mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Schwalbe Big Apple

I have a 2010 Specialized hardrock and want a street tire. I was looking at the big apple. They come in 29x2.0 or 29x2.35 does anyone know which would be better? Does a 2.35 even fit?

Thanks in advance!

I Ride for Donuts
    Fit depents on your bike. I used the 2.35" BA's for over 5k miles (didn't rotate or I could have gotten more out of them... commuting, dirt road (I live on a dirt road, so quite a bit of dirt use actually), rail trial, some singletrack, and a 500 mile touring trip. They set up easily tubeless and were really, really good tires.
    They are heavy, and slow to roll up to speed, but once you're there, they're fast rolling, and it's glorious plushness...Cadillac.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Recovering couch patato
    If your bike doesn't fit the Big Apple 2.35, it's a hybrid bike at best.
    Strongly prefer the 2.35 for all kinds of riding apart from hour-long climbs. But then I would prefer it on the 20 minutes downhill again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    2.35 for all kinds of riding apart from hour-long climbs. But then I would prefer it on the 20 minutes downhill again.
    So you prefer the 2.00 for all hilly terrain and the 2.35 for the flats?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm just wondering if the 2.35 will fit? The bike came with a 29x2.0 stock knobby tire and it looks close in the rear on the stock tire. I tried posting the same question in the specialized forum. But received no response.

I Ride for Donuts
    My guess is it will fit fine. Measure your clearance, and I'll measure a 2.35 Big Apple for you when I get home. Please hold.........

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I don't have experience with BA's, but before you plunk down $60+, make sure that's what you want. On my 26" town bike, I started with 26x2.2's. But I much prefer 26 x 1.75's (Michelin Country Rock, I think) for speed and just general overall performance. If I were riding strictly smoother pavement, I would call my old Specialized Fat Boy 26x1.25" back on-duty.

I Ride for Donuts
    I measure mine (kind of eyeballed, holding a tape measure across the tire, NOT with calipers) at 2 1/4 inches.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Commuterboy thanks for measuring. I measured the narrowest portion of my frame with a caliper and it was 2.5" . Man 1/8 on each side is close. Not sure what I should do.

mtbr member
    The narrowest point of the frame may or may not be where the widest part of the tire lines up. Does that even make sense? Anyway, a better estimate would be to look where your current tires line up in the frame and then measure the width there. If the clearance ends up being only an 1/8 inch you will likely have some rubbing. I hate it when tires rub the frame.

FWIW, Continental makes some 700c/29 tires that look pretty fat. Event though the 2.3 BA is appealing it may be worth looking elsewhere.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    I just got a second set of wheels and have also been looking at the Big Apples. The biggest diameter Big Apple tire that Schwalbes webpage lists is 28" that's what would be put on a 29er wheel? I don't know if I've seen a 29" Big Apple tire listed anywhere.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    From what I understand the 28x2.35 and also the 28x2.0 is used on a 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandals909 View Post
    From what I understand the 28x2.35 and also the 28x2.0 is used on a 29er
    Yep. It fits on 29er rims.
    You know the poor skills of french people for foreign languages so please be indulgent with me !

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    what tire size you bought?

i just bought a specialized rockhopper 2013 and i want to put a Schwalbe Big Apple too, not sure if i should get 28x2.0 or 28x2.35, dont want the tire to rub anywhere.

also anyone know if this tire comes in a big box or itīs all tight with an elastic? cause i'm from brazil and i plan to buy on amazon.

thanks in advance.