mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Roval Carbon Wheelset or built up Stans?

Alright, what do you guys think?

New Carbon Roval wheelset for $1050 or Stan's Arch built up with Hope's? Will be running tubeless.

I have a 2012 Camber Comp and do mostly XC/Trail riding.

Thanks for your opinions and input!

AOK
    mtbr member

Roval all the way if it is the model with the DT made hubs and DT hub internals. They are great wheels.

Where are you seeing them for $1050?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Asked the shop where I bought my bike for a discount. Retail is $1200.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I would consider Stan's Crest rims with DT 240 hubs instead of Arch rims and Hope hubs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Roval all the way if it is the model with the DT made hubs and DT hub internals. They are great wheels.

When I looked into these, I contact DTSwiss directly, only the rear is DTswiss internals. I couldn't get more from them, but he said in the email for the Rovals it was specialized speced so what does that mean? who knows.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    When I looked into these, I contact DTSwiss directly, only the rear is DTswiss internals. I couldn't get more from them, but he said in the email for the Rovals it was specialized speced so what does that mean? who knows.
    Maybe it means that dt Swiss made it...but the hub was branded under specialized name...and technically considered a specialized hub. They might want you to contact specialized for more info or servicing questions? I dunno.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    Maybe it means that dt Swiss made it...but the hub was branded under specialized name...and technically considered a specialized hub. They might want you to contact specialized for more info or servicing questions? I dunno.
    I know the hubs aren't DTSwiss, there no question on that. Question is, Specialize advertises DT350 internals, yet DTSwiss tell me they make them to Specialized Specs. Could be a lower or higher spec. As much as I wanted carbon wheelset, I ended up with Hope 2 Evo 36h with Flow EX.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

AOK
    mtbr member

I can't speak for the hub shells, but the Roval rear hub internals are exactly the same as my DT 240s hubs.

Always Learning
    I can't speak for the hub shells, but the Roval rear hub internals are exactly the same as my DT 240s hubs.
    Yup.

I assume, haven't checked closely, that you can use the DT Swiss freehub body to convert to the SRAM XX1 if so desired. Does anybody know if this is true or not?

AOK
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post

I assume, haven't checked closely, that you can use the DT Swiss freehub body to convert to the SRAM XX1 if so desired. Does anybody know if this is true or not?

99% sure it would work. Just haven't tried it myself. The Roval freehub body is identical and the end caps are interchangeable with DT 240 end caps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Have you ever tried to have bearings replaced on a Roval wheel??? It is apparently a huge nightmare as they are special "one off" bearings that are damn near impossible to get, even through Specialized.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Yup.

Yes, It's true for Roval Control SL wheels which have the 240 internals. I have them and they are getting converted to XX1 with the DT Swiss freehub body as we speak at my LBS. Also the s-works epic SRAM has the same wheels with XX1 already installed.

For the Roval Control Carbon wheels (which is what the OP was asking about), they have DT 350 hubs. They are also compatible with the DT Swiss freehub body as that supports DT Swiss 180 / 190 / 240 / 350.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The rovals also come with the 36 POE star ratchet as well.

I have a few rides on my carbon rovals and love them so far.

AOK
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Duff Man View Post
    Have you ever tried to have bearings replaced on a Roval wheel??? It is apparently a huge nightmare as they are special "one off" bearings that are damn near impossible to get, even through Specialized.....
    I have not, but I would be surprised if this is true for the rear hub with DT internals. These hubs look identical in every way to my DT 240s except for the different outer hub shell.

For the Roval front hub, I could believe this. Also for the lower end non-DT internals Roval rear hubs.

mtbr member
    how much do you weigh? Do you thrash your wheels? I've been on carbon hoops (175lbs, Tallboy carbon, I am hard on my stuff) for the past 8 months and they are amazing. Light, stiff, and so far bombproof.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by joshthedoc1 View Post
    how much do you weigh? Do you thrash your wheels? I've been on carbon hoops (175lbs, Tallboy carbon, I am hard on my stuff) for the past 8 months and they are amazing. Light, stiff, and so far bombproof.
    I weigh 205. The carbon rovals are rated up to 240.

Climbs = necessary evil
    Subscribed to this thread.

I weigh 225 and have been thinking about these too. Finally have enough money, but am looking for some experience on them from larger riders, which is hard to find. I'm riding a set of Stan's Flow EX's right now on the RIP9 and could save nearly a pound with these.

I did see a new set of the Roval Control Carbon Trail SL's ($1700 version with bead hook) locally for $1200, but he said they would only fit Specialized bikes because of the 142+ rear hub, which didn't seem right. I thought all these Spec Carbon wheels could be fit into multiple configurations with hub adapters that came with them, right?

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    The 142+ is the extra width they build in the hub flanges and does not change the hub width at the axles. You would have to readjust the der settings but I have seen folks running them on non Big S bikes. The new Control 29 carbon is a sweet wheelset although the lack of a bead seat/hook is controversial. I have been on 4 sets of high end Rovals through the years and they have been very solid wheels. I have never touched a spoke tension or needed to true them ever. I have one set of the alu that are 3 years old and showing some corrosion at the alloy nips from sealant contact and one alu set that has a two nice dings in the rim edge from rock kisses but it is true as a ruler. The older alu and the SL carbon set is DT Swiss 240 based and has been bomber. The end caps makes it dead easy to swap from bike to bike. All done by hand with a pair of needle nose pliers at most. The new Control 29 Carbons that are priced so nicely are actually one of the stronger wheels they build for 29ers. Very tough. I believe those are 350 based, but are star ratchet 36 point as well.

They also have been very good tubeless with any decent tubeless ready tire although, like a Stan's rim, some tires may not fit due to a tight bead issue. The new tubeless rim strips have been solid too as the Specialized blue tape was pretty awful.

Unless you are a wheel beater and need to rebuild your wheels often, then I cannot imagine not being happy with a nice Roval wheel.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Picked up my new SJ Marathon that has the cheaper Roval carbon wheels. First impression is very good.