mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Shimano XT Disc Brakes Rotor Noise

I realigned the caliper early today, and for some odd reason I hear rubbing on the rotor. When spinning the while stationary, the wheel spins freely with no rubbing. If I ride and stop pedaling and listen to the rear caliper, that's when I hear it. Is there a reason for this?

I removed the brake pads and reset the pistons with a screw driver wrapped in tape so the pistons don't get damaged. Also, how does a piston get damaged? I hear people saying not to use screw drivers to push the piston in. Both pistons move when I squeeze the brakes so it seems fine to me. I don't put the entire screw driver in and push... I just put the screwdriver in enough where I can push the center of the piston in. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? Any help would be much appreciated. I'm just confused with this rubbing sound.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Anyone?

mtbr member
    Try the brake forum! Front or rear? I'm guessing flex from the chainstays/fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    When I installed my xt brakes I had to realign the caliper several times before they were quiet. I found that if you over tighten the caliper mounting bolts that it would actually move the caliper out of alignment. Best advice is to loosen the bolts just enough to allow movement, squeeze the brake lever hard, "lightly" tighten both bolts, and then go over them once more then release the lever. While I find these to be the best brakes I have ever had on a bike, I also find them to be noisy at times where my previous set (tektro drako) were quiet all the time. I don't mind the trade off though because they just work so well. Every time I wash the bike or go through water on the trail they get loud until I do a few good stops. Also, if they are new, be sure to "bed" the pads by going out and getting some speed up and doing several hard stops to heat them up. When I first installed my xt setup (203mm front/180mm rear) I thought there was something wrong with them or they were not bled properly but after searching this forum, others informed me of the bedding procedure and it worked like a charm. Good Luck!

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    For resetting the pistons, I use a tire lever.

Also, I don't center the rotor by squeezing the brake lever; I manually do it. You need to be able to see light between the rotor and pads to do it this way, and you need to do it for both ends of the pads. If it is done right, when you squeeze the brake, the rotor won't move at all where it meets the pads on either side.

I'm not sure why yours is not doing it on the stand, but is on the trail. Did you remove or reinstall your wheel between setting the caliper and riding? If so, that might do it. A sticky piston could do that as well. But first I'd make absolutely certain that you have both ends of the pads centered on the rotor.

mtbr member
    Pistons are ceramic and a sharp object (bladed screwdriver) can chip/crack them or the screwdriver can slip and damage the seals.