Thread: Saddle question

mtbr member
    May 2015

Saddle question

Noob to mtg biking, getting back to biking after about 15 years break. Currently riding starter 2013 Trek Marlin with stock Bontrager Evoke 1 saddle. for some reason my a** can't get used to it. I do have bike shorts and after about 45min+ or so i can feel it. I am 5'11"-195lbs...what you guys, my size, ride for a saddle and/or any hints, tips etc.

Thanx in advance

Greg

Short-Change-Hero
    I am about you size and love my Charge Spoon. Have the, on two bikes and have a couple friends I have recommended to. Thing is that saddles are very personal to your sit bones, see if your LBS has a demo program from WTB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Demo program or the a** measuring device (yes, it's an actual thing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMbZ2Q8VqOo

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I personally believe it is all about 'time in the saddle'. Work you way up (time wise) as to not bruise your butt, because once you do, you ARE going to be sore a while and most likely NOT riding until healed. Once your butt IS acclimated to the saddle, pretty much any decent saddle works for me. I'm same height (with extra) weight, bent the rails (OTB / crash) on my stock Giant saddle.
    I seen a lot of good things here about the 'Charge Spoon' saddle so I tried it and love it.
    don't tell me, "Show Me " !

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
    Noob to mtg biking, getting back to biking after about 15 years break. Currently riding starter 2013 Trek Marlin with stock Bontrager Evoke 1 saddle. for some reason my a** can't get used to it. I do have bike shorts and after about 45min+ or so i can feel it. I am 5'11"-195lbs...what you guys, my size, ride for a saddle and/or any hints, tips etc.

Thanx in advance

Greg
    Hi Greg

I was in exactly the same position two years ago and had a seat that was killing me! So painful and my junk would fall asleep after about 20-30 minutes in the saddle. No amount of time in the saddle would get me 'used to it' as the seat simply didn't fit me. Following advice on here I went to my local Specialized bike shop and they measured my sit bones and recommended a 143mm Specialized Henge which has been perfect. My old saddle was 130mm and was digging into my soft tissue causing the pain and discomfort. I have since ridden other Bontrager seats that have also been fine as they were 140mm vs the 130mm my first seat was. So my advice is find a LBS that can measure your sit bones and try a range of seats to find the right fit. The other good thing about Specialized is that they gave a 90 day trial period which is great as better seats are not cheap. However if you get the right seat you should know within 1 to 2 decent rides.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Kiwi

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Had a stock issue seat that i just could not get used to . . . rode it anyway. Constantly fighting the pain. Pieced together a new bike and went with a Charge Spoon based on reading as much as possible and being willing to gamble ($20). Instant comfort FWIW

mtbr member
    May 2015
    WHAAAAA??? they have a** measure device??? wow! i will check with local bike shop if they have one. You guys are AWESOME! thanx all!

Greg G

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I have a 2015 Trek Marlin, and didn't like the saddle (joining that club). I bought a $20. Avenir saddle from Amazon that to me is much better. I am lighter than you, probably 150. You might check the reviews on that saddle.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks guys for the great info. I decided to go with Charge Spoon - ordered one last night.

Thanx again,

Greg