Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Setting sag on Rockshox Reba 29 100mm solo air

I cannot get this thing to have any more than 10mm sag and still hold my weight. Rockshox recommends anywhere from 105-130 psi for me at ~180lbs. I went down to 70psi and the sag was great and the shock felt amazing, until I hit anything and it pretty much bottomed out.

Right now I have it at 105 and the sag is 10mm, but feels ok. Definitely feels better than it did the first couple rides I took when my LBS set the pressure.

I love this bike but I am beginning to miss the fox float my old cannondale had on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I rode my buddies Superfly with Reba Solo Air and he is 185lbs and I had to load it up to 150 psi so it wouldn't bottom out. Plus it makes a weird noise when it compresses. Would never trade my Fox Float 32 for Rockshox.
    '14 Giant Anthem Adv 29
    '13 Giant Anthem 29
    '13 Trek Superfly 29
    '11 Trek 4300 Disc

mtbr member
    What's the compression damper on that reba?
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It's probably leaking air into the lowers. That causes some funkiness with sag settings. I'd release the negative spring (Schrader valve under the nut on the air spring side) and then pull the lowers down a bit to release any trapped air. If that improves the fork, the rebuild the air spring, or get RS to fix it for you if under warranty...

mtbr member

So there is a shrader valve on the underside of the solo air models?

I imagine its under warranty since the bike is a year old, but just purchased new a couple weeks ago.

I regret not ordering a Marin nail tail off eBay...would have gotten better stuff and a fox float.

Solo air

::edit:: what weird noise? The swoosh sound? My fox did that as well as my reba.

Warrior's Society
    That is why I won't give up my Dual Air Reba's.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    That is why I won't give up my Dual Air Reba's.
    Yeah, gotta say, I think Rockshox screwed the pooch by going to Solo Air on the Rebas. Seems that everybody I know who bought a dual air Reba, and late got the Solo Air were disappointed in the new version.

Dual Air was the coolest thing about the old Rebas. It's seriously tunable. You could set how firm the air spring was separately from the sag. If you want a firmer shock that doesn't blow through it's travel so easily, put more air in the negative and positive. If you want a more active fork that uses more travel, use less positive and negative air.

I remember RS suggested that I use something like 160 psi positive and negative to compensate sag for my 210 pound behind, but I preferred 110 psi positive and negative. I don't do any big drops or anything, and I like a soft fork that is very active. If it bobs, I just hit the Motion Control set to mega firm lockout.

mtbr member

Honesty the biggest issue I'm having is how hard the fork seems to be at the start of the travel.

I never tried to adjust my fox float and honestly have no idea where my pressure was. For all I know it felt so plush because it was under inflated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yes there is a Schrader valve hidden under the nut at the bottom of the leg on the airspring side. Cover the let l leg opening with a rag when you depress it as it woo l will shoot oil out under pressure, which is not fun...

Merendon Junkie
    I really like my solo air reba now that I fixed the issues with air leaking to the lowers it had right out of the box. I also own a dual air sid, and frankly, I could do without the dual air feature as my preferred setting is both pos and Neg air at the same pressure.

OP, 70 psi sounds a little low, I use 85 psi and weigh 168 lbs. I get 25% sag on a 120 mm reba and dont blow through the travel until I am doing 4 foot drops. Maybe your body position is very rearweight biased when settiing sag thus there is very little weight on you fork when on your neutral position. When riding the weight distribution dinamics change thus blowing through your travel. Try setting it al 90 psi and tweak it from there.

Cheers
    Abel

mtbr member

105 keeps it from bottoming out for me but it still feels to damn hard. The first part of the travel is hard as hell until you work it up and down a few times.

I'm hoping it's something that can be fixed easily under warranty because I am regretting this purchase.

To top it off the elixir 1s sounds like a turkey that is about to die every time I hit the brakes.
    Last edited by Sickmak90; 05-23-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickmak90 View Post

To top it off the elixir 1s sounds like a turkey that is about to die every time I hit the brakes.
    Mine did the same thing when they were new just go easy on your braking for the first 50 miles that's what I did and mine don't do it anymore.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by TechniKal View Post
    Yes there is a Schrader valve hidden under the nut at the bottom of the leg on the airspring side. Cover the let l leg opening with a rag when you depress it as it woo l will shoot oil out under pressure, which is not fun...
    You are correct about the valve and there was some air inside. Does this mean I have pressure leaking into my lowers?

After releasing it I pumped my fork back to 100psi and it still feels much harder than I think it should. I have to put 185lbs on top of the bars and really push down hard to get 1/2 travel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    From factory, for some reason, it looks like a lot of Reba RS forks have almost no air in the negative chamber. deflate your fork to 0 air then put air in gradually, pausing to cycle the fork between inflations every 10 to 15 psi up to about 70 psi. then adjust pressure for sag. I bet it feels a lot better after this procedure.

I cannot get this thing to have any more than 10mm sag and still hold my weight. Rockshox recommends anywhere from 105-130 psi for me at ~180lbs. I went down to 70psi and the sag was great and the shock felt amazing, until I hit anything and it pretty much bottomed out.

Right now I have it at 105 and the sag is 10mm, but feels ok. Definitely feels better than it did the first couple rides I took when my LBS set the pressure.

I love this bike but I am beginning to miss the fox float my old cannondale had on it.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member

Also is it possible the remote lockout is to tight? Maybe I am having issues with the fork being slightly locked out?!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It's supposed to have air in the negative spring. You still need to separate the lowers from the uppers in order to let any air that's leaked into the lowers out.

I'd recommend that you rebuild the air spring. It's a simple job and most of the forks came with the service kit. That will likely fix the issue. If not, then pursue warranty with rock show, or buy a new air spring if out of warranty...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TechniKal View Post
    It's supposed to have air in the negative spring. You still need to separate the lowers from the uppers in order to let any air that's leaked into the lowers out.

I'd recommend that you rebuild the air spring. It's a simple job and most of the forks came with the service kit. That will likely fix the issue. If not, then pursue warranty with rock show, or buy a new air spring if out of warranty...
    That's not how it works as far as I understand. try my fix first. if it isn't good after that, you haven't harmed anything, then send it back. This is my new favorite fork after I did this to it. I had crazy stiction before I did this and now it is plush and nice.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member

I did what you said and it seems like it may have helped. Right now I have it set at 90psi and I almost get 20mm of sag. I am going to go out on a couple trails in a few and see how it does. I may end up having to increase the air pressure another 10psi if it tried to bottom out. The recommended setting for me is actually 120psi, but that makes it really stiff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I run mine way lower than the chart as well but it works great.
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Well I decided to ride today with 105psi and ended up bottoming out twice. I never felt it bottom out but the o-ring ended up all the way at the top. I am going to try 110psi and see if that makes any difference at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty2341 View Post
    I rode my buddies Superfly with Reba Solo Air and he is 185lbs and I had to load it up to 150 psi so it wouldn't bottom out. Plus it makes a weird noise when it compresses. Would never trade my Fox Float 32 for Rockshox.
    Something is wrong here. I'm at 220 lbs and ride aggressive on technical trails. I've got my Reba set on 125 psi and use about 90% of the fork travel and never bottom out my friend

mtbr member

I ran 105 and bottomed out so I bumped it up to 110 and almost bottomed out riding around my house. I'm at 120 psi now and hope to ride in a few days.

mtbr member
    I ran 105 and bottomed out so I bumped it up to 110 and almost bottomed out riding around my house. I'm at 120 psi now and hope to ride in a few days.
    How much do you weigh ??

Formerly of Kent

Why do people use sag as a metric for fork performance? Sag indicators can help you determine if you've used all of your travel, or, generally speaking, provide a visual cue to what pressure/settings LOOK like, but I'd never use sag to dictate settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Why do people use sag as a metric for fork performance? Sag indicators can help you determine if you've used all of your travel, or, generally speaking, provide a visual cue to what pressure/settings LOOK like, but I'd never use sag to dictate settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I didn't either. I watched a well seasoned bike guy set the fork without SAG and rather go for full travel without bottoming out. What's the use of having a 100 mm fork if your only using 50mm of travel. Mine is set at roughly 90% travel and not sag. So I'm using just about all my travel and the fork does exactly what I need it to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast