Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Seatpost with some 'give'?

I was reading somewhere around here recently where the Niner RDO carbon seatpost takes the edge off the bumps, especially noticeable on a hard-tail. I'm not looking for a suspension seatpost, but I am interested in something if it would dampen the back end a bit, I've got a '08 or so Kona Kula dlx 29er, with the stock 27.2 seatpost, it will need to be 400mm I think. What other carbon posts do you guys recommend that might have similar 'give' as compared to the Niner RDO that gets such good reviews?

mtbr member
    I'm riding a Syntace P6 and it really does take the edge off. Highly recommended. I think the Niner post is more or less equivalent.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Cannondale SAVE post, that sucker has a crazy amount of give.

Get to dah choppah
    The Syntace is the king of carbon posts with significant give without being actually sprung. It's $230 though.

You can get an FSA SL-K for about $90. It doesn't have the noticable movement of the P6, but it's far more comfy than an alloy model or most of the expensive / superlight CF units.

Universal Cycles -- FSA SL-K Carbon SB20 Seatposts
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member

mtbr member
    How about an Enve post? Currently riding the Syntace P6-HiFlex : really love it, but Enve components have a nice bling factor

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Personally I don't really buy the 'vertical compliance' thing...If there was any real amount of compliance in them then manufacturers would publish figures. There are posts designed for cyclocross that have a useful amount of give and don't have the weight penalty of other suspension posts, I don't see why they can't be fitted to mountain bikes.

Specialized do the 'cobl gobl r' and they do actually publish figures for it, 7mm of vertical compliance.

There's also the Ergon CR3....

New Suspension Seat Posts from Ergon (CR3) and Specialized (CobL GobL-R) - Cyclocross Suspension - YouTube

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I ride a hardtail and was looking for the same thing. I purchased the Syntace Hiflex based on a buddy's recommendation. I was a skeptic, but after my first ride I was blown away. Don't get me wrong, this aint suspension, but it takes the edge off the constant nagging hits. I'm not nearly as tired, and I have no aches or pains. I'm 47, so trust me, I know what aches and pains are on a bike. It was worth every penny. And yes, the movement is visible. I can bend the post back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Interesting; I'm 46 and probably not at tough as I used to be. I find longer xc races on rough terrain really make my lower back sore. I'm thinking that with a seatpost with some give, and the back exercises I'm doing maybe I can avoid spending big bucks on a fs bike for racing next season. I'm just hoping to not feel as beat-up after a 2-3 hour race on rocks and roots.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    The niner post is the same as the syntace, but the syntace has a better rail clamp system and a better warranty, for the same price. Get the syntace. It's no joke. Flexes nicely but survived a crash I had that completely mangled the rails of my saddle. Really an awesome product.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    There is a good article out there that debunked many myths for many of these seatposts.

Offset posts and where on the saddle rails you clamp down has more affect on compliance. I run a +25 aluminum Truvatuv T40 post that is very comfy for the money.

COTA member
    I switched from the Specialized carbon to a Syntace P6 Highflex Carbon on my S-Works StumpJumper and it took the edge off the harsh ride. Just ride behind someone with this post and you can visually see the flex. Recommended.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Have you thought about a saddle with Ti rails? I had an SDG saddle years ago that really took the edge off my aluminum hardtail.

650b me
    I'm watching and waiting for someone to weigh in on Ti seatposts, especially with layback.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

mtbr member
    but not in 27.2 and they don't plan on getting any.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have an eriksen ti with 30mm setyback with my saddle almost all the way back and it is pretty comfy. You can see the post flex when just leaning on the saddle. I had another eriksen with the standard 20mm setback which was just as comfy. I dont think you get the flex from the setback though, i think it is just a combo of the ti and having the saddle slid pretty far back. I use a saddle with ti rails also, mainly for the durability but you get the flex in the rail as well.

However, these new carbon saddles with the leaf springs and what not may be a better option than ti for those wanting more give.

Never trust a fart
    This. The Cannondale SAVE post has approx. 10-12 mm of flex built into it. I will be ordering one for my bike soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    but not in 27.2 and they don't plan on getting any.
    Syntace Products - Niagara Cycle

Niagara has the P6 in 30.9 and 30.6 for $165.

Edit - the 30.9 is out of stock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    great read on Velonews!
    ebay has a P6 in 27.2 for $88, but it doesn't quite look the same as the P6 on the syntace website, hmm... I think I will not consider that ebay one.
    I have changed to a ti rail saddle, still the Rival that has some padding, I did have a cromo rail Rival.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

I have a custom Ti seatpost from Bold Precision. 20mm setback tapers significantly from main seat post mast to 31.6 for my frame. Has a ton of flex especially b/c I have a lot of post showing. Highly recommend and find lots of guys in my area run them, since its local.

Edit - Wrote Ti saddle not seatpost, though use both
    Last edited by vtskibum; 08-09-2013 at 06:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Double post from phone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    I'm watching and waiting for someone to weigh in on Ti seatposts, especially with layback.
    I'm 53 and have been riding a Ti hardtail with a Ti layback post. Eriksen and Black Sheep make the best in my opinion. I've ridden both for about 6 years over some really rocky stuff every ride.

You will get a nice, smooth ride out of the Ti. Even if you end up not liking it ( which I doubt ), you'll have no problem unloading it.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A Moots Ti with 20mm setback worked for years on my road bike and now the same with my SLR Ti rail seat on the hard tail. A higher volume tire adds a little more.

mtbr member
    I have the Niner RDO (27.2). Works GREAT. Has noticeable movement and seems to have taken the sting off of my HT. Highly recommend...just not cheap ($200).
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast