mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Schwalbe Tires for climbing the hills

Hello there,

I've started to race this year and my Rapid Robs on my Cube LTD SL 29 are not so cool. Especially in wet condition there's no cohesion. However, they are quite good compared to my older bike tires.

Hans Dampf, Rocket Ron, Nobby Nic, Thunder Burt, Racing Ralph or staying with Rapid Rob.

I would choose 2.35 front (for suspension reasons) and 2.25 rear (to fit the bike frame).I use my XC bike for XC races but in the XC races are many AM parts. As I mentioned in the topic title I want a tire mainly for realiable climbing and for safety on the trail with high speed.Could you recommend me a good option?

mtbr member
    I've personally never used a set of Schwalbe tires I liked. But since you seem stuck on them, a friend of mine swears by the Rocket Rons and the Nobby Nic, although I couldn't tell you what combination he runs, or what conditions he prefers what combination in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I would highly suggest Rocket Rons - they are what I am using now, and are some of the best tires, especially in cornering, that I have used.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    @Cotharyus
    Schwalbe tires are cheaper in the EU concerning price and value, I guess.

@pwalkerttu1
    Rocket Rons are lightweight and snaggy. I also think that RoRo will fill my needs best.

I've seen that new Cube high-end models come with RoRo front and Thunder Burt rear. Why?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by G a r y View Post

I've seen that new Cube high-end models come with RoRo front and Thunder Burt rear. Why?
    Less Weight and Less Rolling Resistance.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thunder Burt isn't worst tire in your described use. And it's light and extremely well rolling when tubular.

Not toughest and thus not optimal for careless throwing in rock gardens.
    Cheers,
    -Mika

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    If you want all round / xc tires then minimum you will want on the rear is the roro. Rara is good but it will be more prone to spinning up on stuff. Thunder burt is a super low rolling resistance tyre with reduced grip as a side effect. It can and will spin up on anything challenging. I use one and it spins up a bit every single time I climb the rock garden but I stick with it cause its faster everywhere else.

Nobby nic is a good starting point for the front if you want grip otherwise use roro there too.