29er for the Soul

SC Superlight 29 and the Fox Float CTD Rear shock - good or bad?

What's the impression of the CTD rear shock? Limited reviews on MTBR aren't enough to get a picture on how this shock does.

I thought I would ask for riders using it on 29ers. I am using the Santa Cruz Superlight 29 as the platform to build up a 29er. The Superlight 29 frame comes with the stock Fox Float CTD rear shock.

I ride rocky trails from time to time and I would classify myself as an XC rider. I ride @170 lbs. with gear.

Your thoughts?

Thanks
    So Cal Rod

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have about 275 miles on my SC Tallboy C with the stock CTD rear shock and compared to my previous RP-23 propedal it is softer/ uses up more travel which at first made it feel mushy in comparison.
    Now the previous bike was a Yeti ASR 26" so I did not have the VPP & that may have some influence but at first I wasn't too fond of the CTD it seemed to soft and if I put an extra 10-15 psi in it seemed to harsh.
    I do use the lock out (climb mode) once and a while on a long smooth climb and seldom find the need for full open like on the RP-23. The next version up from the stock CTD has the 3 mode soft/medium/firm settings (similar to the old propedal options) and I think that would let me put a bit of stiffness to it.

Final opinion it is softer then the old RP-23 but is not into annoying "bob" territory & the smooth ride feels great now that I found the perfect air pressure.