mtbr member
    Dec 2012

rock shocks vs. fox

Im looking for a new fork and would like some opinions. Im looking at either a rock shock reba rlt and a fox f29 rlc?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If you do your own wrenching, you might want to check out the fox site:

WebHelp

and the rockshox service manual

Reba RLT | SRAM

I picked the reba because I thought it would be easier to live with and parts/info is readily available online and even at most LBS in the area. Not sure where this ranks in your list of priorities but I like having gear that is easy to take care of.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Completely personal preference. Plenty of happy riders on both brands forks. I've always ended up with fox suspension, either because a stock bike came equipped with it, or because I got a great deal. I've got both the 100mm and 120mm f29 rlc right now and really like them. I've never had an issue using full travel with fox like others claim. But I would not hesitate to buy either the reba or Sid if a good deal popped up. From what I read on the forums, Rockshox seem to be a little lighter and easier to work on. Depending on the actual model, you should be able to fine tune either brand to your liking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You may also consider a Manitou Tower Pro. The shim stack and valve damping allows user tuning. There is a good thread in Suspensions and in this section.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    between these two definitely F29_RLC

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
    I picked the reba because I thought it would be easier to live with and parts/info is readily available online and even at most LBS in the area. Not sure where this ranks in your list of priorities but I like having gear that is easy to take care of.
    Fox deals directly with the consumer - with RS, you have to go through a LBS. Both have parts readily available and both are easy to service.

You can't really go wrong with either. I would buy the one that I could get the better deal on.

Warrior's Society
    very simple........

6 of one.......or 1/2 dozen of the other.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Neither - White brothers Loop.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have the Fox F29 RLC and I Love it. I would buy another one if needed. Never ridden the Reba.

mtbr member
    I have both. I like the simplicity of the fox compared to my Reba RLT. But -- A friend of mine blew out 3 Fox forks in a matter of 6 months (29'). He swears he'll never buy another, and when he blew his last one (on a week old carbon Giant) I vowed to stay with RockShox also.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I used RS products for years and they performed fine but the QC was way low. Every single RS product had a warranty issue. My Dual Air fork's were plagued w/ air migration problems which sent me to a company w/ excellent CS = Manitou.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    I have both. I like the simplicity of the fox compared to my Reba RLT.
    You clearly have not worked on a FIT cartridge. What an expensive POS.

mtbr member
    I have an OEM Fox F29 RL on my Rumblefish and feel that it is superior in feel and performance over my other rides '11 F29 FIT RLC ( which blows through travel, is noisy, and less supple than the RL- all this despite being worked over by Fox under warranty).
    Both have had their crowns replaced for creaking, and the '10 RL received the kashima stanchions at that time and has been even sweet(er) since.

I'm considering getting rid of the FIT for a SID RLT3 or XX solo air.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hey guys thanks for all the feedback and I am currently looking at the reba. The price is right on it and being farly new to this I figure Im going to have to start somewhere to find out what fits me best

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt60 View Post
    Hey guys thanks for all the feedback and I am currently looking at the reba. The price is right on it and being farly new to this I figure Im going to have to start somewhere to find out what fits me best
    My first *real* suspension fork was a 29" Reba and it's really a great fork. I ride a Fox now but a properly tuned Reba rides just as plush, especially for XC. If you're more hardcore then that's where a Fox shines, IMO.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.