mtbr member
    May 2013

Rim, rims and more rims...

So in looking at rims I am very confused on the type of rim I would be looking at.

for single trail rides, up hill, down hill no major jumping. minor rocks and such. What kind of rim type would be good.

I see all these XC rims. Would that be fine?

Also what would be the max inside rim size one would find out to use?

p.s this is my first post. Thanks for the insight.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Rim, rims and more rims...

Quote Originally Posted by 208Ryder View Post
    So in looking at rims I am very confused on the type of rim I would be looking at.

for single trail rides, up hill, down hill no major jumping. minor rocks and such. What kind of rim type would be good.

I see all these XC rims. Would that be fine?

Also what would be the max inside rim size one would find out to use?

p.s this is my first post. Thanks for the insight.
    Do you mean what is the widest rim available or the widest rim appropriate for your type of riding?

Picking a rim depends on your weight and riding style as well as the terrain and the tire widths you intend to use.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    The riding style you describe is perfect for an XC rim. That said, if you're a bigger guy, you might want a "trail" rim. I'm a bigger guy, and ride a lot like you describe, I went with the trail rim just to be on the safe side. Since I had my wheels built, I could pick whatever, but I went with Pacenti TL28's.

mtbr member
    you are gonna need to give your weight with gear on if you want people to throw out specific rim suggestions. the 2 keys for choosing rims are weight and type of riding (XC/trail/FR/DH).

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I am a bigger guy. I got the bike mainly now for pavement trails here in the city to loose some weight. I'm 345 right now. Down already from 376.

I just not sure what xc rims are like or trail rims. Didn't know there was a difference. I put what kind if trail riding I want to do on my first post.

www.derbyrims.com
    I am a bigger guy. I got the bike mainly now for pavement trails here in the city to loose some weight. I'm 345 right now. Down already from 376.

I just not sure what xc rims are like or trail rims. Didn't know there was a difference. I put what kind if trail riding I want to do on my first post.
    Weight of wheels, and the weight of the bike will not be any real performance factor until a rider is under about 220 lbs. I am 200+ gear and just as fast climbing within a couple seconds per minute on a 32 lb heavy duty suspension bike as a 24 lb xc race bike, both having the same efficient pedaling suspension design (minimal pedaling bob).

For rims or wheels, look at Downhill race durable rims/wheels. At least 23mm inside width (28mm outside width). Wider rims are more stable overall, but heavier (not a factor for your weight now), stiffer than narrower rims for better stability, and require less air in the same tire than a narrower rim, for a smoother ride and more traction in corners.

Azonic Outlaw wheels or rims only are a great deal on a very durable wheelset.
    Azonic Outlaw 29Er Wheelset > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Azonic Mountain Bikes 2013

There are other rim and wheel options, usually more expensive, possibly slightly lighter, these Azonic Outlaw wheels are a great deal, often recommended for heavy duty and DH bike park uses.

mtbr member

Re: Rim, rims and more rims...

I agree with this post. You should get some wider AM rims

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Awesome THank you Derby. There was a set of rims I was looking at and the inside diam is 24mm.

Ill check those out also

mtbr member
    208Ryder- you may also want to consider 36 spoke wheels. They are heavier than 32 or 28 spoked wheels but you are riding for fitness; therefore, I'd go for durability over weight savings.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ppfeifer View Post
    208Ryder- you may also want to consider 36 spoke wheels. They are heavier than 32 or 28 spoked wheels but you are riding for fitness; therefore, I'd go for durability over weight savings.
    My current rims, which are the stock rims are 36 spoke. The rim itself is pretty light to me. It is an "alloy" rim.

mtbr member
    Cool. The rim is only one piece of the puzzle. 36 spokes can help compensate for a "weaker" rim. When you combine a sturdy rim with 36 spokes you should get a bullet proof wheel.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Cool. The rim is only one piece of the puzzle. 36 spokes can help compensate for a "weaker" rim. When you combine a sturdy rim with 36 spokes you should get a bullet proof wheel.

These are only 32 spoke, Being I am on a budget right now as a single father. I found these. Ive read good reviews on them, only thing is some people have gotten a lot of flats with it. Just curious about these since they are not just a single rim type.

BlueSkyCycling.com - WTB Dual Duty XC 29er Rims **Buy 1, Get 1 Free**

The weight on them is actually about 620g not what is on the page.

mtbr member
    Sorry if I have made you uncertain about your purchase. I just want you to have a product that will last. IMO, WTB makes great rims. Dual Duties rims are strong and have eyelets which will allow you to build up the wheels using slightly higher tension. I would use single guage spokes (for greater lateral stiffness) and brass nipples when you build the wheels. What hubs are you going to use?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    You didnt make me uncertain. Ive been looking at these rims for about a week now. so no worries!

The hubs- heh another question. I don't know. I have my stock ones for the time being unless I can find a good pair not too expensive. My current rims have brass nipples with 14gauge steel spokes.

mtbr member
    The hubs- heh another question. I don't know. I have my stock ones for the time being unless I can find a good pair not too expensive. My current rims have brass nipples with 14gauge steel spokes.
    I don't know your level of understanding about wheel building so please forgive me if I insult your knowledge.

If you are planning to reuse components from your old wheels:
    1- Your stock hubs (36 hole) won't work with your new rims (32 hole)
    2- You may not be able to use your old spokes with your new set up.

On another topic, hubs are pretty expensive. Do a search for threads that discuss best hubs for the $. Beware, hubs are a very touchy subject for many MTBR subscribers.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I don't know your level of understanding about wheel building so please forgive me if I insult your knowledge.

If you are planning to reuse components from your old wheels:
    1- Your stock hubs (36 hole) won't work with your new rims (32 hole)
    2- You may not be able to use your old spokes with your new set up.

On another topic, hubs are pretty expensive. Do a search for threads that discuss best hubs for the $. Beware, hubs are a very touchy subject for many MTBR subscribers.

LOL none taken. I am at work so I was in a rush to post that... You make a very good point. ROFL.

I will have to do some research.

Would you say those rims I linked for the cost are a good buy and would work well? If i have to wait and use the stock ones now I will. That way I can build up a "good" pair of rims over time.

mtbr member
    Sure. They are a great price. However, I think you will probably change your mind and want something else if you do a bunch of research. If you search this website you'll probably end up liking Stan's Flow rims or Ringle MTX 33's or WTB I23 or Pacenti rims or Velocity Blunt 35s more. All these get good reviews here. Good luck with your decision. If your old wheels still work then you don't need to rush. Keep reading and you'll be an expert in a couple of days.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The cost is a big factor to for me.

Off to look at hubs .. lol

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I took a look at those WTB I23 and Sunridge Rims and they look like awesome rims.

mtbr member
    If you don't need new wheels right away, I would stick with the current wheels this season as a lot of websites will have good deals near the end of summer/beginning of fall. Last year, wiggle.co.uk was selling Flows with Hope hubs for $300 or something, which was an insanely good deal.

I'm self employeed with 5 figure mortgage payment every month, so I certainly can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars on stuff whenever I want/need them. So what I do is put $100 in a toy fund every couple weeks (I had to make some sacrifices like no more eating out, quitting smoking, going to titty bars with broads who I don't want to see naked etc). With that, it's enough for my bike expenses, RC car expenses, and rainy day fund (had to get a new hot water tank last year, my toy fund took a major damage).
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.