mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Shimano Hollowtech crank question

I have the Santa Cruz Tallboy LT and it came with the Shimano(dynasys) non series crankset(m552). It is a 3x10. I converted it to a 2x10 with a bashring using the Raceface chainring set(24/36/Bash). I am considering replacing the crankset with an XTR M980 trail crankset in the future. Does anyone know if the Raceface set I have now will fit the XTR ? I looked on Raceface's site and it's not updated to show any of the newer Shimano cranksets on it's compatibility charts. I know the 980 trail is a standard 64/104bcd. It does look like the crank spider is machined with an angle where the ringset bolts up and the one I have does not appear to as pronounced(kinda hard to explain without pics). It may just be the way I'm looking at it too. I want to stick with the 3x10 setup so I can still run the bashring. I also am pleased with the 24/36 combo. I know it probably isn't necessary to switch but I like tinkering with and slowly upgrading the bike and the XTR components are pretty nice.

If the chainrings are not compatible, what aftermarket brands are recommended that would work? I've searched all over the web and I am having a hard time finding any info on compatibility.

thanks
    Dave

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The chainrings won't be a problem, but as you thought, there aren't much bashguards with the shape of those tabs.
    Here's one example: Shimano M985 lightweight bash ring

Off course you can always adjust the bash a bit by use of a file..

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I thought about using a milling machine to change the angle on the bashring. That may work as long as the chainrings will work. I like the one you linked to. It says it's for the 985 series crank. I wonder if that's a misprint? The 985 is a double not a triple correct? Shouldn't it be for a 980? I emailed them so hopefully they will respond. I think they only make it for up to a 34 tooth chainring. I really want to run a 36.

thanks for the reply.

Dave

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hmm, sorry bout that, didn't double check. As far as I know the 985 is BCD88 and the 980 104/64 (both triple and double)...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Better check the rings too. Leech73 says they will not be a problem, but XTR inner chainrings have allways had an offset . Not sure about your crankset, but if the inner ring has this offset, a non-XTR 64 chainring will be too close to the middle ring.

The middle ring should not be a problem if it's a 104. In fact, my guess is that every 104 chainguard will fit, but that XTR specific ones will just clean up the looks a bit more.