3mm longer shock and the bottomed length looks the same.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yes it's a 2012 Epic... I opened up the swing arm 3mm more and took a look at it...It appears to be such a small difference that I can't notice. Thanks so much for the info. I'm running fine now with the Brain...just looking for a back up plan if I need some service done.