Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Successful 29er TUBELESS CONVERSION SETUPs ( 29’’)

Coming from 26’’world with 3 bikes successfully running tubeless for past 4 years and ZERO flats. Nice history. I am using mostly Eclipse (DT Swiss) conversion kits but STAN’s works similarly.

NOW after crossing to 29’’ world and my first 29er bike (I love it) and 26ers start collecting dust at home, I am frustrated, say at least a bit. No tubeless tires (except Crow now), tires too big for tubeless conversion and difficult to inflate even with strips.

I’ve spent a lot of time toying with 2 sets of rims and tires:

Rims) Amer. Classic MTB-350 29’’ and Bontrager Race Lite 29’’
    Tires) Bontrager 2.2 ACX 29’’ and Maxxis Ignitors 2.1

and of course Stan’s strips and yellow tape.

Sofar, any combination is failing and after many hours, no success, even with compressor at home and on the gas station.

HERE IT IS:
    CAN WE SHARE HERE WORKING combination of RIMS, TIRES, PREPARATION PROCEDURES (e.g. USING STANS STRIPs or leaving the orig. spoke strip intact).

I am sure many of us struggled the same way and letting us know what was the secret of the success for you, can help the other.

Let me and other please know your successful 29’’ tubeless conversion procedure/ setup.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ***

Many thanks Pete
    Last edited by Ride_2_Fast; 06-25-2006 at 02:06 PM.

mtbr member
    American Classics:
    Nano Raptors wire bead and Specialized Fast Tracks
    Rim set up:
    3m strapping tape
    Stans valve stem
    electric tape (the good stuff)
    Stans sealant

Sanded in side of rim lightly
    cleaned with rubbing alcohol
    strapping tape
    electric tape
    poke hole for valve stem
    place tube in tire pump up to 60 psi this set tape
    deflate remove tube
    add tubless stem
    add stans
    spray soapy water around wheel air up to until bead snaps
    do the shake and spin
    mine hold air for at least 5 days without losing more than 1-3 psi.
    The Nano's sealed up quick, but the Specialized needed a little help with some watered down degreaser around tire instead of soap.
    Used a compressor also.
    Team Mate has the Kevlar nanos and has no problems we are both 6'ft 170+ XC racers

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Try different rims. Mavic or Stans.

I have inflated Maxis Ignitors on Mavic XC 717 disc rims with a floor pump, using rim strips.

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004

I've done...

wire and kevlar bead notos, wire bead motoraptor and exiwolf, and now the crow. The wire beads were the hardest to seal for me. The beads are super loose and (of course) not flexible. I find that using a paint brush and working the soap and water into the bead until achieving an almost shaving cream like consistency works best. I've done them hanging and on the floor. Actually worked best for me to leave the tire/wheel on the ground then lift it with the inflator while holding the tire above the stem - let's you sort of work the bead/rim connection a bit. I don't think I could ever seal one of the loose fitting wire bead tires with a floor pump.

mtbr member

Rim's

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. RMB
    Try different rims. Mavic or Stans.

I have inflated Maxis Ignitors on Mavic XC 717 disc rims with a floor pump, using rim strips.
    Rims are the key. I use Stan's rims at 225lbs and they work great with Ignitors, Nanos and Exis.

Just the tape and sealant (no rim strip).

Pure bliss

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have run Stan's rims with yellow tape and olympic strips with folding Kenda Karmas and Specialized Fast Tracks. 30-35# no toubles at all.

I also have run Cane Creek Carbon Zonos wheels with the Karmas using strapping tape, electric tape and 26" std rim strips. No problems.

I mounted (all folding tires) Bontrager's, IRC Mythos, and Ignitors and the beads felt very loose and unsafe. I did not have the gonads to ride them. The Karmas and FastTracks fit tight on both sets of wheels.

mtbr member
    Velocity VXC rims with Stan's 26" rimstrips, Ignitor rear and wire bead Exi front.

drilled out inner valve hole on both rims. mounted both tires with tubes first and let them sit for a week (probably didn't need to be that long, I was waiting on parts for the build). used soapy water, 2 scoops of fluid in each tire, and compressed air.

sealed quickly and easily, held air well from the start. No problems after at least 20 hours of riding.

caffeine dependent
    Anyone have any luck with Salsa Delgados? I spent a while trying to get the tires to seat on the rim, but got no dice.

What's the trick with the soap suds?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bonty Rims

I have bonti rims with wire bead motoraptors, my multiple flats per ride are history. I'm not kidding, The Africa terrain I live in has thorns like nowhere else. I use my own sealant mix, similar to what is commonly used by mtbr members.
    I am using the split tube method (shraeder valve) with a velox strip underneath to creat a tight fit for the tire. Link here: http://www.geocities.com/etrexkb/no_flat.htm
    I like having a valve attached to my rim strip, and the rubber to rubber contact seems very air-tight, although I haven't tried very -low pressures (under 25psi.) The shraeder valve makes adding sealant a breeze.
    The only thing I don't like is that if the tire get's totally deflated for some reason (adding sealant), the seal can easily break and I have to re-air with a compressor. With the tire to rim method (ala stans) the sealant bonds the tire and rim so that the tire is almost glued on. Once you get a good seal, you can air up with a minipump when you go flat.
    Since 26" shraeder tubes are in abundance here, I am using that for my rim strip.

Poorly Disguised Poser
    Made my own rimstrips from some 24" tubes....I will spare you the details because while the worked REALLY well...they did not work as good as the Stan's I am now running.

I now run delgados (non disc) with Exiwolf tires
    follow the directions pertaining to 29er delgados exactly on the stan's site (i.e. use 2 layers of velox strips to build up the center section, install strip after drilling the valve hole.

This proceedure is well documented on the stans site. I think most people will have good results if they use the rim compatibilty chart that Stan has on his site, and follor the directions EXACTLY!

I selaed them with a Park floor pump...aired up easily as stan claimed.

down side....
    If I run 25 psi or lower, I can and will burp air pressure and eventually break the seal. I ride very hard, and dont shy from jumps and such. If i keep the pressure over 30psi I have no problems.

When you push the beads inward you can hear air rushing out (burping). this takes a great deal of force.

My next plan is to try the ZTR free ride rims. according to the stan they seal up much better and if you push the beads together air does not rush out. Can anyone running these rims confirm this? Does anyone test their seals as Stan shows in the videos?

http://www.notubes.com/moviecompar.php

Thanks
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by bstiff
    Anyone have any luck with Salsa Delgados? I spent a while trying to get the tires to seat on the rim, but got no dice.

What's the trick with the soap suds?
    Delgado Disc rims or Delgado X rims?

The NoTubes site says not to use Stans with the Delgado Disc rims.

http://www.notubes.com/support_selecting.php

BB

Believer in Darwin
    I was pretty skeptical too coming from 26in wheels last April.
    Stans Olympic Rims
    Kenda Karmas(standard tire)
    yellow rim tape(bought from Stans for 5 bucks)
    I have been "Stansing" Kendas for about 2 years now so I know a lot of little tricks. These mounted quite easily though don't inflate them past 35#s. It might stretch out the bead.
    Knock on wood but no problems yet. As a matter of fact I had to have the wheel trued for a race the other day and the took of my tire in order for it to fit on the trueing stand. Slapped the tire on and aired it right back up again. No problems.
    I am going to convert my Bontrager Race Rims next, though I will use the Stans Rubber Rim strip for those.
    paz afuera

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! One more point

I started using the 26" wheeled UST system when it first came out.

Used several tire combos (UST and non UST). Stan’s rims are by far better than any UST system I have used in the past.

Dr Gadget is IN

Several Successful Setups

For all applications, I use StanStrips and DIY sealant (latex/slime/AF/2water)
    So far I have done -

Matrix road rims with wire bead MotoRaptors - took patience to get the strips into these rims w/o buckling, but it worked (rim a bit too narrow)

StanZTR rims with FastTrak, Ignitor, wire MotoRaptor (used)

All of the new tires have gone together easily - the Moto I switched rims on was a bit of a problem.

I always use an air tank to seat the bead. I apply soap/water with a squirt bottle set to "spray" and shoot it directly into the bead/rim gap all around. And if all else fails - give the wheel a spin (1 rev then stop) and then hit it with air quickly before the sealant can get very far. If you spin and wait, you will have sealant drooling all over the place. But done quickly, its a sure thing for seating. Learned this on 26ers.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member

stan's w / salsa delgado's and mytho's

has been been great for me and im 250 lbs w/o gear. zero flats in 6 month's riding rooty, rocky east coast terrain.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

Recovering couch patato
    Delgado Cross, Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35", non-ZTR Stan's 29" strips, cork bar tape underneith.

Older ZTR rims with Stan's 29" ZTR strips, Fast Traks and Karma's. Karma's require thicker goo solution when home mixing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    stans ztr rims with the yellow tape. (he sent the rims with strips too, said they were optional, so I didn't use them)

Kenda Karma's - zero issues.

They tires are very tight on the rim. I have run low pressure nad snapped the tire off on angled rock more than a few times. Never burped air.

I would like just a tad more grip in the front, but they just roll so fast, it's hard to change to something else.

Category Winner
    Here's a guy who puts on a few miles once and awhile.
    With pics? Yummy.
    http://epicriding.blogspot.com/2006/...-tubeless.html
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3˘ every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member

another option

Posted this reply in another thread recently, but this seems like a good place too.

I've had success with Maxxis rimstrips. $5 on their website. Plus Stan's sealant.

On DT 7.1 with Maxxis Ignitors. Had to use the stock plastic rimstirp, plus two layers of strapping tape(with fibers). The Maxxis strip goes on top of that. About 1.5 scoops of Stans per tire. Able to inflate with floor pump when I pumped REALLY fast. Once bead is seated, no issues. I've used this setup for several races now... loses very little air in a week.

On Bontrager Superstock wheels with wire bead EXIs. Stock rimstrip(cloth), plus one layer of strapping tape. About 1.5 scoops of Stans per tire. Again, took some initial FAST pumping to seat, but then no problems. A few rides on this setup so far.

Maxxis strips come in different widths/depths for 26inch wheels. Since you're stretching them so much, I don't think the model number matters all that much, but I ordered according to my 29in wheel's depth/width.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

MC 29er stock rims & notubes?

Has anyone successfully converted the stock Alex rims and EXI tires that come on a Monocog 29er? If so, which rimstrips did you use?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

29er Stans 355 w/ Fastracks...

have worked great for me with only the yellow tape (once the trails dried out ). Will need to find a different tire for Fall/Winter. Like how light the rims and tires were, wheelset is probably the same as average 26", but with all the advantages of the big wheels.
    that rug really tied the room together.

This place needs an enema
    DT RR 1.1 built up with 2-sided foam and sealed with strapping tape, Maxxis Ignitor, 2 scoops. Inflated with a compressor and took ~an hour of messing with it to get it to stop leaking and hold air. Had to add air after the first three rides (ridden by my 115lb wife). On the fourth ride the tire (front) blew off the rim on a descent. She bled and bruised but didn't break.

Stans ZTR 355, yellow tape, Maxxis Ignitor, 2 scoops. Inflated with a floor pump, sealant did it's job in just a few minutes. About 3 minutes into the first ride, the tire blew off the rim. No injuries, but that was strike two.

Stans ZTR 355, yellow tape, IRC Mythos R, 2 scoops. Inflated with a floor pump, sealant did it's job in just a few minutes. Rode it around the yard, around the block, up and down a few curbs, etc... to get it seated. No burps, no leaks. Tire blew off on the way to the trailhead. Strike three, and no more tubeless for the wife.

I've used various combinations of 700c rims and 29" tires without tubes over the last 5 years. Mavic rims, Bontrager rims, Stans rims, Salsa rims, and Zipp rims. WTB, IRC, Kenda, and Maxxis tires. All using Stans strips and sealant. All have inflated and sealed, but all have also ultimately failed, some quicker than others. It's rare for any of them to last more than a few rides. The best, most durable, longest lasting setup was the Kris Holm Unicycle rim, Stans DH rim strip, and a WTB wire bead Exiwolf. The rears last a few rides at best before I punch holes through the tread (riding sharp rocks) or tear a sidewall. I had one front that lasted ~6 months, but typically they only last a few rides before the tire fails.

MC

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    DT RR 1.1 rims on a wheelset built by mikesee, Stans 26 inch rim strips, homemade sealant and Nanoraptor tires. 165 pound rider on a GF Rig racing hardpack conditions in Michigan.

I have tried many 26 inch tubeless tire setups and expected to have some difficulty. Much to my suprise, tires inflated with small compressor on first attempt and held air overnight. No problems the next day during a 20 mile easy ride so I decided to use them at my next race, an 8 hour race. I had a brake issue during the race and switched to my 1FG for a lap. After that lap, I was a 29er converter.

Tires held air during the entire race without issue. Mileage was around 100, 50% singletrack. Four days later, still at same pressure.

Flight Junkie
    Stan's rims, Yellow tape, 1 1/2 scoops sealant and Ignitors. Aired with floor pump and have held since (4 months now). Hope they continue...
    ROTOR HEAD

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Easton Sagitta (CX)
    Ritchey 42c ZEDs
    Stan's

Bontrager Race Lite Disc
    WTB NanoRaptors (steel)
    Stan's

Bontrager Race Lite Disc
    WTB ExiWolf
    Stan's