Thread: Save My Shins

mtbr member
    May 2011

Save My Shins

Looking for good, light platform pedals for XC. Will pair them up with Teva Pinner shoes. Bu I would prefer a pedal with spikes or screws that are a bit on the less-sharp side, and won't send me to the ER if I slip. Any suggestions? I was looking at VP Vice, Wellgo R-146, Crankbrothers 5050 XX, Azonic 420's.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The Straitline Defacto pedals are really good- very grippy & tough. I've been on them for 2 years but have never slipped them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydad View Post
    Looking for good, light platform pedals for XC. Will pair them up with Teva Pinner shoes. Bu I would prefer a pedal with spikes or screws that are a bit on the less-sharp side, and won't send me to the ER if I slip. Any suggestions? I was looking at VP Vice, Wellgo R-146, Crankbrothers 5050 XX, Azonic 420's.
    about the only time my feet come off my Azonic 420's is when I un-ass my entire body off the bike onto the trail, lol, and this is just with running shoes, nothing fancy.

J-

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I know the Azonics are grippy..but if I DO slip, how bad are they gonna cut me? That's what I'm lookin' for. Something that grips but won't shred. And that is light, looks cool, and is under $100. I am kinda intrigued by those Wellgo R146's. They almost look like clip-ins.

BBB STYLEE
    Get shin guards.

Then you can run an awesome, super tacky feeling pedal w/ out the shin blasters.
    Im referred to as a BBBM. Big Beautiful Beard Man.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Get clipless pedals!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't know how wild you ride. I would get shin guards if you are really worried.

At the beginning of the year I moved to flat pedals. I was very worried about hurting myself. I have not hurt myself a single time since I started. I don't go into the air much though, and I still haven't learned to bunny hop or anything. But I ride fast on the downhills, and always feel comfortable.

P.S. I also bought the Teva Pinner shoes with HT pedals. I have been very happy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    5 10's with Welgo MG1 Literally have never slipped in 4 yrs and no scars on my shins And I ride pretty hard. If you wear the right shoes you should be fine
    Last edited by dragbike; 09-13-2012 at 08:08 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    CrankBro's 5050 XX just went on sale on Amazon.com for 54 bucks. I know they have mixed reviews but I like the look, and as an Amazon Prime member I get free shipping and 2 day delivery. So I bought 'em. I will let you know how they look and ride.

Thanks. Out.

BBB STYLEE
    Right on! I've been eyeing them too.
    Im referred to as a BBBM. Big Beautiful Beard Man.

I Ride Bikes
    I'm running the Spank Spike pedals AND POC vpd 2.0 Long Knee Pads to protect my shins and knees.

The POC pads are awesome. They conform to your knees and shins as they warm up. Yet they can still take a hit. It's pretty high tech stuff going on in those pads. I don't even notice them after awhile.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii View Post
    Get clipless pedals!
    +1 and Yogii confirmed for being a gentleman and a scholar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii View Post
    Get clipless pedals!
    +2

Clipless pedals are without a doubt the #1 upgrade I have ever bought for one of my bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    +3 ....

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    +4 clipless is the only way to fly
    I have flats on my trials bike sure makes going back a forth a challange, jumped right off the trials bike once thinking I was clipped in LOL

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would prefer a pedal with spikes or screws that are a bit on the less-sharp side, and won't send me to the ER if I slip. Any suggestions?.
    .Wellgo CNC Platform B124 Flat Pedals | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    The pins on these are a little wider and work for me with trailrunners. Asics are light and have a gel forefoot in some models, which helps with trail pounding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Save My Shins-wellgo.jpg