Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Roval Control SL 29 Failure

Received my new 2014 Epic S-Works Dec 5th, and on the 24th I noticed the front rim deformed.
    After going back and forth with my Spec dealer for a week finally received a reply from Spec that I had to buy a new rim because the damage was caused by heat from my car's exhaust.
    Yes, I verified the position of my bike on the hitch mount rack and front rim was directly in line with the exhaust pipe and about 20" away.
    With my old Moots & Mavic rims I never had a problem for 6+ years with this set-up.
    The thought never crossed my mind, but Spec says that it is common knowledge and I should have known
    No warning regarding the exhaust pipe heat on the Roval Wheels Instructions Guide available online for the Epic S-Works web page.
    Am I an Idiot ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The tire was intact still? I melted a tire on a 4 hour trip but the rim was fine. Newbie mistake on my part.

GMM
    mtbr member
    I'm not sure it's common knowledge, but people are certainly becoming more aware. Enve now has this info prominently displayed on its web page. I just learned about it recently.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by frangaly View Post
    Am I an Idiot ?

No but I bet you won't be "less smart" next time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The tire is intact and the wheel holds air. I am just afraid to ride it !
    Roval Control SL 29 Failure-rovaldamage.jpg

mtbr member
    Even if the instructions said something, would you have really read them?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I only did it once - fortunately I only bubbled the side wall of a new LUST tyre in the process. Previous non UST had never given an issue.

Surprising that your tire hasn't bubbled given the clear issue with the rim?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Live and learn. It's not their fault. You can save a little money and buy a rim from light bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    A good manufacturer should warranty that and hell NO I wouldn't ride it either. At the very least spesh should give you a crash replacement price on a new hoop. Even if you had to pay shipping and pay for the build you could be back in the saddle soon for a few hundred bucks.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SJDude View Post
    A good manufacturer should warranty that and hell NO I wouldn't ride it either. At the very least spesh should give you a crash replacement price on a new hoop. Even if you had to pay shipping and pay for the build you could be back in the saddle soon for a few hundred bucks.

It is not a warranty issue. A "good" company treats their customers fairly, not burdening other customers with the cost of giveaways.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SJDude View Post
    Why in the world would this be in any way Specialized's fault?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Agree

To the OP expect a letter from their "Law Team" soon..........

;-0

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for all the opinions. For, against, and neutral !

Believe it or not, as soon as I got home with my new bike, I downloaded all the manuals and went through the Torque Matrix (I have read that proper torque is crucial for carbon frames) and the Roval Wheels Instructions Guide. For the wheels I was looking for the gage and length of the spokes so I could buy a few spares given I live in Panama and I could never find locally a spare.

I have never owned a carbon bike or wheels. Given specialized knew of the potential problem, and I spent about $10K on a bike, I feel a verbal or printed warning would have been the right thing to do.

Am I right to assume that most bikes are transported in back mounted racks ?

I'll take this as the cost of learning

Thanks to all !!!

mtbr member
    I don't think it's common knowledge that the exhaust will ruin a tyre, let alone a carbon wheel. Have a trawl through this site and see how many instances of wheel failures like this you can find. This is the first that I know of.

It would be much better if Specialized warned people of this. And keep posting your story and picture on various sites so others become aware of the issue.

Tim

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by frangaly View Post
    I would guess maybe 5% if that.
    Sorry for your mishap get a LB rim and be done with it
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just finished building my '14 S-Works Tarmac, and the Roval Rapide CLX wheelset that I installed on the bike included a warning label regarding vehicle exhaust and the carbon rims. I will go through all the packaging and see if I can find it somewhere. I do think it's something that road cyclists are more aware of, because the use of carbon rims/wheels has been more common on road bikes for a while now.

mtbr member
    I use a rear mount, but it is not one the bikes hang from, but rather a miniature roof rack if you will that mounts in the hitch. My wheels are no where near the exhaust and sit above it actually. I have carbon wheels on both my mtn and my road bike. Not something i ever gave thought to, but not an issue with my rack.
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I don't think this is common knowledge. Of course, if you ask someone if they think hot exhaust gases might harm a carbon fiber rim, they would say yes. But lots of people use hitch racks and most of them have been using aluminum rims and haven't been having any problems. I have a buddy who just bought a new bike with CF rims that he transports on a hitch mount, and I'm sure he's not thought about this. So as often happens with new technology, we need to adapt our habits - and education about this is really useful! Personally, I think Specialized should replace the rim at low cost because it is not "common knowledge" and they have not clearly warned about this damage, but obviously it is not a manufacturing defect so they would be doing this as a gesture of good will (and because they didn't warn about this issue).

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Kudos for ford,, side exit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I agree if it was not clearly marked they should at least do a crash replacement. I broke my frame on my bike but I had had it painted which voided the warranty, that's totally on me for not reading the whole warranty, anyway the bike company gave me a new frame on crash replacement. I now will stop any custom paint until my warranty runs out. In your case I think they should have done the same thing, I think it says allot a bout a company on how they resolve issues like this. Personally I would have never thought a car exhaust would be hot enough to damage a rim like that, especially since your tire was 20"away. I can hold my hand closer than that on my car and not get burned.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    I don't think it's common knowledge that the exhaust will ruin a tyre, let alone a carbon wheel. Have a trawl through this site and see how many instances of wheel failures like this you can find. This is the first that I know of.

It would be much better if Specialized warned people of this. And keep posting your story and picture on various sites so others become aware of the issue.

Tim
    This is definitely not the first thread on this.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    Personally I would have never thought a car exhaust would be hot enough to damage a rim like that, especially since your tire was 20"away. I can hold my hand closer than that on my car and not get burned.
    Automotive exhaust is very hot, and if you hold your hand next to the exhaust when the engine is running at load you will definitely be burned. You must have been holding your hand next to the exhaust while the engine was idling or the muffler was still cold.

I think that it is fairly obvious that you shouldn't have any part of your bike near the exhaust of your car. However, I can totally see myself overlooking this and making the same mistake. I think that Specialized should offer a discounted crash-replacement rim in this case. This rim failure was definitely not caused by a defect, so Specialized isn't obligated to replace it under warranty although it would be cool if they did.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    http://www.enve.com/cache/DOC246_ENV...20130612120012

"Placing a carbon rim too close to the exhaust may result in softening of the resins which can irreparably damage the rim. "

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by frangaly
    Quote Originally Posted by PauLCa916 View Post
    I would guess maybe 5% if that...
    Really?!? 5% of bikes transported by hitch racks?
    Not sure where you live, but around here it's like 75%

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Totally agree, OP has no one else to blame.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast