mtbr member

Shimano 29er wheelsets?

I'm about to buy my first 29er, and it'll be one of the 2013 Anthems with XT components.

I'd like to swap out the Giant wheels for some XT Shimano, but can't seem to find any Shimano 29er wheelsets at XT level (MT-75, M785) that have combination of 15mm front hub and QR rear.

Don't Shimano make this combination, or is everyone just out of stock for some reason?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As far as I know, Shimano has yet to sell any 29er wheelsets. I could be wrong....

They are prototypes out there but nothing released to the general public

mtbr member
    Oh, they're out there - Shimano MT75 XT 29er MTB Disc Wheelset | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com but only seem to be in QR hubs, and I need the 15mm thru axle on the front :-(

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The only one with a 15mm front are the MT55. Shimanos new WH-M785-29 Deore XT wheels should launch with the new MT66-29 SLX Trail wheels in a month or so and will both offer 15mm options. Maybe you can find them sooner. I have seen that chainreactioncycles already has a listing for the mt66 but nothing in stock.

mtbr member
    Cool! Looks like I'll have to hang on a bit for the new M785-29 then...

Month or so you say. Hmmm, got a four day enduro in October, so hopefully will be able to get hold of a set before then!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthMTB View Post
    Oh, they're out there - Shimano MT75 XT 29er MTB Disc Wheelset | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com but only seem to be in QR hubs, and I need the 15mm thru axle on the front :-(
    Nice....you learn something new everyday!

Thanks

mtbr member
    They also make the MT55 F15 with a 15mm front hub
    Shimano MT55 F15 29er Wheel Set Black

But you could always just lace a set of XT hubs onto the rim of your choice. This would make for a much more serviceable wheelset as it would use standard spokes, nipples, and rims.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    They also make the MT55 F15 with a 15mm front hub
    Yeah, but I don't think the MT55 is much of an upgrade from teh Giant wheels that come with it.

But you could always just lace a set of XT hubs onto the rim of your choice. This would make for a much more serviceable wheelset as it would use standard spokes, nipples, and rims
    Good point, I've had to replace a few spokes in my time, and I was concerned that might be an issue on the Shimano wheelsets, though I hear they come with a couple of spares? I'll think about that one...