Thread: Saddle

mtbr member

Saddle

Hey guys, I'm new to the community. I just picked up a 2013 Mamba yesterday at the local Trek Shop. I'm going for my first ride Saturday morning but I've already done a little riding around the house to get use to the bike, and I know for a fact I HAVE to get a new saddle. This one is garbage. Completely terrible. But, being new, I don't know what kind of saddle is best. The bike will be used for trails, and some road riding. More on the trail side.

mtbr member
    The best bet is to go to your LBS and try out some different saddles. They may be able to measure you also to ensure a better fit.
    Just because you can't hear them scream doesn't mean they don't. Save a plant, eat meat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    How "new" are you to the sport? Just to mountain biking or haven't been on a bike in years? While the saddle isn't the greatest on the Mamba, your body could just not be "used" to sitting on a saddle. Try riding shorts if you haven't already. just my $.02.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Just make sure it is a 29"er specific saddle - it makes a difference. Enjoy!
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

AOK
    mtbr member
    Pirate gives good advice... Try some other saddles at the LBS or on friend's bikes. It is really hard for others to recommend saddles as what works for one person may be a torture device for you.

I had a friend who went through 3-4 different saddles before he found one he liked. One of the ones he absolutely hated was my favorite that I have been riding on for years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Just make sure it is a 29"er specific saddle - it makes a difference. Enjoy!
    I'm running a 26er saddle on my 29er and it's "just ok".

mtbr member
    I agree with the first 2 posts. After my first ride on my commuter bike a few years ago I was in pain about 2 days later after just a short ride. After a few more and getting used to it I could ride anywhere in the city no problem.

I have the same saddle (I believe) that came on my Cobia. I haven't had an problem, except I'm currently looking to ditch the white.

Do you think I could get away with a 650b saddle on my 29er?
    2012 Trek Cobia
    1992 Trek Multi-Track 750

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    As above on the first 2 posts. Shape is more important than padding. If you do find it necessary to change the saddle you may want to concentrate on a different shape than the oem saddle you're replacing. Also, adjusting the fore and aft position by just a few millimetres can make a huge difference in feel and power output. Try starting with the saddle level and in the middle of the rails as a point of reference and make small adjustments from that point. Good luck.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    May need to toughen your butt like the others said. However, if the saddle is not for you I am interested in purchasing it. I sent you an email.

I'd rather be riding
    I like the factory bonty saddles. I even run one on my cross bike because it just works.