mtbr member

Rock Shox Reba vs. SID

Looking at these 2 forks for a lightweight XC hardtail build - the Reba RL Solo Air 120; and the SID RC3T Solo Air 120. Both are tapered steerer, and 15QR. I get that the SID has the compression adjust, but that is not a big deal for me, as I never use lockout and don't care about a little bit of bob on a short travel fork. They don't seem to be that much different in weight even though the marketing info says the SID is the lightweight XC fork (and all RS says about the Reba is that bike shops love it as it's easy to service - seems like a back handed compliment if ever I heard one). I can get the Reba for a much better price, so are there any benefits to the SID over the Reba? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The 2012 Reba dual air gave you tuning options RockShox dropped by going solo air.
    The Manitou Tower Pro is in this weight range and is very tuneable.
    If you don't need that the 13 Reba should be ok.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've got the Sid rct3 solo air and actually very impressed. I think the main difference between the Reba and Sid are the models available. According to my wholesale catalog, the Reba is only available as an aftermarket fork in the RL and RLT models. The Sid offers the RL, RLT, xx, rct3, and worldcup models. I don't think you can go wrong with either. A lot of people swear the solo air is a downgrade, but I was able to easily tune it to my liking. No regrets yet.

The rct3, in theory is similar to the fox ctd...climb, trail, descend modes. All 3 settings on the rockshox actually perform well, unlike the ctd. Yes, rockshox kinda dumbed down the 2013 models by going with solo air...but I couldn't tell much real world difference when doing a side by side ride. I guess it comes down to the style of lockout you prefer. Rct3 has a crown mounted lockout, and the other models allow for a bar mounted lockout.

Don't forget about the tower pro. It's another worthy fork to consider. Only real negatives I've heard about it is that it requires a bit of tuning. Especially for heavier riders, which typically need to install a heavier spring. Just my 2 cents. If you have any specific questions about either fork that you can't find online, shoot me a pm and I'll give the sales reps a call and get you any additional info needed. Always willing to help out a fellow rider. Cheers

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. + rep given for that! So, the only difference b/w SID and Reba is the compression tuning available on certain SID models? Do you have weights? Any comparison to Float 120? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    Thanks for the info. + rep given for that! So, the only difference b/w SID and Reba is the compression tuning available on certain SID models? Do you have weights? Any comparison to Float 120? Thanks.
    I'll have to check weights when I get in the shop tomorrow but I think the weight difference between Reba and Sid is very minor. Both are still lighter then the comparable fox forks. The rockshox specs always confuse me because their website doesn't provide much info. You have to go into the service section of the website and find the manuals to get a better idea of exact specs.

I really like the rct3 damper which was one big reason I went with the Sid. If rockshox didn't drop the top tier Reba models I would have definitely went that route to save a little coin. For me, the dual air vs solo air wasn't a deal breaker...so unless your a suspension guy who tweaks everything possible, solo air would probably make more sense. Don't get me wrong, the dual air was nice...but alot of guys had problems setting it up properly, so they dumbed it down.

You also asked about fox...again just my 2 cents but I have always been a huge fox fan until rockshox stepped up their game in terms of quality. Fox did the same as rockshox tho. They got rid of the FIT damper and went with CTD for the set and forget guys. I loved my older non Kashima fit forks and never had issues using full travel. I loved the adjustability. Only thing I didn't like was the weight. My Sid feels equally as stiff and quite a bit less weight. With that said, I'd still ride a fox fork if I had the opportunity. I'm not brand loyal when it comes to components and accessories. I might even opt for the tower pro or one of the xfusion forks next time around...just for comparison purposes. Just ride what you like...don't let the Internet convince you to buy something that you don't need. We all have different opinions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The RCT3 damper is really nice. I'd go with the SID if I were building the bike, and I have two Dual Air Reba RLs. They are good forks for the money, but RCT3 is better.

My experience with running both is SID is a more firm XC fork with pretty rigid small bump compliance, Reba is more of an all around do it all trail fork. I didn't like my SID and could never get it tuned quite right, so sold that.

mtbr member

Rock Shox Reba vs. SID

The SID is, or was, essentially a higher end (basically lighter and racier) Reba until recently. Now only certain options, like the awesome RCT3 damper are available on the SID, as the Reba has been reduced to just theRL, and RLT. I myself have the dual air Reba RL(wanted the tunability) and its an amazing all around fork. Crazy light and very plush. You can get away with the RL model as all the RLT has is an external floodgate to adjust lockout firmness. Reba is also upgradeable to poploc with standard MoCo, Blackbox MoCo, and XX Loc with Balckbox MoCo. Or at least the dual air model is. However, I have heard that due to the SIDs lighter weight it feels a little noodly in comparison to the Reba(different materials). The SID is a great choice though, I'm a huge fan of the white XX model!

Bottom line I'd say Reba for the Trail and Sid for race day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2013 Rockhopper 29- The hot rod fun bike
    2013 Stumpy HT Comp 29- The racin' machine

Just Ride!
    The SID Prototype shown on the Turner at Bike Rumor is a nice black on black. So I wonder if the Reba will be getting this treatment too?

mtbr member

Rock Shox Reba vs. SID

Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    The SID Prototype shown on the Turner at Bike Rumor is a nice black on black. So I wonder if the Reba will be getting this treatment too?
    I think that's Sram's diamond coat stanchion finish. It's apparently super smooth and I think they're used it on their black box stuff for a while.
    2013 Rockhopper 29- The hot rod fun bike
    2013 Stumpy HT Comp 29- The racin' machine

mtbr member
    I have a 110 mm RLT but I want the RCT3. I might swap out the damper. I agree the difference between the RL and RLT is basically nothing. I know this because my fork was supposed to be an RLT. The bike showed up as a RL. I complained and a new RLT damper was put in, no difference that I could tell.
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!