mtbr member
    May 2013

ROCKSHOX XC32 X-Firm Spring

Man, I hope someone can help me. None of my LBS are able to locate a X-firm spring for my XC32 fork (mfg# 11.4015.481.140). Even REI. Has anyone found a place to order one online? I've even asked some of the big online bike component companies and they don't respond. I contacted SRAM directly hoping to get something direct. Nothing. They tell me to go to my LBS. Can this be this hard? I can't live with the medium spring in the fork. I'm 220lbs and it's just too soft. Please don't tell me to but another fork....I have a newborn and I'm trying to work with waht I have. I'm a spring away from a set-up I can work with. Help anyone? Please!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I didn't go the spring route but at 210lbs I put an Argyle damper in my stock XC32 and it drastically changed the fork at our weight. It adds adjustable compression for full soft to lockout. I essentially rode it stiffened up and it worked very well for the money. Less brake dive. Better standing pedaling. Wouldn't blow thru then travel as easy.

Maybe an option for you. Good Luck.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the suggestion _Alberto_! I'll have to look into the damper option since it's the first time I've heard of this. Does this replace the current turnkey lockout function? How easy was that to replace? I'm a mechanical guy so I'm all about doing it if it'll help. I'm excited to find another option out there!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Very easy to put in. IIRC it's 8 clicks of adjustability from full soft to full lock out. It made all the difference for me in that fork. It replaces the lockout lever and internal damper. Last I checked it was on amazon too. Good luck.

Edit-found an old pic of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would call Sram for availability for your part number and ask which bike wholesaler has or can get it. You may even be able to order direct from Sram. If not, have Treefort get it for you if your lbs doesn't order from them.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ok! I finally got the x-firm spring ordered and now installed. I e-mailed SRAM and although they couldn't sell direct, they recommended a couple shops. Thanks Peachtree Bikes! You guys rock! To be honest though, not a huge difference from the medium to x-firm spring.... a little underwhelming! I think I'm going to order the Argyle mc damper Like _Alberto_ suggested and combined with the x-firm spring, I should be good to go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    At least you tried the spring route. I'm sure you will like the damper. Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    How did you pull your spring out??? Mine feels like it is stuck and won't budge. Mine came stock with an x-soft too. Was wondering why I was bottoming out so bad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Once you get the nut removed, you should be able to push down on your handle bars and the spring will come up. If it's caught on something, it might shoot out. Not a bad idea to put a rag or something over the top of the fork just in case.

FYI, if buying the XC32 form a retailer, if you plan on changing out the spring, just look at getting the recon. After you account for the cost of the new spring, the recon is about the same price. Much better fork.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I was at that point. Fork compressed and spring about half way out but I think it is a complete unit and I need to remove the lower screw. Not sure.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    After looking at some other threads I need to remove the lower fork screw and the spring is a complete unit. Not as easy as I had hoped but still pretty easy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think on some of the older ones (Tora)the spring came out separatley, but it does look like the spring/rod is an assembly now. Could probably separate them once it's out, but not easily when it's inside the fork. Where did you get the spring? Whenever I look, they're only occasionally available for $50. Kind of a rip for a spring that should have come with the fork in the first place.

Page 13 of the SRAM parts manual shows the XC32 disassembly.
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/QX..._spc_rev_c.pdf