mtbr member

Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29er Tires - Tubeless Ready?

Purchased two tires at my LBS for the premium price of $84.95 each. Mounted each of them to my new wheels, one tire is good, the other has 3 pin holes on the sidewall at the mold parting line (seam line).

The tires mounted easily, only needed to coax the bead a little with my plastic tire lever once right at the end to get the tire to pop onto the rim. I know I didn't cause any damage to the tire as the holes are on the opposite side and half way up the sidewall.

I put Stans in the tire when I mounted it so the sealant is attempting to stop the leak. When I shake the tire to get the sealant to close the hole it works for a few minutes then one or more of the pin holes start leaking again.

Everyone raves about Schwalbe tires, however I'm only batting .500 with these two tires. I understand that a "tubeless ready" tire will require sealant, however I didn't think the sealant would be required to seal holes already in the tire, not just at the bead between the tire and rim.

When I called Schwalbe CS, I was told pinholes in the sidewall is normal for the Racing Ralph because it is a lightweight tire and I should keep working the sealant around until it has a chance to seal the pin holes, otherwise I should use a different sealant (Orange Sealant) or put glitter in the Stans sealant.

I asked if they had a stronger tire and was told the Snake Skin variant has a lower TPI and should not have the same issue. So I guess I bought the wrong tire as I am more interested in making sure the tire holds air than it being super light. Maybe I should inflate the tire with helium .

Funny thing is I had this same problem with a couple Continental X-king tires. There were pin holes in the sidewall that the sealant was having trouble sealing. At that time I was told that since the tire wasn't certified as "tubless" that I had purchased the wrong tire. No big deal as the LBS said they would swap out the tire for a different one. So when I had the LBS order the Racing Ralph tires I assumed I'd be good to go.

So in the end I could have just stuck with the Continental Tires for half the price as they were no more defective than the $85 Tubeless Ready Racing Ralphs. Learn something new every day.
    Last edited by Epic_Dude; 04-26-2013 at 01:42 PM.

The Missing
    May 2007
    Give the Ralphs a spin you will love them, by far my most favorite tire. Sucks about the sidewalls but some sealant should hopefully fix that right up. I have been using the Ralphs for the last three years and love them.

mtbr member
    Pretty common for these tires. Lay on side, shake, repeat, then ride. You will be fine. My experience has been the same but once they finally seal up that weeping will slow and finally stop. The RaRa is one of the lightest fastest tires I have used tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    TL SNAKESKIN is what u should have gotten if you want tubeless no fuss as you LBS said. That being a few dabs of superglue on the seams where it is bubbling will seal her.

Ps one of my favorite tires.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

mtbr member
    May 2012

Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29er Tires - Tubeless Ready?

Threads

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My RaRa's are also quite porous and I have the snakeskin version. You really need to work the sealant around, then they will be OK.

Formerly of Kent
    The tires aren't defective, it's your technique.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies, I just didn't know these tires are molded so thin that sealant is required to get them to hold air. After a couple more times of airing them up shaking the sealant around they appear to no longer be leaking.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dude View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I just didn't know these tires are molded so thin that sealant is required to get them to hold air. After a couple more times of airing them up shaking the sealant around they appear to no longer be leaking.
    That's the golden ticket. Shake 'em and bake 'em (lay them flat for several minutes), repeat the shaking and flip 'em to lay flat on the other side until they are all sealed up. This might require three or four or more flips to get it all sealed up. Once they are sealed like that you are good to go. And if you do notice some sidewall leaks in the next few days - take the wheels off, and do the shake and lay flat routine with them again. Not all thin XC race tires require this, buy the 4 Ralphs I have had all did.

mtbr member
    Thanks, after all the shake 'n bake with these tires when first installing, I'm hoping they will not cause me any further headaches out on the trail, particularly when I'm miles from anywhere. Still in process of building up my new 29er so I won't have a chance to test them out for another couple of weeks.