old fart
    Mar 2010

Roval 29er Control SL Bearing Replacement

I was changing front pads on my bike when I checked the front wheel bearings and found them notchy and overdue for a replacement.

I have ordered some 6704 bearings as a replacement, but can't find any information online about the procedure to replace the bearings in the wheel.

Is there a method I need to follow? I can't see any fixing so I assume the axle is located from one-side only and so must be driven out from the other side?

Anyone with some BTDT please?

mtbr member
    Am I correct in ASSuming they are loose ball bearings? Youtube is always a great source for how-to-do videos. Also Park Tools is a very helpful resource.

Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog

I like their Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair

Don't drop any bearings

Hank

old fart
    Mar 2010

Btdt

Ok, I've undertaken the replacement.

The axle has a ridge that marries to the internal ID face of each bearing.

1) I used a proper bearing drift that fitted the axle to drive out the RHS bearing first. Drive from the LHS axle end using a soft hammer.

2) After removing the RHS bearing (there is just enough room to remove the bearing as the LH end of the axle will be flush with LHS bearing), I removed the axle from the RHS.

3) I turned the axle around and drove out the LHS bearing from the RHS unsung the drift.

4) Replacement is the reversal of removal, but be sure to use either a drift sized for the OD of the new bearings, or a socket sized correctly. The bearings are VERY small and can be toasted easily if you use the axle to drive the new bearings in as it will bear on the ID of the bearing.

5) The bearings need to be driven home fully, but don't forget to install the axle before you install the RHS bearing.

I used Loctite bearing retaining compound as it looked as though some had been used OEM.

Job done in about 20 minutes.

You don't need a bearing drift, but it makes things a lot easier as it ensures that you don't damage the ends of the axle. You cannot get access to the bearings any other way than by using the axle.
    Last edited by skiwi; 12-05-2012 at 10:58 PM.