Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

shimano pedals xt (780) vs xtr (980) vs Egg Beaters! Vs

Was going to splurge on some new XTR pedals, they look awesome, but read reviews on mtbr, very MIXED!

Very little on the XT's...

input?

NEW:

Thinking about those Egg beaters now...good deal available on the TiTi (top of the line)
    Last edited by everything motorcycl; 12-17-2012 at 09:20 AM.

29er
    Apr 2010
    or do like i did
    get xpedo
    lighter than xtr, cheaper than xt
    win win

love mine

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    never heard. Website? xtr are $145

29er
    Apr 2010
    yeah i never heard of them either
    did some poking around, and they have favorable reviews
    i didn't think a pedal could make much difference, but i definitely noticed a smoother pedal stroke vs. the shimano 520 i had before

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    i didn't think a pedal could make much difference, but i definitely noticed a smoother pedal stroke vs. the shimano 520 i had before
    I'm certifiably a clyde (~270lbs) and find Shimano 520s very flexy to pedal on. XT pedals come with a much stiffer axle and pedal a lot better because of it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks GT, I'm 100lbs less then you, so don't think I have to worry about the weight issue. I'm now looking into eggbeaters. Wanted to stay with same cleat, but I hear so many postive things about the CB's. I've got the $$$ so why not!??!

ballbuster

Double check them...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    or do like i did
    get xpedo
    lighter than xtr, cheaper than xt
    win win

love mine
    ... but many XPedo pedals have a weight limit. Also, I've had several Wellgo pedals (same company) over the years fail on me just because the durlin bushing inside wears out. It took a lot of packing new grease in them to keep them turning quietly.

Shimano uses cup and cone real ball bearings inside all of their pedals. Set, forget, spins forever. They're even user serviceable.

Plus, the cleat mechanism is way smoother.

Same goes for Eggbeaters. I know riders who wear out Eggbeaters in less than a year. One friend of mine bought several pair just so he has a set he can send back for service, like hot spares. He said Eggbeaters are the best pedals you will ever rent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Seems like what I keep hearing Dan...BUT, there are so many poor reviews on the XTR's 980s! The ole, SetNForget seems to be forgotten!

I have also noticed the XT's are available for 2013, but NOT the XTRs, maybe something in the works! I can live w a little nuisance of rebuild, just not downtime to BROKEN crap!

Nobody has mentioned anything about the XTs hardly anywhere on the forums.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Personally, I run 540's with a Ti Spindle upgrade. Considerably less money than XTR's, more durable (so far), and only 3 grams heavier than my XTR 970's

I prefer the SPD interface over anything else I've tried.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Did you prefer 970 over 540??? Many reviewers hated the upgrade from 970 to 980. Those eggbeaters look wild!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Time ATAC. End of discussion, IMO

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have a pair of XT Trail pedals. They're too new to really give any feedback other than they work nicely so far. A bit stronger of a click and less floaty than CB or Times. Previously I've had several pairs of Time ATAC's and CB Candies and Acids.

Crank Brothers is hands down the worst junk that you can put on your bike. They have flashy anodizing and their stuff looks nice when new, but everything they make is garbage.

If you want the feel of Crank Brothers, then do yourself a favor and pick up a pair of Times.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    ????? Please explain 'pick up a pair of TIME'?

Also, XT mountain, any feedback??? I was considering going that route...really want something very nice, but XTRs are getting bad reviews. Any input on Xpedos? Also, getting really good feedback on eggbeaters, got any experience with them?

Explain "floaty"?

Thanks

*love the input at mtbr, thanks guys! Always very helpful.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by everything motorcycl View Post
    Did you prefer 970 over 540??? Many reviewers hated the upgrade from 970 to 980. Those eggbeaters look wild!
    I prefer the 540's, the entry and exit is smoother IMO. The 970's are very nice though, mine have stood up to some abuse.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    funny, I have them on there now, I do like em, but figured I'd try something fancier shmancier. I got the $$$ for em.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That makes the decision even easier in my book. Drop $50 for the Ti Spindles. Spending good money on the XTR to save a few grams is not worth it IMO, especially with the current mixed reviews.

Now if you are interested in trying something other than an SPD, then the extra money might be worth it to you.

If you do do the spindle swap, make sure you put the right spindle with the right pedal. You do not want to mix them up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ????? Please explain 'pick up a pair of TIME'?

Also, XT mountain, any feedback??? I was considering going that route...really want something very nice, but XTRs are getting bad reviews. Any input on Xpedos? Also, getting really good feedback on eggbeaters, got any experience with them?

Explain "floaty"?

Thanks

*love the input at mtbr, thanks guys! Always very helpful.
    Time ATAC's are the pedal that Crank Brother's ripped off when they got into the pedal making business. The clipped in feeling is the same, but CB ruined the easy entry design by marketing a 4-sided pedal entry as a good feature. In reality, the clips are always at a different angle to the pedal body (ie, the smarties, candies, acids, mallets) so you have to kick the clips around the pedal body to get the cleat engaged. In addition to the 4-sided non-feature, they bend, they break, and they wear out at an alarming rate. It sounds worse than it is, but if you come from the Time pedals, you'll soon realize how inferior the CB's are. If you've never owned a pair of Time's and preach about how great CB's are, well then you don't miss what you've never had.

Floaty just means that you can twist your heel around a bit. The Shimano pedals feel a bit more locked into place, but they have adjustable tension, and I haven't used the new Shimano pedals enough to really say how they will do after a few months of riding.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    I have 10 years on eggbeaters and recently a year on Shimano XTR 980's and 540's. For ugly mud if you are getting off and running then getting back on your bike (think cyclocross racing) eggbeaters rule. For everything else the Shimano's are much better. I like the feel of the XTR's the best, it actually feels like I'm putting more power into the bike because the connection is so solid, something the eggbeaters lacked. 540's are the bargain of the century, almost as good as XTR's at a fraction of the cost.
    "Do not touch the trim"

ballbuster
    Heh... I always pick up Shimano M959s (XTR grade before the branded them 'XTR') and the model right after them at swap meets. I always seem to find them at around $20. I'm hoarding them.

I've been doing that for the last three or four years or so, and never had one fail on me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I raced the current XT pedals all season. While it is only one season, I raced in plenty of mud and dust along with hitting plenty of things with the pedals when I thought I would clear and I did not. I really do not notice the pedals which is a very good thing. They do their job to the point I do not know they are there.

I put them on, adjusted the tension and then raced hard. No complaints, they just do there job.

Not the most helpful but no complaints what so ever.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

xtr vs xt

Shimano's website BLOWS. Doesn't give specs well, can't compart xt vs xtr...what is the difference?!?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ????? View Post
    Floaty just means that you can twist your heel around a bit. The Shimano pedals feel a bit more locked into place, but they have adjustable tension, and I haven't used the new Shimano pedals enough to really say how they will do after a few months of riding.
    And if you want the "floaty-est", then check out Speedplay Frogs.

A very different pedal than the SPD or Time/Eggbeaters. No spring force, free float, good clearing ability and some of the lightest pedals out there. If you're under 180, you can get Ti spindles, even.

I've been using them since 1998 and, after getting used to the different feel (about a month of riding), wouldn't ride anything else!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    I'm a noob so take my advice with a grain of dirt.

I ride the 530's because every now and then I'm not clipped in and want some sort of platform.

The 540's sure look affordable now. Eggbeaters seem to get high marks of approval from mudmen, but I live in California and the only time we deal with mud is in a mudslide and then we always clip out and try to ride the bikes down by standing on top of them.

Are the XTR's 3.6 times better than the 540's?
    Hank

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Shimano's website BLOWS. Doesn't give specs well, can't compart xt vs xtr...what is the difference?!?
    I think they failed to provide more details because it would be way too similar to the xt's. The XTR is more for the bling factor and a very minimal weight savings...not even worth mentioning. I'm not gonna lie...if money was no option I'd probably get either the XT or XTR for cosmetic purposes only. Im sure the entry and release is skightly improved...but only someone whose ridden all the shimano pedals for years would notice a difference. The 540 is hands down the best value in spd pedals. Basically the same as XT and XTR for a fraction of the price. I've beaten mine up for 3 years and they still run perfect. I demoed the trail versions with the platform but made no difference at all. Probably a good option for someone using a flexy shoe such as the 5.10 or skate shoe with cleats mount. If you have a very stiff soled shoes...I'd go with the non platform version.

I just converted to the egg beaters strictly for the weight savings. I got the egg beater 3 along with the ti spindles. I saved a 1/4 pound in weight for less then XTR. Egg beaters will most benefit anyone who rides in muddy, snow conditions...along with people who need more float. Shimano have very little float. Anyone who does not like extra float will say it feels like your on ice. Completely personal preference. knee problems often require more float.

The shimano minimal float has been causing me knee pains for years...but the design/entry and release is so darn awesome that ive delt with the pain. I'm gonna give the egg beaters a try for a season to see if I like them. So far so good....but if I have any issues I'll most definitely go back to the tried and proven shimanos. But please don't overlook the 540's! I wouldn't even waste your time on the 520, XT, or XTR until you get the 540s and put in some saddle time. They are truly a gem in the rough, don't let price discourage you. 540s plus ti spindle in theory should be as light as XTR...and much less money.

mtbr member
    I have had CB Candy SL's, my first clipless pedal. I loved them, rode for a year, but they got sloppy and a little stiff. The cleats were starting to wear so thats probably where the slop came in.

Next I got the re-designed Look Quartz. I was hoping they would be similar to the Candy's at half cost. Rode on them twice, did not like them. They are adjusted fine with the shims, but when I power up tough technical descents, (I am singlespeed), one side seems un-clip every now and then which gets old. Plus they just don't feel that tight compared to the candy's.

So **** em, I am joining the Shimano pedal wagon and hope to be here for the rest of my MTB journey. I am sick of buying pedals so I purchases the Shimano XT PD-M785, I hope these last for years and years and years. The pedal float of the other brands is overrated when you really need to put the power down and crank up a real climb.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast