Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ti Spindles...so I got my sweeetness in! excited to change em...BUT, how do you change spindles...don't wanna screw my pedals up...there is a nut that looks like it should be removed, input would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    XTR for $120 on chain reaction
    I've had them on my TB for a yr now, NO problems. I weigh 170

ballbuster
    I dunno... I'm not sure ti spindles are all that. You blow $50 to shed what... 15 grams? Seems like an expensive way to save weight.

Plus, the ebay cadence magnet won't stick to it.

Plus, I've seen the posts where folks broke off the threaded tips of these things.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I dunno... I'm not sure ti spindles are all that. You blow $50 to shed what... 15 grams? Seems like an expensive way to save weight.
    It is not a lot of weight that you save, but the price of 540's with Ti spindles is about $50-$75 less than XTR's alone, and the weight is nearly the same. So IMO it is a better option, and worth the $50 upgrade.

XT's with Ti, cost about the same as XTR, and they should weigh slightly less than the XTR's. Still a great option, but perhaps not as much bang for the buck.

One Gear
    Spend the extra money on lighter tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHank View Post
    Pray tell me where does one get Titanium Spindles...TBay?

All kidding aside...I'm Serious,

Thanks,

Hank
    I am using these; http://www.ebay.ca/itm/170889392756?...#ht_603wt_1163

XT spindles are heavier than XTR as well

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    There IS an American company making them (Ti Spindles). How do you get the current spindles out?

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by everything motorcycl View Post
    There IS an American company making them (Ti Spindles). How do you get the current spindles out?
    You can probably find an exploded view on the interwebs somewhere, but basically the spindle/bearing assembly unscrews from the pedal body. You put the body in a vise (don't crush it, just to hold it still) and you take a wrench to the hex thingy where the spindle goes in. That hex thing contains the bearing races, cups, cones, spindle and everything. Once you take that out, you can disassemble the cup and cone bearings and move the whole thing over to the Ti spindle.

*edit*

Oh, I forgot. Some pedals use a big hex thing to unscrew the spindles, some use a funky splined thing that takes this special tool:

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks Pimbot, that 'hex thingy' is what I figured...but forgot about those bearing...will let my lbs change em.

I really wanna put my new xt's in NOW, but w a race in the a.m., w my luck they will fail or something will go wrong. Will put them in after race and hope to have .01 seconds off my lap times due to unsprung weight savings (-:

@trailgrinder
    I have been happy with my egg beaters, I have ridden them since 02 and have had no problems with quality or entrance or exits from them. I may venture into the xt's when my current pair decides to give up the ghost but for me the eggbeaters have been pretty bullet proof. I do like that they are light but that has never been a reason for me to choose one vs another.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Agreed Live. I'm assuming one should pick and use what they WANT. Unless you are a National competitor, can't even imagine that 20-50 grams makes a difference.

@trailgrinder
    I know weight and rotational weight is a big deal but I always figure I could loose 2 pounds off my ass first. My biggest thing is durability, if I can keep the weight down and not have to worry about seizing a pedal up in the back country al, is good. So it sounds as the xt's are pretty close to the xtr's and a little lighter on the pocket. For some reason I get all warm and funny when I see the xtr's and fall into the marketing and pay extra myself. One thing I can say is cool that crank brothers did this year was the buy back program, send in your old eggbeaters regardless of shape and get a new set of 2's for $60.00. Pretty good deal especially if you had an old set sitting in a box like I did.

THey are on Evil Bay. Shame is, I don't know what comes with XTR or XT's as they don't list it on their website. That said, 540s plus spindles look like one great set up. I elected for the XTs, will keep you posted.

Anyone know if the XT's come w ti?
    Agreed Live. I'm assuming one should pick and use what they WANT. Unless you are a National competitor, can't even imagine that 20-50 grams makes a difference.

ballbuster

Yeah, good move

Thanks Pimbot, that 'hex thingy' is what I figured...but forgot about those bearing...will let my lbs change em.

I really wanna put my new xt's in NOW, but w a race in the a.m., w my luck they will fail or something will go wrong. Will put them in after race and hope to have .01 seconds off my lap times due to unsprung weight savings (-:
    I personally don't change anything important two weeks before a race, especially drivetrain. I want at least two or three good rides on anything new before I trust that it's solid enough to race on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Live2, great success, so why switch? Just to try?

Yeah, had my first 2 lap race today...kept old peds on...I have to learn to control my starts...I keep gassing after about 15 min...then after about another 15 min, I get my legs back.

It is a motorcycle 'thing'. I see racers, I like to pass (-: On a motorcycle, you pass, your gone

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Xt vs XTR vs

I have always been an XTR fan but switched to CB Candys. The candys have a more consistant release when riding in fine dirt aka Moab red sand. Than the XTRs. The orig. Cands had weak seals and needed rebuilds more often, the new CBs are much better. You need to replace the cleats if you ride alot, about 1 a year for me.

@trailgrinder
    Live2, great success, so why switch? Just to try?

Yeah, had my first 2 lap race today...kept old peds on...I have to learn to control my starts...I keep gassing after about 15 min...then after about another 15 min, I get my legs back.

It is a motorcycle 'thing'. I see racers, I like to pass (-: On a motorcycle, you pass, your gone
    Yeah I would only switch it up for fun, of course keeping the egg beaters around but I will never know if I'm missing ou on something ifi don't give it a whirl.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    For anyone interested I saved 50g by swapping my XT spindles to Ti for $50 - and XTR and XT spindles are interchangeable.

Brought them down to 289g

I've got a set of XT pedals that are 15 years old still going strong. There is a big chunk missing out of one of the cages from falling off the car going 80mph. Still butter smooth. Service is super easy and takes literally 5 min. I've got a bunch of 540's and another pair of XTR's. No issues with any of them through all these years of abuse.

I'd like to someday try out another set of pedals, but at this point, I'm not going to try and fix something that's not broken.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I hear ya stremf...

For all...just installed, really like, but very honest...I mtb 3 x a week for last 8 months...so fairly new to sport but have athletic background.

I couldn't see ANY benefit from my New XT's vs my 520s!!! Maybe 520s a bit better broken in...not sure if there is such thing as 'break in' on them. BUT: there is DEF less float on XTs. Very little in comparison to my 520s...I prefer a bit of float...so hoping that maybe when spindle works in, will have a touch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've had egg beaters and just didn't like the feel of the pedal under my shoe. Used Time Atacs for about 5-6 years when Shimano's weren't known for shedding mud as well. Originally switched to XTR's because they were cheaper and lighter than the high end times. Had 2 sets of those and the only reason I stopped using the second pair was my fault because I let them get seized in a crank arm on a winter bike and cracked the threads trying to remove them. Raced everything from XC to 4X on them. No problems. The reason I have XT pedals is I was about 2 days out from a race and needed to buy pedals to replace the XTR's I'd messed up and XT's where the only pedals in stock. I don't notice a real difference between the 2 pedals. I think it's like a 30 gram weight difference. You can see the quality difference between the 540's and 520's though. If you can get XTR's for like $150 though do it.

May contain nuts
    After riding Time XS for years, I'm now on XT Trail.
    The good: more shoe support means less roll and flex, especially when using softer-soled shoes, but even with hard XC shoes it's noticeable.
    The not-so-good: less heel float before unclip than Time, which makes for entertaining no-footers when deploying a bit of jump-style . (Currently trying to teach myself flats to learn proper foot/pedal/air technique)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    i went through this debate not long ago, I ultimately ended up with the shimano m540's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    nashbar or pricepoint usually have good prices on them. ( Edit: )

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    The not-so-good: less heel float before unclip than Time, which makes for entertaining no-footers when deploying a bit of jump-style . (Currently trying to teach myself flats to learn proper foot/pedal/air technique)
    I think every one should spend some time on flats. I think it adds a little extra to peoples skill sets. Dirt Rag had an article on riding flats in the summer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The best value for money pedal I ever used was/is the Shimano M540. The "problem" with these is that they last forever. You can only "upgrade" to slightly lighter. Not better.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast