Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which Seat?

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Which Seat?

This may not be considered a "29er component", but because other than "General" there is no component section, I decided to post here.
    My current seat (a 2010 Cannondale C3 saddle) is starting to fall apart, and before it is useless I want to buy a new seat.
    I was looking at WTB seats at my LBS, and one has a $90 Silverado Race saddle, and another has a $60 Volt Race saddle. Both of these prices are too high for me, so I looked online.
    Here is my Question:
    Which seat is the best for the money:
    WTB Volt Race Saddle | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Volt Race Saddle $55
    WTB Silverado Comp SE Saddle | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Silverado Comp SE saddle $28
    I like the look and feel of the Volt, but when I compare the price to the Silverado it seems like a no brainer, but I want to know if that Silverado Comp is any good.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    really depends on which one feels better on your butt

But is the Silverado Comp a quality seat?

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    But is the Silverado Comp a quality seat?
    The Silverado is my go to seat, I've run the Pro version for last couple of years on a couple of different bikes after having not so good luck with a few others. Very comfy, for me at least, the weight isn't too bad and they are priced right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wankel View Post
    The Silverado is my go to seat, I've run the Pro version for last couple of years on a couple of different bikes after having not so good luck with a few others. Very comfy, for me at least, the weight isn't too bad and they are priced right.
    Thank you.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member

yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    really depends on which one feels better on your butt
    all depends on "which one feels better on your butt..." personally, I would suggest a LaserV Team try-out maybe a bit pricey, but comfy and well made
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which Seat?-dsc01452.jpg  

Last edited by time229er; 01-20-2014 at 05:46 PM.
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I went through quite a few saddles finding the right one and this is what I found fit me best. Sportourer

I found it at the LBS, didn't break the bank and has been really comfortable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Which Seat?

Saddles are like shoes; some fit and others don't. You'll need to experiment. I like the charge spoon better than the wtb saddles I've tried.

mtbr member
    I don't know, saddles are pretty subjective. No one can recommend one that will work for you. You just have to try a few and see what works for you. I personally don't dump a lot of money on them since my opinion is I will get used to whatever and it will break in some to be more comfy. As I kid I used to ride my BMX bikes with hard plastic no padding saddles and I just got used to it. Spend as much or as little as you want. Typically the higher priced ones will be lighter and possibly less comfortable. This unfortunately has to be a decision you have to make for yourself. Gel saddles tend to go flat and nothing you can do but replace them. I steer away from those myself.
    Last edited by Flash29r; 02-04-2014 at 09:34 PM.
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Which Seat?

A lot of people have told me the Silverado is their go to saddle. I favor the Bontrager Evoke. I've had it on every bike I've owned and never get any saddle sores. Every butt is different though.
    '14 Giant Anthem Adv 29
    '13 Giant Anthem 29
    '13 Trek Superfly 29
    '11 Trek 4300 Disc

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Another for the Charge Spoon. Nice and cheap but so compfy for my butt.

As for the Sportourer, I don't like the design, and for the Evoke, I have three of those already. They are not nearly as nice as my Cannondale C3 saddle.
    I found a WTB Volt at a LBS, but it was too pricey ($60), so I looked online and found the Silverado.
    I have not bought a saddle yet, but I think the Silverado is the one for me.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I recently put a WTB Pure V on my bike. Really impressed so far, It's the first new saddle I have used that I don't notice while using. it's a little on the larger side but I haven't had any problem with it getting caught on drops and jumps. Saddles are really personal, there's a good chance you'd hate this one. If you are unsure then buy the cheaper one.

mtbr member
    Favorite seat for mtb is WTB Shadow, seconded by Silverado.

I like the narrow profile...makes it easy to get behind the seat (no dropper here).

Prefer the Shadow for the slightly shorter nose...

SPP
    Rigid.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    I recently put a WTB Pure V on my bike. Really impressed so far, It's the first new saddle I have used that I don't notice while using. it's a little on the larger side but I haven't had any problem with it getting caught on drops and jumps. Saddles are really personal, there's a good chance you'd hate this one. If you are unsure then buy the cheaper one.
    That is what I just did.
    CRC has free shipping this week.

Forth Eorlingas!

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    This may not be considered a "29er component", but because other than "General" there is no component section, I decided to post here.
    My current seat (a 2010 Cannondale C3 saddle) is starting to fall apart, and before it is useless I want to buy a new seat.
    I was looking at WTB seats at my LBS, and one has a $90 Silverado Race saddle, and another has a $60 Volt Race saddle. Both of these prices are too high for me, so I looked online.
    Here is my Question:
    Which seat is the best for the money:
    WTB Volt Race Saddle | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Volt Race Saddle $55
    WTB Silverado Comp SE Saddle | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Silverado Comp SE saddle $28
    I like the look and feel of the Volt, but when I compare the price to the Silverado it seems like a no brainer, but I want to know if that Silverado Comp is any good.
    I would suggest getting a comfortable saddle that is in your price range, and is relatively light weight... if you care about shedding weight.

Can you please suggest what pants might be best for me?

Personally, I hated my Silverado saddle. The shape was just wrong for my tucas. I couldn't sell it fast enough... which is funny because I couldn't buy it fast enough for $10 at a swap meet. My favorite saddle in my quiver is the WTB Laser V DH. I got that at a swap meet in 2001 for $10. It's light, has Ti rails, and is covered with this plasticy stuff like Tolex... the covering they use on old Fender guitar amps. It feels great, and has allows just the right amount of slip to position myself while pedaling over rough stuff.

BTW, WTB has lower rent versions of all of these saddles. You might gain a bit in weight with steel rails, but the comfort should be about the same. Performance Bike (the WalMart of bike shops) seems to always have WTB saddles on sale for cheap. Or, check your local craigslist or swap meets. I pick up saddles at swap meets for super cheap all the time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Another vote for the Pure V and Charge Spoon. Comfy and cheap.

mtbr member
    Went from a Pure V to a Specialized Henge (new bike) and man do I miss it. It was like a couch compared to the Henge although it was around 350g If I recall.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the Performance link, I will consider them for my next WTB Saddle. I paid over $30 more for the same saddle from JensonUSA. Okay, once I saw on the Jenson site that the Pure V was endorsed by Wade Simmons and Thomas Vanderham I stopped price shopping..Although they probably use dropper posts--good ones...

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Thanks for the Performance link, I will consider them for my next WTB Saddle. I paid over $30 more for the same saddle from JensonUSA. Okay, once I saw on the Jenson site that the Pure V was endorsed by Wade Simmons and Thomas Vanderham I stopped price shopping..Although they probably use dropper posts--good ones...
    JensonUSA will also match prices. IMO, way better shop than Performance, but their prices aren't always as good. Thank the Gods for price matching! I'll bet you can go back to Jenson and get the difference back with a price guarantee.

mtbr member
    I've owned several WTB saddles, the Silverado was the WORST feeling of the bunch. Got it for my cross bike and after two rides sent it back (Nashbar's liberal return policy). Caused me great pain on a long ride.

The best for mountain biking is the Pure V in my experience. Firm yet comfy, supportive, durable. I have the race model for the strong cro-mo rails. The cheap Speed V models are quite comfy too if you're looking to save money.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

B.Ike
    another vote for charge spoon. i have 3 of them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Check out SQ LABS saddles Too!

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    JensonUSA will also match prices. IMO, way better shop than Performance, but their prices aren't always as good. Thank the Gods for price matching! I'll bet you can go back to Jenson and get the difference back with a price guarantee.
    Jenson doesn't have the Silverado SE Comp.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    May 2013

WTB Pure V

I have them on both my bikes. They are a little wide but then again so is my ass.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast