Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Seat post question

I currently ride a hardtail and I'm looking at changing my seat post to a Thud Buster to give me a little cushion when I feel I need it. Have any of you used one before, if you have how did you like it? Or did you not like it?

mtbr member
    I used to ride a long travel 26" full suspension bike until I bought a Banshee Paradox which some would consider to be quite stiff. I prefer the Paradox and never rode the FS again. I've never felt the need for a Thudbuster. I always use the widest tires I can fit into the frame and ride them tubeless at low pressure, which provides some cush and lots of traction. I do believe that riding the hardtail has made me a better rider. I get off the seat and ride lighter. I'm in the North East so lots of rocks and roots. Oh, and I'm way over 50.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I had one and my hardtail for awhile. It will not replace the feel of a full suspension rather take the edge off small bumps in the trail (small rocks ,roots ect). I also noticed a small amount of bobing while climbing and if you compress it enough while riding through a ditch it will push you up off the seat when it rebounds not throwing off the bike but enough to know your off the seat. I had the long travel which in now on my wife's bike since she was grumbling about she back getting sore after a ride. New they are a little pricey but I would buy another if I needed it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Stand up. No seriously. You shouldn't be seated at all going downhill and when you are going uphill you are traveling slow enough to easily lift your butt off the saddle at least a little bit before you hit that rock or root.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Thor29

I do stand when riding down hill or over roots and rocks. I didn't ask for any critique of my riding style or lessons on how to ride. I just wanted to know if anyone has used the seatpost and how they did or didn't like it. Thanks for the responses that actually address the question.

mtbr member
    I had the Rock Shox suspension seatpost on my GT Avalanche LE XC race bike back in the early 2000s. It worked well for smoothing out light trail chatter that isnt necessarily worth getting off the seat constantly for, reducing sit-bone and back fatigue for extended rides on a stiff hardtail. I liked it on that stiff aluminum hardtail, though I find my steel hardtail 29er with large volume tires accomplishes almost the same thing so I find it unnecesary now.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I would rather have a dropper post than a suspension post, and I have both on one bike or another. I can unweight my tucchus just slightly as I go over rocks and roots without really sacrificing much effort or control. Now, if I was riding a lot of washboard fireroads for long distances, I might have a different take on the matter, and you may have your own set of unique circumstances that would make it a good choice for you.

The Thudbuster also moves rearward as it compresses which usually takes a little getting used to.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    Stand up. No seriously. You shouldn't be seated at all going downhill and when you are going uphill you are traveling slow enough to easily lift your butt off the saddle at least a little bit before you hit that rock or root.
    Some of the trails that I ride, here in Western NC, if I stood up for every rock or root, I would never sit down. I imagine where the OP is in North Ga, it isn't much different.

Terrain is quite a bit different on the East Coast.
    A lot more trees = a lot more roots.

Been thinking about the thud buster myself.
    I have heard lots of great reviews on it but no personal experience.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    To the OP, consider the Cannondale SAVE seatpost. Solid post, meaning no likages etc., and flexes up to 40mm (4cm). Personally, I'd much rather have that post than a bulky thudbuster, but that is just my opinion.

Good luck in your search.

mtbr member
    Had a long travel version on a GT peace 9r for awhile, interesting effect as someone noted is the bobbing, which gives you feedback on your pedaling form. Actually ends up training you to pedal with proper form. Don't remember why I pulled it off the bike, still have it around and would use it again I think might have been an uncomfortable saddle, WTB Pure V fixed that.

mtbr member
    I used a USE Shok Post for years - perfect for keeping you but on the saddle over trail chatter. They issue with the telescoping types is that they have stiction. The USE had to be rebuilt frequently. I second the hi-flex carbon posts - several companies make them. I am hopefully getting a Niner RDO post for Xmas for my hardtail.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Nice TiGeo. I'm planning on getting two as well, one for me and one for the wife. We've got the same bikes so I gotta hook hers up at the same time. On the fence between the RDO's and the SAVE's. Ritchey's doesn't look bad either, just not very long in 27.2

mtbr member
    Syntace also makes one..apparently nearly identical to the Niner but has a longer warranty (10 years vs. 5 for the Niner).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks TiGeo... another user here just mentioned that in another very similar thread too. Definitely looks nice and worth considering. The only thing that I am not quite stoked about with either of these is that they are zero setback. Kind of leans me towards the SAVE post a little, but that one reportedly can move so much it can give you dead spots in your cadence at times...

Hmmm.

mtbr member
    I have a hard time believing that it would move that much!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I actually read that in a thread on this site. I'll see if I can find it and link it for for everyone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Here it is...hopefully I did the link correctly.

Cannondale Save seat post vs normal carbon seatpost

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i have a thudbuster LT on my Flash 29er. Love it. Allows me to stay seated through a lot of the rough stuff, and really helps with keeping the rear tire planted on climbs. I might also consider a carbon post with some flex, but if you're not a weight weenie and you're not riding super chunky trails, you can't go wrong with a Thudbuster.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I use both LT and ST posts. I like the ST one best. Ya gotta be over 50 to understand.

People who don't like the thudbusters also don't run chain tensioners or guides on their single speeds either. Hmm, not sure why I feel that way..but there is something there..
    lean forward

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Thanks again

All of your replies are helping me a lot with my decision to try one or not. I like the idea of the Save post but don't want to spend $180 and find it's not what I am looking for. I can get the Thud buster for $125 plus shipping which is still a lot not knowing if it gives me what I want. But that is a chance I might have to take just to satisfy my curiosity.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Over50rider,

Not sure if your aware that the thudbuster comes with 3 different elastomers to tailor your weight/comfort which allows you to mix the elastomers or use there settings

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Exact question I was going to post about.

I have a price match on USE XCR Carbon Shokpost and Thudbuster.
    I used the Shokpost before and it was fine....just unsure about making the leap to Thudbuster....bulkier,heavier. I never really noticed stiction with the Shokpost.
    The seatpost is for dire urban potholes.

mtbr member
    To me, the Thudbuster would be weird feeling b/c it moves down and back.

mtbr member
    +50/ RSS/ use one / dig it

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by MunkyNutz View Post
    Exact question I was going to post about.

I have a price match on USE XCR Carbon Shokpost and Thudbuster.
    I used the Shokpost before and it was fine....just unsure about making the leap to Thudbuster....bulkier,heavier. I never really noticed stiction with the Shokpost.
    The seatpost is for dire urban potholes.
    Do you really think you will notice the little bit of weight difference?

You are talking 1/4 to 1/2 pound depending on which thudbuster you get.

I can get rid of that by taking a dump before I ride.

Seriously, you will never notice that little bit of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    To me, the Thudbuster would be weird feeling b/c it moves down and back.
    It is actually a more natural motion then your standard shock posts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast