Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Rolling the new Brooks Cambium c17 tester saddle

Just got a short first ride in today. New saddle is feeling pretty nice. Not too far from the traditional Leather Brooks feel. The material is very forgiving and moves with the body. Overall very impresed with the first impression.

More to come.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rolling the new Brooks Cambium c17 tester saddle-image.jpg  

High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sweet! How did you get a hold of that? Is it in production?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post
    Sweet! How did you get a hold of that? Is it in production?
    I'm under the assumption that he's one of the lucky riders who applied to the tester program and got "drafted," if you will.

Very interested to hear about the durability of this under nasty conditions; I'm less concerned with how vegan it is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I am one of the lucky few. And I think this is going to be a winner for Brooks. Long term durability should be outstanding.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

mtbr member
    First I've heard about it. What material is it made from? Also will it stretch and form like leather?
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Subscribed. Please keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ronni. The saddle is made out of a vulcanized rubber with a organic cotton top that is bonded to the rubber. I think I can safely say it will not stretch and there is no break in period, but it moves under the riders pedaling circle like the leather saddle does.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Interested in this saddle too. Any chance you could measure its width? Not seen any dimensions for it as yet.

mtbr member
    Hoping this thing works out. Would like to have a Brooks that I wouldn't feel guilty about getting wet and muddy, not that it stops me. Hoping for it to feel similar to a b17 or team pro.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Does it also weigh extra like a typical Brooks? Interested (since I have a saddle buying habit)...

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Need more updates on this

mtbr member
    Mine has been dispatched today in Italy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Neat!

mtbr member
    Saw it at NAHBS. I'll stick to leather.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Spicy. What is your sit bone width? I need something on the wider side.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If it is as comfy and weighs 100g less, I'm interested.

mtbr member
    That was fast. Dispatched at 5.30pm in Italy yesterday, delivered 12.30pm Stuttgart today.
    Mounted up and ready to ride.

mtbr member
    How do the rails compare to the the B17 or Pro? I use Brooks on all my rides, but sometimes I have a problem with the rails being too short and can't get to my ideal position in relation to the BB. Ideally, I would like something in between the B17 and pro; rails of the b17 and the fit of the pro. I love the idea of wet weather resistant Brooks.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    I love the idea of having something vulcanized right under my butt.

mtbr member
    I can't compare it to a leather saddle as I have never ridden nor owned one, sorry. There're for sure people out there who can comment on just that and specifically on the B vs. the C.

As for me I have almost always had a Selle Italia SLR Trans Am (narrow but still soft). That is for I never really put any attention in comfort and second once the rails broke on my first Selle Italia (which was my fault) they replaced it with a brand new one, which I think was great.

Building up my new Fat Bike I new I had to get something wider and more comfortable. At first I had ordered a Gilles Berthoud but had been shipped the wrong, mislabeled model, which I send back. Couple days later I received the mailer from Brooks advertising the Cambium which I ordered instantly.

-

To get to the point, I just came back from an 2 hours ride and wow, this saddle is awesome!
    Yes, you get the described hammock feel mentioned and why I like it especially is that it's really suspending very well. I rode some rocky and root trails which usually forced me to get off the saddle but the Cambium doesn't really. For the hardtail I ride now this is very nice.

Might be that a leather saddle fits better over time as it breaks in just where the sit bones are but that I cannot tell.

I'll put some more miles on the saddle over the weekend and report back.

My sit bones are spaced 14cm apart, the rail has an usable 75mm space of clamping.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Now that you have had it a while can you give any further updates please as I am very interested in this saddle.
    Cheers
    MAS

mtbr member
    Has anyone else heard that Brooks will be offering this saddle with the imperial cutout as well? I think it is tentatively named the Cambium Climax. The news came out with the Oct Brooks Despatch. Anyone seen it yet?
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ok Mas. Sorry it's been awhile...(been skiing. Anyway this bike season for the CO Rockies consisted of a lot of rain and mud. For that one good reason it was a great year to straddle this saddle. First off it was very nice to treat this Brooks like all other non leather saddles not rubbing lotion on washin and drying every ride. As far as style points go. It still retains the Brooks look of tradition but in a new style of itself. The rubber has not lost any of its suppleness. I will try to ride the bike this winter to see if the cold temps affect it at all. One crevat that bothered me was when riding with spandex the cotton on top of the saddle grabbed the shorts. There was no sliding on the seat to fine tune riding position. When in street shorts or pants this was not a problem. Also the seat absorbed the chamois cream from my ass and stained the cotton also giving it a lubed feel.
    Overall it is a very nice seat

Now the $150 question would I buy one or recommend one to buy. For me I probably would not being I don't think my bike riding fits it general purpose. I feel this seat is perfect for commuters, long distance riders bike tourers, mountain bikes and CX bikes. It is a fabulous seat and deserves to be recognized.

And yes the cut out version of this seat is coming. Which I'd like to feel the difference between the two.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29or6to4 View Post
    One crevat that bothered me was when riding with spandex the cotton on top of the saddle grabbed the shorts. There was no sliding on the seat to fine tune riding position. When in street shorts or pants this was not a problem. Also the seat absorbed the chamois cream from my ass and stained the cotton also giving it a lubed feel.
    I gotta say those would be deal breakers for me...

SPP
    Rigid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast