mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Shimano XTR RACE M985 vs XTR Trail m988

What are the differences between Shimano XTR RACE M985 and XTR Trail m988?

g3h6o3
    Trail has tool free reach adjust and ServoWave lever.

Race doesn't but is lighter

P.S. searching the brake forums woudl have turned that out.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Race brakes make you slower faster

Trail brakes make you slower slower...

Nuts
    Had xt and really liked them just the finish is a little cheap looking. Got a good deal on a set of m985's didn't like em as good as the xt's and sold em. Now I have the m988 and they feel like the xt's but with a better finish and a little lighter. Really like the servo wave and lovin these brakes! If I wasn't so anal I would've and should've just stuck with the xt's.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Trail have the cooling fins on the brake pads, race don't.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm currently using a xt m785 brake set, the reason I want to find out the differences between the two xtr brakes, because I'm encountering problems with my rear xt brakes it seems that the lever on the left/rear has no feeling of pressure compared to the right lever, I've bled several times and there is no air in the line. I even sent it to the lbs to have it rebelled but few days after rebleed I loose pressure but the brakes still bite hard

Do you think I need to replace the hydrualic line and of you have experience with jagwire?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Is it worth upgrading from xt m785 to xtr m988?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Re: Shimano XTR RACE M985 vs XTR Trail m988

Hi Rave,
    I dont have xt brakes yet, but I am ordering.
    Thinking about your issue, if the lines have been bled and the pads are good.
    Could it be adjustment in the lever?

Just throwing around ideas...

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Re: Shimano XTR RACE M985 vs XTR Trail m988

Also have you checked for leaks?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

Shimano XTR RACE M985 vs XTR Trail m988

My buddy has the newest XTs with the finned pads and ice tech rotors and I have the newest XTR Trails but am using Hope rotors. The XTs feel like mush compared to the XTRs. The same mechanic installed my XTRs and he re-bled the XTs and spent a good hour troubleshooting them and they simply aren't as good. Most people are of the impression that XT is simply XTR with less exotic materials but in this case it's simply not true. It may be something simple like the lines aren't as nice but by the time you upgrade lines to XTR and re-bleed, you might as well go with XTR in the first place!

OP, I'd go with the Trails if I were you. They're not much heavier, have much more adjustment and will take anything you throw at them. Last I saw, Gee Atherton was running XTR Trail calipers with Saint levers on his GT downhill bike! 'Nuff said

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    My buddy has the newest XTs with the finned pads and ice tech rotors and I have the newest XTR Trails but am using Hope rotors. The XTs feel like mush compared to the XTRs. The same mechanic installed my XTRs and he re-bled the XTs and spent a good hour troubleshooting them and they simply aren't as good. Most people are of the impression that XT is simply XTR with less exotic materials but in this case it's simply not true. It may be something simple like the lines aren't as nice but by the time you upgrade lines to XTR and re-bleed, you might as well go with XTR in the first place!

OP, I'd go with the Trails if I were you. They're not much heavier, have much more adjustment and will take anything you throw at them. Last I saw, Gee Atherton was running XTR Trail calipers with Saint levers on his GT downhill bike! 'Nuff said
    One thing I have noticed with the xt and the xtr is that they have a tendancy for the pistons to retract and not to stay close enough to the rotor when first setting up. I usually have to run them out without the wheel in untill it is out and stays out and then install the wheel. I have been messing with several bikes with these brakes for a couple of years and they are great brakes but like everything they can have little quirks. I still can feel no difference in the xt vs the xtr trail but I don't care for the 2 peice calipers on the xt. Also from a previous question the jagwire hose kit doesn''t play well with the shimano brakes. The interface between the banjo and the caliper is a poor design.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Is it possible to use xt m785 lever with shimano saint m820 cAliper and which hydraulic hose is recommended?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    Trail has tool free reach adjust and ServoWave lever.

Race doesn't but is lighter

P.S. searching the brake forums woudl have turned that out.
    The brakes and cranks are different. Trail brake has a different lever and has much more stopping power than the Race brake. Race is the lightest brake but its mostly because it has a simple lightweight lever. It has less stopping power but is obviously the lightest weight. Race also doesn't come with the radiator brake pads but you can run them.

There are also two different cranks. The M985 IIRC is a 2x only crank. The trail M980 has a triple and a 2x version of the triple. It comes as a double with 38/26 but can be converted to a triple or you can add a bash ring.