mtbr member

Rock Shox XC32/29

I have a stupid question, I am looking to get a stiffer spring in my shock. I have the 2012 Trek Mamba. I am using the stock shox. It is the XC32/29. Is this spring compatible with this shock??? Its a single sided 2006+ Tora, 2007+ Recon (fixed 80/100mm, 120mm travel). Will this fit??? Or can somebody guide me to the right direction. I know the part number of the shock that I would need but I just bought the shock in question new off of ebay. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    On the Sram site the 2012 Spare Parts Catalog shows a firm spring/shaft kit(blue) and x-firm(black) for each travel choice 80,100 or 120mm. .
    Your LBS should be able to order it or call Sram.
    Sram-- click service at top-- under RockShox click forks-- click Spare Parts Catalog--page 13-14
    Get the right part number.

Bike Virgin
    Aug 2012
    I tried to order a stiffer spring for my xc32 29er fork and Sram told my shop that they wouldn't have any available until later this month. The part # is different from Tora forks pre 2010, at least for the x-firm. BTW my bike is a 2012 Scott and the new Scotts with this fork are Soloair versions. The non Soloair versions are being sold for almost 50% off. My XC32 TK started leaking after three weeks(two rides).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That is a warranty issue that Sram should take care of. In the meantime keep an eye of the CRC site for another sale on Manitou Tower Pro forks. They were 335 shipped for a couple days recently. At the end of last yearthey also had a $50 off offer that could be applied and brought themdown to 280. I would get a 120mm/15mm version and a 100mm ride kit for versatility.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I can tell you from currently owning a 2012 Mamba dump that fork as soon as you can and get a decent Rockshox Reba solo air or the RLT dual air if you can. No amount of money will make that shock decent. I am 200lbs and was compressing that shock fully in the curves, with the RS Reba RLT dual air I have now it is a night and day difference in the ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
    I can tell you from currently owning a 2012 Mamba dump that fork as soon as you can and get a decent Rockshox Reba solo air or the RLT dual air if you can. No amount of money will make that shock decent. I am 200lbs and was compressing that shock fully in the curves, with the RS Reba RLT dual air I have now it is a night and day difference in the ride.
    Did you replace with a G2 geometry fork or standard? If standard, did you notice any changes in handling?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I went standard, it will speed up the handling since it is effective shortening the wheele base when you go with a non G2 fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
    I went standard, it will speed up the handling since it is effective shortening the wheele base when you go with a non G2 fork.

Did you install it yourself???? Is there a huge difference from the stock fork??? Of course there is, what i mean is what noticeable differences have you noticed?? How should a good fork feel???? What am I missing out on???? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I had a local mechanic install it, I could of handled about 95% of the install other than installing the star nut, it was easier to have him do it plus I had him true the wheels and go thru the deraillures for me as well.

The Reba RLT Dual air was a ngiht and day differance over the stock XC32 that came on the bike. I was bottoming out the stock fork, it was decent for light riding but once you picked up the pace thoughwas where you would see the fork give up. With the RLT it never gave out and alwasy dampened correctly and made the bike alot more sure footed on the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Not to hijack the thread, but I have this same fork and it has started making a clicking noise when compressed. Is this a cause for concern? I am thinking about upgrading to the Reba possibly in the Spring. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim2103 View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but I have this same fork and it has started making a clicking noise when compressed. Is this a cause for concern? I am thinking about upgrading to the Reba possibly in the Spring. Thanks
    Im new to mountain biking and the Trek Mamba is my first bike. I am 240 lbs and have the 21" frame with 29' wheels. I am noticing that the stock XC32 is way too soft for me and do find myself bottoming out often. Just like Tim, I recently started to notice a click as the shock is compressed all the way down. Is this a concern? Does it mean that it's broken or can that be adjusted? Also, it seems like my preload and rebound adjusters don't really do anything in terms of actual feel. It pretty much feels the same regardless of the setting. My rebound adjuster might be broken as it continually spins in one direction for 70 clicks. Are my shocks completely broken or damaged? Can this be fixed? The bike is only a year old so I didn't think anything was wrong with the shock when I bought it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. BTW the bike was purchased used from the original owner. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to be detailed in what's going on.