Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Santa Cruz Tallboy Downtube Protection

18K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  LB412 
#1 ·
Looking to see if anyone has made use of their downward facing bottle cage mount with anything other than a bottle cage... PROTECTION!! Ive seen a few homemade options, however on the Bronson, it ships with a rubber downtube protector. Will this be available for the Tallboy? Any great homemade inventions or mass produced ones?

Motor vehicle Yellow Automotive tire Automotive exterior Fender
Mode of transport Automotive tire Rim Fender Bicycle tire

See less See more
#3 ·
^+1
I have one on a TB LTc, and another on a BLTc. He has a solid product. It may be made at his home, but its fit and feel isn't that of someone's wknd hackjob. Try it; you'll like it! :D

#26 ·
Yeah it was kind of a freak hit. Riding down a chunder, baby head section, the rider in front of me set in motion a loose roller. I was able to get my front wheel around it but still had to track relatively straight and keep my line. At first the rock hit the plate about three inches up in the BB area, but then the offending loose rock got wedged against a larger stationary object and before I could get my back wheel over it and BAM!-I slammed into it hard, those dents are from the linkage on the drive side, so there goes the theory of the bash guard protecting that. It was a horrible sound and I almost went over the bars just because of the instant scrub in speed, it was harsh! Anyway, that plate was just the standard one, Ill probably upgrade to the Ultra-Duty for the replacement. I just got a Ultra on my Bronson and it does seem lighter and more form fitting. I think the lower down tube AND the linkage should be protected on a TB, as I have many little gouges and skid marks at the end of the plate. A bash guard really doesn’t protect the lower linkage, especially on the non-drive side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.