Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rubena Scylla Tires

Does anyone have any experience with these tires? Weight is advertised at 540 Gr and they look like a mix between an Aspen and an Icon. Just wondering...

Harmonius Wrench
    Just recently heard about these. It's a Czech brand. Just getting some marketing cranked up here in North America to get the word out. I don't even know who their distributor is.

They do look interesting. They have tubeless ready variants and claim high volume.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Just recently heard about these. It's a Czech brand. Just getting some marketing cranked up here in North America to get the word out. I don't even know who their distributor is.

They do look interesting. They have tubeless ready variants and claim high volume.

PromoLogic was handling Rubena 4-5 years ago. The (26") tires were good, if "small" in their nominal sizing.

The Scylla tread worked well. No 29" models at the time.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Rubena in the US and in 29'r!

I work for the distributor for Rubena in the US. We have both the Scylla and the Kratos in 29x2.25, Tubeless and what they call Racing Pro. The Tubeless version is compatible for tubed setups, conversions such as Stans and also UST setups. The Racing Pro is compatible with tubed and conversion setups.

It's true that we're just starting to get the word out about these tires. All of the shop feedback I've been getting has been very positive. The tires are light, they have a 127tpi casing while still having reinforced sidewalls, they hook up really well and have a pretty low rolling resistance.

If you have an interest in picking some of these tires up, encourage your LBS to contact Cyclone Bicycle Supply. If anyone has any questions please post up, I'll find out what you need.

Thanks.

Matt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lug.junkie View Post
    I work for the distributor for Rubena in the US. We have both the Scylla and the Kratos in 29x2.25, Tubeless and what they call Racing Pro. The Tubeless version is compatible for tubed setups, conversions such as Stans and also UST setups. The Racing Pro is compatible with tubed and conversion setups.

It's true that we're just starting to get the word out about these tires. All of the shop feedback I've been getting has been very positive. The tires are light, they have a 127tpi casing while still having reinforced sidewalls, they hook up really well and have a pretty low rolling resistance.

If you have an interest in picking some of these tires up, encourage your LBS to contact Cyclone Bicycle Supply. If anyone has any questions please post up, I'll find out what you need.

Thanks.

Matt
    29x2.25 @ 540 Gr?

You really need to make a page that displays all of the different models and shows tread patterns. The mfg website is horrible to navigate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Rubena USA website and other sundries...

Xeno, Rubena USA is in the process of putting a site together. It won't be up for a little bit, but expect one that's easily navigated and well thought out.

About the weight on the Scylla, yeah, 540g, they're the real deal. Wait for more options to come out in time for next Spring too. Dual compound tires, wider ranges and 57.8% more awesome. You're going to hear a lot about this brand over the next year.

-Matt

mtbr member
    Sounds like a great tire.

I ended up purchasing Vulpines last night... after many hours of searching..

There aren't enough good 2.1+ street duty/hardpack tires around the 500g area for 29ers and that tread pattern looks like it'll roll relatively well...

mtbr member
    Whats the retail pricing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post
    Sounds like a great tire.

I ended up purchasing Vulpines last night... after many hours of searching..

There aren't enough good 2.1+ street duty/hardpack tires around the 500g area for 29ers and that tread pattern looks like it'll roll relatively well...

One problem, Vulpines are over 600 grams. Apparently more research was needed

Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    Agreed. Also a confirmation of the size and weight would be nice. Can we see a pic of the actual tires instead of just a CGG? Any sidewall protection versions available or coming?
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Saw these in person at a bike shop in Dallas, TX. They look pretty interesting. They were on the shop owner's bike and he says he really likes them. I'm thinking about trying a set of these when my current tires need replacing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    They're about $64.95 retail. Sorry I took a little while to answer you. Thanks.

-Matt

tl1
    Bicyclist

Ouch

They're about $64.95 retail. Sorry I took a little while to answer you. Thanks.

-Matt
    That's ridiculous amount of money for a tire.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    That's ridiculous amount of money for a tire.
    I'd disagree with you on that. Schwalbe tires in the same style range retail for about $80, same for similar Maxxis tires. Kenda come sort of close but don't really have the features the Rubenas offer. As hard as it is to accept, rubber prices have increased about 35% coming from Asia and this is the price you'll see for mountain tires on the top end of performance characteristics.

My background is mostly urban and road cycling, so I'm familiar with the high cost of rubber. Hell, I paid $55 or $60 for Conti Grand Prix in the late '90's. I think mountain tires have taken a lot longer to see the effects of material and manufacturing cost increases but I'm pretty sure they're here to stay. Sorry you think they're ridiculously priced.

-Matt

tl1
    Bicyclist

You can rationalize it anyway you want

I'd disagree with you on that. Schwalbe tires in the same style range retail for about $80, same for similar Maxxis tires. Kenda come sort of close but don't really have the features the Rubenas offer. As hard as it is to accept, rubber prices have increased about 35% coming from Asia and this is the price you'll see for mountain tires on the top end of performance characteristics.

My background is mostly urban and road cycling, so I'm familiar with the high cost of rubber. Hell, I paid $55 or $60 for Conti Grand Prix in the late '90's. I think mountain tires have taken a lot longer to see the effects of material and manufacturing cost increases but I'm pretty sure they're here to stay. Sorry you think they're ridiculously priced.

-Matt

I know rubber has gone up in price but $65 is still far too much for me to spend on one bicycle tire. I wouldn't even bother paying for $50 tires. It's one of the top reasons I have bought older model Geax Saguaro tires lately. They're very reasonable as you can find them for under $40, they work great for me, they wear like iron and you're buying really good tires not marketing hype and race day Euro fashion and mystique. It's really hard for me to buy the currency differences too when most tires are made in China or other low cost areas like Indonesia. All of which shouldn't imply that you shouldn't choose to use your own resources to buy the spendiest of tires in any way you see fit, just leave me out of it thanks.

mtbr member
    Tires are the only thing that keeps my wheels glued to the ground. If I have to spend $$$ on a tire so I know it will stick and then break predictably when I throw the bike into corners it's well worth the extra $20/30/40 over a cheaper, longer wearing tire.

Each to their own but I have to agree with lug.junkie: $65 for decent rubber (assuming these tires are decent rubber) is pretty fair IMO.

If they have as much grip as mud wrestlers then it's a different story !!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks TL1 and Driver Bob. Both you have valid and real world points.

TL1, if you'd rather spend less on tires than what these cost, that's fine, I have no problem with that. What I am a little disappointed about is this thread starting as a question about the tire, its availability and performance, and suddenly having been dismissed as "ridiculous" due to your personal perception about the price. Not really fair for a product you've never used and never seen. Nor is the assertation that the tires are based in "marketing hype and race day Euro fashion and mystique". Discussing the pros and cons of a product in these forums are all well and good, but you're not adding anything constructive to the conversation.

Driver Bob, I'm in the same boat as you, I'll pay for rubber when it does the best job for the situations where I use it. If you want to see the Rubena tires in person let me know and I'll direct you to the closest place.

Thanks.

-Matt

Bike Snob

TL1, if you'd rather spend less on tires than what these cost, that's fine, I have no problem with that. What I am a little disappointed about is this thread starting as a question about the tire, its availability and performance, and suddenly having been dismissed as "ridiculous" due to your personal perception about the price. Not really fair for a product you've never used and never seen. Nor is the assertation that the tires are based in "marketing hype and race day Euro fashion and mystique". Discussing the pros and cons of a product in these forums are all well and good, but you're not adding anything constructive to the conversation.

Driver Bob, I'm in the same boat as you, I'll pay for rubber when it does the best job for the situations where I use it. If you want to see the Rubena tires in person let me know and I'll direct you to the closest place.

Thanks.

-Matt
    Matt, How about I do some real world SS testing on those bad boys for you. I live in So Utah so I can put them through the ringer in a year on really varied terrain.

PM me if you want my shipping address.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    Matt, How about I do some real world SS testing on those bad boys for you. I live in So Utah so I can put them through the ringer in a year on really varied terrain.

PM me if you want my shipping address.
    Let me think about that. I have 4 more posts after this one before the site will let me PM anyone, so you'll have to wait at least that long.

I hate that name.
    The price is in line with other high end tires, no worries there. Agree with above- I'd like to see real pics. Also, I can't seem to find the Kratos on the website.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

tl1
    Bicyclist

I was probably kinda harsh

Thanks.

-Matt
    Didn't mean to come off that way or in any way diminish those that enjoy spending that kind of money on their passion. It won't be me doing it though. I should have said "That's ridiculous amount of money for a tire (for me)". My Geax Sags are the best tire I've found for my kind of trail riding and make me happy everytime I ride them.

Big Boy
    Prices are high because we will pay it. Not because of rubber prices. I buy tires for my car that cost $70 each. and the schwalbe's on my bike are $75 each. The problem with cyclist is that we think we need or want things and will pay whatever to get them. (im guilty too). for instance: im a recreational trail rider that rides for fun and fitness. I dont need the weight savings of x0 drive over x9 or carbon bars and thomson masterpiece post, but do i want it...hell yeah. I can afford it and i want it so i buy it. Do i know its all overpriced...hell yeah.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    Prices are high because we will pay it. Not because of rubber prices. I buy tires for my car that cost $70 each. and the schwalbe's on my bike are $75 each.
    The economies of scale are completely different for cars vs bicycles.

empty beer member
    At least when my car tires are bald I can still ride my bike .

Which shop in the Dallas area will be able to get these for me?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    GT, I think I hear what your saying,the guy selling bike tires and the guy selling car tires each have to pay the same for a gallon of milk or gas. I think Tex is right we are getting riped off becuse we let it go on and on becuse of our wants.. I loved the schwalbe rr but they have crossed the line with me I will most likely never buy another one of there tires.. so if your saying that the scale is differnt then please explain why a bike tire cost the same as our car tires. I'm not to smart, I'm problythedumstturdinthepenut

lug.junkie, I like the looks of your tire and it loks like it's going to cost less than the RR I was running on the rear I think that tire msrp is about $100 I got 5 24 hr races and about 150miles of riding out of it and I would not have used it at the last race had I know how bad that tire was (thin). 540g & 70$ isn't bad and also we would like 2.0 470grams. Your tire does look like the Max Aspen I have them on the front of my bikes and live in the mid north

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by idinomac View Post
    GT, I think I hear what your saying,the guy selling bike tires and the guy selling car tires each have to pay the same for a gallon of milk or gas. I think Tex is right we are getting riped off becuse we let it go on and on becuse of our wants.. I loved the schwalbe rr but they have crossed the line with me I will most likely never buy another one of there tires.. so if your saying that the scale is differnt then please explain why a bike tire cost the same as our car tires. I'm not to smart, I'm problythedumstturdinthepenut
    The amount of car tires produced makes what numbers in bicycle tires produced look like a handful of bicycle tires next to a mountain of car tires.

The materials cost is obviously a factor with such small production numbers.

Car tires can cost less since the numbers sold support more of the company and pay for the original costs to open molds, etc much more quickly than bicycle tires can.

If bicycle tires, specifically mountain bike tires, were made and sold in far greater numbers you would realize some cost reductions.

Also- Comparing a standard car tire to a high performance, high tech mountain bike tire isn't a fair comparison either. Just from a technical standpoint. Look at the cost of a high tech, high performance car tire and the example changes dramatically.

The whole dollars to dollars comparison becomes a much different story if you consider more than what is skin deep.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast