mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Schwalbe Racing Ralph + Easton Haven Carbon = PAIN and SUFFERING

Hi All,

I bought my Easton Haven Carbons a couple of years ago for the Mongolia Bike Challenge; wanted something that could handle the abuse of the training and the race. With the two-year no questions asked policy, they seemed like a great option. And they were great wheels for that purpose, mounted up with Kenda Karmas and Small Block 8s.

This year, I was back to more technical mountain biking, and switched to higher volume tires. Now I'm in a quandary - love the Havens, and love the Schwalbe RR with snakeskin that I've been running - but the two together are a nightmare. Almost impossible to unseat the bead of those tires off the Easton rim.

I know what I'm doing, this isn't a user error situation. The Haven rims have always been harder than normal to get tires on/off. With the Schwalbes, it's another level of suffering. Any tips from others who've got these wheels? And failing that, any other large volume tires that I should try in place of the RRs?

Thanks all,

Ross

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Specialized fast trak control comes to mind. Spech tires are a little looser than schwalbe IME.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Look at Bontrager 29-3 AKA XR3. Similar tread and weight and has thick sidewalls like the snakeskin. Much less costy. I rode one for a rear tire with a ralph on the front all last season problem free. I tried to seat a ralph on my rear rim and couldn't. plus RR weighed 130 grams more than published so I returned it...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have been using Specialized tires on Easton Haven carbons for 2 years now due to cost, weight, ease of mounting. I change tires a lot just for fun and testing. They have several casing thickness and tread choices.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have the alloy Haven 29s which I think have the same UST bead seat and haven't had any problems with a Hans Dampf 2.35 snakeskin other than burping under 18 psi. To pull the tire off I just unseated one of the beads all the way around while leaving the other one seated then used a plastic tire lever to pull the bead over the rim. Could be our rims or tires are slightly different dimensions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How often do you have to do that?
    Sounds like an infrequent short duration problem that soap and irons will help.

mtbr member
    Hmmm. I have had the haven carbons for 3 years and have used RRs, Maxxis Ardent 2.4s, Nobby Nic 2.35s, Spec Captain Controls, Spec Purgatorys, and now, my new ultra-fav Maxxis DHF 2.5s. No trouble setting em up tubeless with any of 'em. Seems like some tires come tight brand new or something, cause I have had trouble with some tires before...I have the big Nobby Nic on back right now and its a little bit squirmy, so I am thinking about a DHR in the back, because I really like how the DHF has a super beefy sidewall. So, my 1st suggestion is DHF front for sure, seconded by the Purg. Still looking for a good rear.
    As a side note, a couple of years ago, I ripped the Ardent off the front when I hit a rut at high speed. I'd chalk that one up to user error, most likely, but it was a rude experience.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Carbon Haven 29s here, 3 seasons on them, using schwalbe (nobby nic & hans dampf) and specialized (purgatory & butcher) and panarcer rampage tires tubeless. I don't use tire levers as a rule and I haven't had any struggles getting these tires on or off by hand, or setting them up tubeless.

Sounds like you know what you're doing, I assume you're starting with the tires mounted opposite the valve stem (so the bead around the stem is the last part to get over the rim), and with the bead(s) in the deeper center channel? A very small amount of dish soap on the bead can also help.