mtbr member

Roval's weak body hub : swapping cassette would help ?

As probably a lot of you here know several issues have been reported from Roval/DT Swiss hub usesrs about casette's teeth diggin' into the aluminum/ergal body hub and therefore making the cassette removal a bit complicated (and on the long run even more serious problem would arise). I've been suggested to use an XTR cassette ( 180 Euro.....) since this problem is typical when a Sramm cassette is used like Specialized does. Now before dropping 180 Euro I would like to know if this may be truly worth it and if a Shimano cassette (noob question) is compatible with all SRAM ( except XTR chain already)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    They are just marks, once the cassette digs in a bit, it stops, it does not continue until it rips through. Yes, the cassette is a pain to remove, so use a wooden dowel with a hammer and gently smack the cassette from the back, near the hub body, at the North, South, East, and West positions until it pops off. If you do your own work, you get used to it. If you don't do your own work, it is not your problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    XT cassette also has a carrier for the larger cogs. It doesn't dig in. The price is much more reasonable and it works with a Sram derailleur.

mtbr member
    Thank you guys.

Works case scenario : the cassette pushes all the way up through the hub and cut the heck out of it ending in a cassette spinning freely . Picture this ? Can this happen ??

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Not likely. That HiLo hub is not a Dt ratchet hub. It is a Joi-tech but spare freeehubs may be available. It is not something I would build a light quality wheel with. 365g and two pawls and spring. It does not have star ratchets. 340,350, 240 do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Not likely. That HiLo hub is not a Dt ratchet hub. It is a Joi-tech but spare freeehubs may be available. It is not something I would build a light quality wheel with. 365g and two pawls and spring. It does not have star ratchets. 340,350, 240 do.
    Not a HiLo,it's a 240 and it does have the DT star ratchet. Again wheels are Roval Control SL 142+ carbon wheels.

mtbr member
    Just use a cassette with a spider carrier and you won't have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Not a HiLo,it's a 240 and it does have the DT star ratchet. Again wheels are Roval Control SL 142+ carbon wheels.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Thought it may be useful to post a couple of pics :

First one are my OEM Rovals,6 months of use,the cassette was stuck and needed a couple of mop covered hammer hits,no big deal. The second pic is rather scary,it's my brand new Roval Control SL wheels USE FOR A 5 MINUTES SPIN ( !!!) around the house...really makes me go WTF. Ok cassette with a spyder carrier. Any help for this one ? XT ? XTR ? XX ? Currently using SRAM PG 1050.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roval's weak body hub : swapping cassette would help ?-roval-1.jpg  

Roval's weak body hub : swapping cassette would help ?-roval-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I build my own wheels on dt swiss rear hubs 36 star ratchets and I only use XT cassettes. That problem is not a problem. I use the cassette to pop the freehub for easy service. Should be the same on the SLs.

Is that Bill rated?
    It is still an issue on the fifteen tooth cog, at least on the nine speed Shimano XT cassettes. I have also seen several cut right through the splines, but not often.
    Well, it was a good try.