Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Shimano Alfine 8 Speed Internal Hub

It appears Shimano will only be releasing the new Alfine 8 speed internal hub in Europe this year. Does anyone know of any online shops in Europe that will ship to the US? I would very much like to try the internal geared hub thing without taking the Rohloff plunge. Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gitzit; 12-01-2006 at 01:54 PM.

( )
    Nov 2004
    Really? The Alfine stuff isn't going to be available in the US in 2007? I'm waiting for the trigger shifter for my nexus 8 hub.

mtbr member
    Sweet. Is it designed to handle the torque loads of MTBing? That's been my only concern with the Nexus. Well, that and the lack of disc compatibility. 32h?
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

i don't give a shift
    Aussi très chic en noir!

blogging at 29in.ch

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by collideous
    Aussi très chic en noir!

The chain tensioner looks good.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

On MTBR hiatus :(
    That's a good looking groupo. (Ewww... I said "gruppo")

I've ordered from outdoorGB in Germany and ChainReactionCycles in the UK.

Funny... SRAM is releasing their equally interesting i-motion 9-speed hub, and I understand that that, too, will only be available in Europe. ( http://www.sram-imotion.com ).

But just an FYI -- despite my misgivings about using anything other than a Rohloff Speedhub for serious off-road duty, I spied this Shimano Nexus-equipped beauty atop the Kennedy Climb at last Thursday's annual Los Gatos Turkey Ride... and that climb can definitely be described as a grind!

speedub.nate
    · MTBR Hiatus UFN ·

mtbr member
    May 2006
    We had a groupo of this set at work, the hub is disk compatiable also!! I will try and get some pics on mon or tue..

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    If anyone has a European contact for ordering Alfine parts, let me know. Shipping is a killer, so putting together a group order might be smart.

2:1
    mtbr member

disc-compatible, grind-compatible...

... but off-road compatible? I'm guessing not... I'd love to hear otherwise, but I didn't think the Nexus hubs were burly enough for offroading, and I don't think the Alfine is much more than a red-band Inter-8 with a disc mount. I know that people on MTBR have put Inter-8s on their townie grocery-getters, but can anyone speak to Nexus-based Trans-Rockies assaults, wheelie-drops, etc?

Reviewer/Tester
    I believe that there are a few mtbr members doing long-term offroad testing on the Nexus hub.

I havn't had any updates for a while though, so I don't know how they are going.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

CP
    I'd say not too...A couple winters ago I laced a Nexus 7 to a rhynoLight, and threw it on a Stumpjumper.
    It was taken into the woods for roughly 3 months, which it barely survived. Drops, yes...Some big XC mileage - Yes...(although it sucked with all the weight)...some aweful sounding noises coming from said hub...YES
    Previously, the hub spent it's life as a commuter bike app, which is where it should have stayed.
    1st. The thing weighs a ton.
    2nd It's a PITA to change a flat (even though I ran DH tires, and didn't have this issue)
    3rd, and most important to note, the hub put out an all out protest in steep climbs...basically, it would make aweful "pinging" sounds, and even skip a little. And yes, it was adjusted correctly...just from this experience alone, I'd be willing to bet the Alphine is designed to be similar, and cant take the beating...said hub has permanent damage, since I've changed the oil, and made basic bearing adjustments...it still works, but there's those crunchy sounds coming from it that I think are permanent. I did follow rec. lowest gear ratio also...so it didn't get mis applied (if that makes any sense)....sorry for the rambling....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I'm in germany

Quote Originally Posted by El Caballo
    If anyone has a European contact for ordering Alfine parts, let me know. Shipping is a killer, so putting together a group order might be smart.

And ya'll can start sending me checks if you want......

Seriously though, I've been talking to my lbs about this very thing. He has high hopes for the alfine and SRAM I9 as off-road capable hubs. The only downside is that neither of the new offerings have improved in the manner they are serviced. Rohloff has everyone beat there.

The I9 is specced on bikes that cost about 500 euros, so it can't be too expensive. I'll probably be trying one out next year.

( )
    Nov 2004
    The Red Stripe version is supposedly more up to the task of offroad riding than previous versions. Here's a link to a discussion in the drivetrain forum:

Shimano Nexus 8 "Red Band" gearhub: review thread

There are a couple people who sound like they really hammered on them and they seem to be holding up fine. I put mine on my karate monkey for a few rides and it worked fine and I wasn't being nice to it. That was only about 3 rides though. Now it's now back on my commuter which I also use for trails occassionally, but I wouldn't make claims on it's durability based on that. It is heavy, and shifting between 4 and 5 seems to be tricky sometimes. I'm hoping that will be fixed with the trigger shifter, if I can ever get my hands on one.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by arkadi
    The I9 is specced on bikes that cost about 500 euros, so it can't be too expensive. I'll probably be trying one out next year.
    What is the availability like on those I9s? I want that or a NuVinci for my street bike (to replace a Nexus), and the NuVinci looks both expensive and unavailable.
    speedub.nate
    · MTBR Hiatus UFN ·

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

THe I9 will be available

Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    What is the availability like on those I9s? I want that or a NuVinci for my street bike (to replace a Nexus), and the NuVinci looks both expensive and unavailable.

next spring. Disk brake options too. And trigger shifters. My LBS guys saw both the Nexus redline and the I9 at eurobike, and said they where pretty indistinguishable in performance.

I really like the concept of the nuvinci, but it's been floating around for a couple of years as a concept, without really appearing anywhere in actual use.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    any word on this alfine group buy?

i've been searching various european ebays, and haven't really had any luck.

nor have i seen them forsale online anywhere.

i really want the rapidfire for my current inter8, and the alfine and shifter for my dual sus.

JJT
    mtbr member
    If available from Shimano Europe already I may be able to help you guys out.

Please let me know what part numbers you want and I will check availability.

Email might be more convenient: JJ at singlespeed dot nl

JJ
    Singlespeed Central - European SS and 29" webshop

JJT
    mtbr member
    They are available, only in Silver for now.
    I will get one and get back here with price info.

JJ

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    SL-S500 Rapidfire Plus Shifter for Inter-8
    http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/catalog/...=1167941678549

This is the shifter for both Alfine and Nexus 8 hubs.

JJT
    mtbr member
    Yesterday was my irst off road trip with the new Shimano Alfine hub, mounted to my Niner Sir9, which provides the perfect platform for the hub, as the EBB solves the chain tension problem.

On the Niner you are able to run only the inner cable from the cable stop at the headtube till the hub, so no unnecessary friction.

For the record, this is no racing hub, IMHO. The engagement is not on par with a cassette/freewheel wheel, after coasting it takes some time fo the hub to engage, which is no problem, as long as you have no problems with that.

We did a 50 km trip on fairly flat terrain, so shifting was mainly between 4, 5 and 6 and some lower and higher shifts on the small climbs and some descends.

As there was quite some singletrack I shifted between 4, 5 and 6 frequently. During the trip I had to readjust the cable some times, as it was the first ride after mounting it on the bike and the cable had to set a little.

Shifting is quick, but you have to get used to taking of power of the pedals, as this hub is not made to shift under power, but that is the case with most hubs out there.

Great thing is you can shift while coasting, which is great after bad anticipating a sharp turn; shifting in the corner and have the right,lower gear to handle a climb, hole, etc.

Problem with the Nexus hub has sometimes be the interface between hub abd cog, and as this is not changed for the Alfine time will show how it holds up.

The good and the bad:

+ Clean looks and function
    + great shifter cable routing
    + Centerlock Disc mount (personal)
    + Great shifter, although the feel is a little 'indirect'
    + easy setup
    - weight compared to rear der/cassete setup (?)
    - harder to service in the field (more tools needed when cables looses up)

It is hard to say anything on durability, time will tell.

For me it is a keeper for now. Will try to make some more miles on it so I will see how it holds up.

Some pics:

JJ

JJT
    mtbr member
    Update on availability:

It seems the set I got was the only set available at Shimano Europe at that time.
    The estimated arrival time for a new shipment Alfine is March 25.

JJ

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Got at weight on that hub setup?

And, how the heck do I get one of those cranks?

mtbr member

Mongoose Sabrosa

Anyone seen this commuter from Mongoose? The US version is pretty sweet looking in matte black, but the UK version has the Alfine gruppo on it. They always get the cool stuff in Europe first! Unfortunately, the UK Sabrosa is kinda ugly IMHO. I'd love to get my hands on the matte black frame with the black Alfine stuff on it tho!

mtbr member
    Any information regarding availability ?
    Does someone have an address of a lbs or online shop that stocks the Alfine hub and shifters. Here in Sydney, one shop has a home-brand hybrid bike with the non-disc version for US$800. Do I have to buy the complete bike just to get the hub ?

JJT
    mtbr member
    I got an update from Shimano Europe today.

The hub will arrive end of this month (Expected Arrival Date is 25-5-2007).
    The shifter is available now. the 18t Cog is also available.

As for the prices (estimations):

Hub in silver: 220 Euro
    Shifter: 33 Euro
    Cog: 7 Euro

JJ

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast